Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Astro Landscapes (Starscapes) with Fuji?

dereksurfs
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Astro Landscapes (Starscapes) with Fuji?

Hi all,

I enjoy shooting landscapes under to stars. I would like to hear from those of you who have tried this with your Fuji systems. If you haven't, speculation is not what I'm after. The reason I ask is that shooting at night under dark skies, away from city lights, brings unique photographic challenges all on its own. Cameras perform differently under these conditions. Though I'm not looking for perfection, just Fuji user experiences since I'm considering one of the newer Fuji models (X-Pro2, X-T2).

I've been shooting night landscapes for a while now with Canon and currently with Sony FF. Overall, I've found Sony mirrorless more challenging to use under these conditions. Though of course it has other strengths apart from these types of shots; and there are workarounds. DSLR's have much nicer OVFs which work better for me in dark areas. With Sony, its really hard to turn off all the LCD and still use the functionality needed to get the shot. Most of my images are longer exposures (30+ seconds) where I do not want the LCD on for that entire duration. I'm wondering how Fuji systems work in these sort of night conditions? Can one turn off the LCD for long exposures at night? How about other challenges like focusing at infinity with stars in focus, long exposure sensor heat producing additional noise, etc...? Anyone on here doing these types of shots? Even if a newbie, I'd like to hear and/or see your experiences with Fuji at night.

Here are a few examples of what I am talking about with the Sony A7:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Seascapes/Big-Sur-II/i-N92t2W7/0/XL/14Aug15_0093a2-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Seascapes/Big-Sur-II/i-bJkd9VR/0/XL/27Nov14_2671c4-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Seascapes/Big-Sur-II/i-sCr6jh9/0/XL/24Dec14_3901b45-XL.jpg

Thanks,

Derek

May 21, 2016 at 05:08 PM
apsphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Astro Landscapes (Starscapes) with Fuji?

Derek,

I have done quite a few with my Fuji systems and have plans to do a lot more, once my fractured vertebrae heals enough for me to start getting out again. I don't have a lot posted but here are a couple with my older xp1.
I have an observatory a couple of hours drive from me and here is a "selfie"
_DSF8889.jpg by Alan Smallbone, on Flickr

And another of the club telescope:
_DSF8900.jpg by Alan Smallbone, on Flickr

I have since upgraded to the XT-1 and find it to be a lot easier than using the mechanical shutter release you needed on the original XP1.
You can turn off the lcd which is what I do. Focusing is pretty easy but for these kinds of shots I use wide angle lenses. The Fuji 14mm f2.8 is outstanding as is the Samyang 12mm. I had to exchange my first 12mm because of the Samyang QA but it seems that is a rare event for the X-mount version. Here is an old article with a shot from Joshua Tree NP.
http://www.aps-photo.com/2014/06/update-on-the-rokinon-12mm-f2-ncs-cs-lens/

I have also done some longer exposure work using a Polarie tracker and the Fuji 60mm.

Focusing is pretty easy and easier than with my Canon for night use. I have not had problems with focusing, I use the LCD on the back and set everything for manual with a Fuji lens, the Samyang is manual already. I zoom in on a bright star and focus.

I still have my Canon dslr, but I have not really used it much, and should probably sell it. I do like the Fuji, the dark noise is very low, it is nice to be able to use higher iso. I am quite happy with it for doing more astro landscapes. That being said, I am really quite excited about the possibilities for the XT-2 and will get one when it comes out, this should be a really great addition for astro-landscapes.

Feel free to PM or email me or ask here any other questions or more specific ones. I will try and gather up some of my other shots and post them. I have also been doing some nighttime VR panos using the Fuji and that is awesome, I plan on doing some more of those this coming summer as soon as I can.

We are not that far apart and maybe one weekend we can meet up if that works. I have not tried the Sony system but I hear a lot of good things about it. I am happy with my Fuji's and the lenses are really excellent. But a camera is a tool in the end.

Alan

May 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Astro Landscapes (Starscapes) with Fuji?

No experience with the Fuji but I do use the Sony NEX6 and Sony A7S. Both with Samyang lenses for Nightscape images. The Samyang lenses like the 8mm f/2.8 fisheye and 12mm f/2 will be excellent choices available in Fuji mount. I use the fisheye on my crop sensor NEX6. I have used a buddies 12mm. Both are good choices that I find easy to focus and give good results.

Also check out Lonely Speck. I think Ian did some night work with the Fuji system.

May 22, 2016 at 04:11 PM
dereksurfs
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Astro Landscapes (Starscapes) with Fuji?

apsphoto wrote:
Derek,

I have done quite a few with my Fuji systems and have plans to do a lot more, once my fractured vertebrae heals enough for me to start getting out again. I don't have a lot posted but here are a couple with my older xp1.
I have an observatory a couple of hours drive from me and here is a "selfie"
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7313/9539682752_b5b3b612d4_b.jpg_DSF8889.jpg by Alan Smallbone, on Flickr

And another of the club telescope:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3783/9539684806_1fcac88f5f_b.jpg_DSF8900.jpg by Alan Smallbone, on Flickr

I have since upgraded to the XT-1 and find it to be a lot easier than using the mechanical shutter release you needed on the
...Show more

Alan,

This is great news and very encouraging! Thanks for taking the time to respond and provide images as well. Its good to know you can turn off the LCD and that focusing is not overly difficult.

Thanks again,

Derek

May 22, 2016 at 09:40 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.