Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Build my photo processing PC

RobWNY
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Build my photo processing PC

OK, I'm not asking you to actually build it, I have someone I trust to assemble it, a former wedding client I've befriended. He's willing build it on barter for future photo work from me. I just need to give him some guidelines, he will shop the components and construct. I am looking for advise from those hardware savvy photographer's who care to dispense it.

My desired budget is about $2K including a new monitor. I think that is possible, but inform me if I'm completely delirious. The main reason I am not going the Mac route, is I know I can get much more bang for my buck this way.

This will be my main photo processing PC and will be used for little else...perhaps some video editing when I care to dabble with it again.

So lay it on me if you like... Give me your best 2 cents on:

Architecture
Chipset and CPU
Motherboard
SSD/HDD Storage
RAM
Vid Card
Power supply
Case
Monitor

As always, I value and thank you for your input!

May 17, 2016 at 07:28 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Build my photo processing PC

Wait for the next architecture update IMO. Coming soon, within a few months I think.

I can tell you something NOT to get...like a Dell U2713HM monitor (contrast/gradations even in sRGB mode don't give me accurate contrast range, no matter what I've tried).

Probably get the next 6 or 8 core midlevel cpu with high clock speeds.

16-32gb ram most likely.

Vid card only matters if you're going for a really good one for "workstations" which can cost thousands.

Would probably get no less than 700-800watt PSUs nowadays because...why not? Bronze or better power ratings.

A larger case is easier to work inside, and a light colored case is easier to SEE inside.

Edited on May 17, 2016 at 10:00 PM · View previous versions

May 17, 2016 at 09:32 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Build my photo processing PC

Also, assembling a pc is as easy as putting together an ikea bookshelf. To some that means really easy.

May 17, 2016 at 09:42 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Build my photo processing PC

Personally I would not wait for next spin. The skylake is a good processor node.

Pugent sound (custom PC builder already tested i7 vs Xeon) ... basically a draw between 6 core processor and i7 overclocking speed.
I chose processor speed.

And as for Dell monitor... the U2713H (drop the "M") is well worth it. There are other out there too.
Dell 24", the ASUS 24" ( PA-248Q): as long as the monitor is IPS at a min with 100% RGB you are good. Refresh time equal or greater than 5ms.
(Edit: NEC/HP are fine too... maybe more money)

Mid range MOB from ASUS, gigabyte.... $200-ish
Make sure MOB has a couple of USB 3.0 connection for card downloading and or transferring files.
Skylake processor... I prefer i7.
16 gig ram
SSD for OS (128-256gig) (mushkin, sandisk)
SSD for Scratch drive (258-512GIG)
HD for downloads, file storage. (WD)

Any modern video card in the 900 series from Nvidea ... upper 900 would be preferable.
I think 370 to 390 series from AMD based cards.

I am running firepro .... but this is just me.
(me: dual monitor setup - Dell 27" + Dell 24")

$100-ish for a case with some fans for air movement.
Corsair or a couple of other power supplies. 750watt Bronze or above. it will last you for 5+ years.
Win10 for OS ($125-ish)

I can run over to part picker and throw something together....

I recently just upgraded my MOB/Processor/RAM and found a sweet youtube video on how to overclock.
MOB: ASUS Maximus hero III/Processor: i7-6700/ RAM: Corsair 16 gig DDR4.

Overclocked to 4.5GHz.
The overclocking video was fabulous. It was hosted by an asian girl. she is good, speaks very well and provide the reasoning for all the adjustments.
Way - way deeper than I ever wanted to go. MY machine passed the 30 min torcher test easily. Never got above 60C.
The host tells you what additional testing/verification software (freeware to download) to run. way cool.

If you go this route .... I can find the video.

-Mark

ps ..... I edit for other shooters too. Some that shoot Indian weddings. Just saying this is a mid level rig and can pretty much do everything still shooters want.

May 17, 2016 at 10:09 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Build my photo processing PC

Lots of good advice out there so far. I'll not be repetitive and just add to what has been said.

For a case, I can't recommend Fractal enough. I think mine is the R4. Never used or built in a better made, quieter case. Seriously top quality and well thought out. Also, it doesn't look like a damn cyborg dragon. Clean, classy, cool, and quiet. Made in Sweden or Switzerland or someplace like that.

May 17, 2016 at 10:40 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Build my photo processing PC

Do not cheap out on the monitor (but don't go mad either) and factor in GOOD calibration too (esp with wide gamut). Form is right, the colour graduation matters. tftcentral.co.uk has great reviews.

BSPhotog wrote:
it doesn't look like a damn cyborg dragon. Clean, classy, cool, and quiet.

Omg this made me laugh because it is so true of most offering in the 'gamer' range!

Quiet is also very underrated for working for long periods.

May 18, 2016 at 05:23 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Build my photo processing PC

I would still wait on the next gen of 6-8 core processors because it's expected to be a significant performance bump for about the same price as current, and it's only a few months away. I would recommend 6 or 8 cores for LR/etc, preferably pushing 4ghz+ turbos (that can be clocked stable at 4ghz+).

LR is a lot more sluggish when the catalog is NOT on an SSD drive. I would even consider a NVMe SSD via pci express 16x for catalogs....if I plan to use LR.

Definitely get a good display. Only speaking from experience, I still miss my CRT from 2+ years ago because it gave me much better contrast and I could see from black to white without inaccurate clipping.

I don't recommend in-win cases for their fans (all of which started whining within a year) but the case itself seems fine.

