Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

CalBoy87
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

Item updated in the last 24 hours    BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

Price: $1.00
Payment method: PayPal
Item condition: 10 Preowned equipment, but appears as new

Just a warning. Dealing with someone who has locked account (JSPhotos). Want me to show him lens on Skype (NFLEXFILMS - [email protected] (devanuier.retros)).
He is excited in buying the lens, if only I can check his video first....
Than he send me .scr script virus and insist that I turn off virus scanner, so I can download it. He also gave his eBay: gd2095. eBay ID is fake, the real owner already contacted me, asking to report this guy.
Just a warning to others about such a tactic among those less honest...

Edited on May 19, 2016 at 07:40 AM · View previous versions

May 18, 2016 at 11:41 PM
Chdwil
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

Good grief.

May 18, 2016 at 11:46 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

seriously? you willing to chat via Skype? I never bother to chat or even make or accept phone call. Over 200+ transaction with over 100K worth, everything is communicated here at the forum. Take it or leave it. You're too nice.

May 18, 2016 at 11:49 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

...ah, one we haven't thought of yet: never share your Skype ID with anyone you don't personally know, unless you don't mind dealing in Bitcoin.

What will they think of next.

May 18, 2016 at 11:53 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

I received a pm from him as well. Same story as OP.

May 18, 2016 at 11:58 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

Leaving overseas, I understand someone's desire to look at the lens through Skype, before they spend few bucks for shipping. I've done it few times and personally don't see any risk in it. Never though of someone sending me virus through Skype though...

May 19, 2016 at 12:00 AM
LizWangPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

Dang it- I downloaded it but on my phone and sent him my Paypal email. Any advice on how to lock down my systems?

May 19, 2016 at 12:09 AM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

If you didn't click the file, just delete it and you should be OK. If you clicked it already, download some anti-virus program and scan your phone.
As for PP account, giving someone username is not such a threat. Is only problematic when your password is weak. Make sure you have password:
1) min 7-8 characters
2) min 1 number
3) min 1 capitol letter
4) min 1 character (!@#$%^&*()_+)
Hope it helps

May 19, 2016 at 12:21 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

They might get the Paypal password from the phone. I would immediately change me Paypal password from my PC, and not use the phone for any "secure" transactions until everything resolved.

May 19, 2016 at 12:33 AM
LizWangPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

Thanks- I clicked on the file but fortunately the phone didn't know how to handle it. I don't even know how to find the file...

May 19, 2016 at 12:49 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

I am curious do peoples accounts get hacked on here?

I posted an itm for sale today and very quickly got a response from someone. He wanted me to check a video as well. The user had a good score on here so is it possible his account got hacked?

May 19, 2016 at 01:59 AM
toxicboy121

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

I have not sold anything but yes i have bought few things in this forum.
As a buyer at times we could like to see it which gives us much more confidence to go for it or not.
As someone above said, even if you use skype / google chat, the best advice is to not to open any file sent to you, such as exe / scr / jsc / xls.

So far I have never asked to have chat in skype but I feel its safe as long you dont accept any file from the other guy. Sharing PP id, well one has to share it to make the payment, but yes, please do have a strong password.

I do believe there are few in this forum with wrong intention, and we all have to be careful while dealing unless one has a great feedback.

May 19, 2016 at 03:19 AM
Chdwil
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

Well kids, the lesson here is if your going to have unprotected skype with a stranger, your probably going to get a virus. Just remember the only safe skype is to not Skype at all.

May 19, 2016 at 05:07 AM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

Thanks for the warning, got a pm from them about buying my item but no mention of Skype yet. It sounded sketchy so I was going to bail anyway.

May 19, 2016 at 05:19 AM
DesertDog

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

Same thing happened to me. He spooked me and now I'm probably being overly cautious insisting on a good feedback history before I sell.

May 19, 2016 at 06:15 AM
rfregoso

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

You are not alone, check this:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1431166

May 19, 2016 at 02:43 PM
Pepe Guitarra
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

When you accept to Skype with someone, that someone may end up turning your computer on and watching you while you sleep with your own computer. I always put a take on my computer camera to avoid that. And only Skpe with two people.

May 19, 2016 at 02:52 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

As long as you don't accept and execute incoming file, nobody can't do anything to you or your computer, no matter what program you use.
On the side note, his Skype account (NFLEXFILMS) had 371 friends. Then I follow up on his name (devanuier.retros) and found FB page. Wonder, if this is the guy, or it also was hacked.
Worst part is, I already though of getting another lens, after the sale...bummer.

May 19, 2016 at 03:48 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · BEWARE:BUYER SENDING VIRUS

These guys are stealing people's online identities as cover.

Telling you that are that person, steal the images, names, business history.

Unfortunately, you can't just do cursory searches. Send an email via the eBay I'd, through the web site, etc. Get very suspicious if they give you different names or different emails for payment, etc .

Lots Of Scams!!!

May 20, 2016 at 10:26 PM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.