New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon IS failure / repair

Tonsku79

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon IS failure / repair

Hi!
Ok, I have now two defect Canon lenses: EF 24-105 f/4L and EF 100mm f/2.8L IS.
Both having same symptons: When attached to a body, IS unit starts keeping tickling/rattling noise. As I turn on the power, same noise continues and also aperture value on upper LCD screen is blinking beetween f00 and f2.8 or f4.0.
I think it is caused by defect image stabilizer and if so, what is the actual reason within IS unit for this kind of behaviour?
What makes it more interesting is that aperture value keeps blinking/looping even if I disconnect IS and diaphragm units from the PCB!

I really want to repair these lenses by myself, I have fixed at lest 50 lenses (mostly AF and aperture problems etc), so I know what to do. These IS units are just new to me

May 20, 2016 at 02:37 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon IS failure / repair

Ocassionally an IS unit fails because of a crack or break in the plastic cage around it and you actually can fix that.

Most of the time it's electronics and the only solution I know of is replacement of the unit. You can buy the part from Canon. They say it must be electronically calibrated on their software though, which you can't do at home.

What you're describing, though, sounds like it's a broader electronic failure, a simple IS failure shouldn't cause the aperture problems. I don't have all that much electriconic knowledge, but I think that's going to require Canon to diagnose through their software which mere mortals can't access.

May 20, 2016 at 06:35 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon IS failure / repair

don't you find it odd that you have 2 lenses that have the same symptoms ?
1. have you tried a different body ?

2. If you have tried other bodies and the fault still exists then could it be possible that your usual body has caused the problem ?

May 21, 2016 at 09:47 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon IS failure / repair

In rare cases a dodgy battery could be the cause.

May 21, 2016 at 10:40 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon IS failure / repair

When my IS system broke in my 100-400 it had similar symptoms. If I tilted the lens back and forth I could hear something moving inside. The aperture often went to 00 on the top screen. I wasn't sure it was the IS but when I sent it to Canon that is what they replaced. I believe they replaced the entire IS system as it was an expensive (over $400) repair.

May 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon IS failure / repair

My 24-105mm had the same issue. Sent to Canon, it was the IS. It actually took Canon twice to fix it. The first time it came back with the same issue. It was as arbitage stated, an expensive repair. I believe the $400 is about what it cost me too.

May 22, 2016 at 08:35 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon IS failure / repair

It is so rare for the IS to fail, let alone two IS in two totally different lenses, that I would definitely try them on a different camera body before shipping them off for repair.

May 22, 2016 at 10:40 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.