May 18, 2016 at 10:37 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Build my photo processing PC

for your viewing..... (overclocking)

this is Joanne Tech Lover channel.
Joanne presents the information really well. seriously.

-Mark

May 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Build my photo processing PC

I'm sure the 6700k is fine for many uses, but I would rather have 6-8 cores because it does make a difference (from my experience). Also, very importantly, 6-8 cores does not cost a massive amount more than the 4-core cpus.

May 18, 2016 at 11:45 AM
RobWNY
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Build my photo processing PC

form wrote:
Wait for the next architecture update IMO. Coming soon, within a few months I think.

I'd love to have the luxury of waiting, but I've already put this off long enough. I need to get it done ASAP. I still work a full time career (hoping to quit it in 1-2 years), and shoot on side with 20 weddings (2 down already), and various other shoots this season. If I don't get it done now, I'll not have the time once I am working 6--7 days a week.

Thank you for your insight and taking time to offer advise!

May 18, 2016 at 12:58 PM
RobWNY
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Build my photo processing PC

Thank you all. This is good stuff and I appreciate you taking the time to offer advise! I'll keep checking back.

May 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Build my photo processing PC

What are you using right now that you can't stand to use for a little longer?

May 18, 2016 at 02:25 PM
RobWNY
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Build my photo processing PC

form wrote:
What are you using right now that you can't stand to use for a little longer?

It's not as much a case that my current setup can't be used for a bit longer. It's more that I will have no time to deal with buying the individual components, loading everything back up, etc. From June until November I'll be working 6-7 days/week 12+ hour days. I have to deal with it while I have a little spare time.

May 18, 2016 at 02:41 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Build my photo processing PC

I've seen good deals on 6700k popping up on slickdeals.net front page weekly. Keep an eye out.

May 18, 2016 at 03:18 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Build my photo processing PC

But you said you're having a friend do the assembly and shopping, so all you need to do is tell him the specs, I thought?

Absolutely sure you're not just pushing to get it done right this instant because...you want it nowwwww?

Coming from a 4930K (2 generations old now), a 6700k wouldn't be an upgrade to me. I'd probably go with the 5930k before a 6700k, but 5930k is about to be outdated in a few months. The point I would end up making with this is that the current available 4-core processors aren't any better for photo editing, as far as benchmarks are concerned, than going with a 2-generations-old, mid-level 6-core processor...and the next step up in real performance is very, very close now.

May 18, 2016 at 03:26 PM
RobWNY
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Build my photo processing PC

form wrote:
But you said you're having a friend do the assembly and shopping, so all you need to do is tell him the specs, I thought?

Absolutely sure you're not just pushing to get it done right this instant because...you want it nowwwww?

Coming from a 4930K (2 generations old now), a 6700k wouldn't be an upgrade to me. I'd probably go with the 5930k before a 6700k, but 5930k is about to be outdated in a few months. The point I would end up making with this is that the current available 4-core processors aren't any better for photo editing, as far
...Show more

Lol. You're doing a pretty good job a swaying me to hold off a bit... soooo hard.

May 18, 2016 at 08:21 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Build my photo processing PC

Broadwell E is about to drop 12th June by all accounts. It will run on the x99 chipset, motherboards for that are available as that's what hatswellE ran on.

They will go from 6-10 cores for the top of the line. But with a 1k plus prime for the 10 cores.

I've been waiting patiently and will upgrade then.

May 18, 2016 at 08:29 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Build my photo processing PC

It seems that the enthusiastic frenzy of wanting to buy new stuff is very similar to the enthusiasm when learning a fresh topic about something: enhanced by lots of exposure (especially self-exposure, e.g. reading, researching, etc., which often happens in bursts) and the effect is short-term. If allowed to escape the focus for some time, the NOW-urge can dissipate.

Since all the above things, to my knowledge, are true and accurate...since you aren't even technically leaving your current full-time employment for 1-2 years; since someone else is shopping for and building the pc based on your requests; and since the next significant update in cpu tech is right around the corner...IMO it makes far more sense to wait right now.

I've had the urge to update my 3-year-old computer for a while, but after I do some gear assembly in a newegg shopping cart that builds the urge/momentum as described above, the next two actions I perform are critical in my reasoning and self-preservation pathway: 1. I don't IMMEDIATELY buy the stuff. I let it sit there for a while in the cart, while I go and do other things. For hours, or even days. 2. I accept and acknowledge that, no matter what I get right now, I won't see any real performance improvement with current models in any situation vs. what I already have been using for 3 years. Once those things are allowed to sink in, I essentially don't sign the patriot act (mentioned per the claimed knee-jerk reflex that it's sometimes referenced as) into law after all...because it's just not necessary.

May 18, 2016 at 08:45 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Build my photo processing PC

bbourizk wrote:
Broadwell E is about to drop 12th June by all accounts. It will run on the x99 chipset, motherboards for that are available as that's what hatswellE ran on.

They will go from 6-10 cores for the top of the line. But with a 1k plus prime for the 10 cores.

That's the point at which I will decide to upgrade or not. It will be the first time since my 4930k when significant performance improvements might actually exist in the same tier (6-8 core cpus).

May 18, 2016 at 08:47 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Build my photo processing PC

form wrote:
That's the point at which I will decide to upgrade or not. It will be the first time since my 4930k when significant performance improvements might actually exist in the same tier (6-8 core cpus).

I'm currently still on 2790
I did upgrade RAM to 32gb recently and added a 1tb ssd for working files.

It's still humming along. Did consider hatswellE but with talk of broadwell I decided to wait.

May 18, 2016 at 09:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.