New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

kosin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

I loved my HyperDrive Colorspace backup device for backing up CF and SD cards when traveling. But it is no longer an option after getting a 1DXII and CFast cards...

Other than a laptop, what would you recommend to backup CFast cards with while traveling or on the location?

Is there an external hard drive with an USB port that I could plugin a card reader and copy files without a computer?

Camera can write photos to 2 cards, but videos are written only to 1...

May 18, 2016 at 08:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

you're not gonna like it :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1092641-REG/nexto_di_nesv_nsb25cfask_sony_sb_kit_with.html

you will need some form of processing unit to initiate and control the transfers.

Edited on May 19, 2016 at 08:51 PM · View previous versions

May 19, 2016 at 06:25 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

sjms wrote:
you're no gonna like it :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1092641-REG/nexto_di_nesv_nsb25cfask_sony_sb_kit_with.html

you will need some form of processing unit to initiate and control the transfers.

That's way over my price range and definitely not as portable as I hoped for

I wish that WD made possible to hook up a card reader to this drive: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9B3XZM

May 19, 2016 at 08:22 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

Maybe try a USB reader on the Nexto 2901 OTG port. Mine works with CF and SD card readers, but I've not tried anything else.

EBH

May 19, 2016 at 08:49 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

The lowest cost option is to use the 1DX2 to copy files from the CFast card to a Compact Flash card in the other slot. The camera supports card to card copy in either direction. Might be a bit slow and use up some battery charge, but it requires zero extra gear, and zero extra cost other than CF cards. The next step up may be a laptop and an external CFast card reader.

May 20, 2016 at 12:32 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

sjms wrote:
you're not gonna like it :

The NVS2801 is coming. At less than a pound it is more practical than some other options, but probably pricey. I'll get one at some point.
The NVS2801 is compatible with the Samsung 850 drives, so I can use the 2TB 850 Pro from my 2901.

EBH

May 26, 2016 at 07:38 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

Roland W wrote:
The lowest cost option is to use the 1DX2 to copy files from the CFast card to a Compact Flash card in the other slot. The camera supports card to card copy in either direction. Might be a bit slow and use up some battery charge, but it requires zero extra gear, and zero extra cost other than CF cards. The next step up may be a laptop and an external CFast card reader.

this was going to be my suggestion as well

its not exactly the same but I do much the same on my 5D3 . shoot to my limited supply of CF cards and then copy over to SD when Im not shooting any more . I would think that Cfast to CF would be a ton quicker than going CF to SD on my 5D3

May 27, 2016 at 08:01 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

Thank you all for suggestions!

I just found out about a new Western Digital release, the My Passport Wireless Pro

Some of its features:

Wireless 802.11ac for fast data transfers
SD 3.0 card reader for fast media offloads
10 hour battery
USB power bank to charge mobile devices
USB 3.0 for super-fast transfers
USB 2.0 to transfer media from an external storage device
Plex media server to organize and stream media

The only problem I see is that CFast card reader/camera is connected (transfers data) via USB 2.0 but the price of $199, for a 2TB, is very appealing http://amzn.to/28YRRcu

Jun 27, 2016 at 07:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

Reviews are not so good. A buggy, 1 lb. brick is not so appealing.
I'm not seeing an data on the OTG speed. Has anyone tested it?

EBH

Jun 28, 2016 at 09:21 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

Negative reviews are mostly about the WiFi connectivity. This can be improved via firmware update. I'm more interested with ability of connecting the card reader and dumping data without use of a laptop. For this purpose, 2TB for $199 beats every other solution on the market right now, I think. I wish it was at least USB 3.0 or newest cameras would support copying data tongue external HDD.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

Let us know what DL transfer rates you achieve.

I added 94TB of helium drives, storage server, etc. recently and have no resources to test the WD any time soon.

EBH

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:18 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

I will be buying it in a couple of weeks but I don't expect transfer speeds higher than 25-30 MB/s via USB 2.0 connection.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:42 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

EB-1 wrote:
Let us know what DL transfer rates you achieve.

I added 94TB of helium drives, storage server, etc. recently and have no resources to test the WD any time soon.

EBH

Finally got my hands on the 3TB version of this drive. As expected, download speed is ~25MB/s when connecting a CFast card reader to the USB 2.0 port. It sucks that the speed is so low but at the moment it looks like the best, low cost, solution for backing up CFast cards on the go. The drive is about the size of the CD case, and its thickness is about 3 CD cases stacked together Definitely smaller than the laptop
Also, it doesn't read RAW files. It can copy the RAW files but you cannot view the image on your device (phone/tablet) when connected via WiFi.

According to this review, there is a WD Blue drive inside: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10431/western-digital-my-passport-wireless-pro-wifi-hard-drive-review

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to keep it...

Jul 17, 2016 at 06:26 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

I would assume the 3TB drive is a thicker one and responsible for the bulkiness of the device. The Green drives have been replaced with Blue.

EBH

Jul 17, 2016 at 08:58 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

EB-1 wrote:
I would assume the 3TB drive is a thicker one and responsible for the bulkiness of the device. The Green drives have been replaced with Blue.

EBH

According to specs on BH's website, both devices, 2TB and 3TB, are of the same size: 5"x5"x1". The size of the device is most likely dictated by the size of 10-hour battery (6400 mAh) and other/wireless hardware...

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:02 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Backing up CFast cards on the go

They are so cheap, I'm tempted to buy one just for testing. What are you getting for SD D/L speeds?

EBH

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:27 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.