New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Guy Clark, American Troubador, dies at 74

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Guy Clark, American Troubador, dies at 74

Perhaps my favorite of all the Texas songwriters, Guy Clark, has passed away. I had the pleasure of photographing Guy in the Nevada desert near Hazen, Nevada, a few miles west of Fallon, in 1992. Photographed Guy and Townes Van Zandt that morning and Robert Earl Keen that afternoon. It's a day I'll probably never forget. At least I hope I never do. Guy was best known for how well he told stories in his songs. Each one was like a mini movie unfolding for your ears.

Guy Clark, Hazen, Nevada 1992

May 17, 2016 at 12:19 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Guy Clark, American Troubador, dies at 74

That's too bad. One of my all time favorite song writers and singers.

Great photo of him.

Don

May 17, 2016 at 08:16 PM
Denny JetTone

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Guy Clark, American Troubador, dies at 74

Hi, Peter,

I was looking at this image on your new website just this morning.

One of many well-conceived and well-crafted portraits there.

I’ve already spent some time studying a few of the images, including this one.

Thanks for the post,

Denny

May 18, 2016 at 12:33 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Guy Clark, American Troubador, dies at 74

Thanks Denny. My fingers are sore from playing Guy's song's all night and now playing along with on the stereo. I'm in one of those moods tonight I guess. Here's a couple more from that morning.

May 18, 2016 at 02:12 AM
JimLittle
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Guy Clark, American Troubador, dies at 74

Long admired for wonderful songs...both!!

May 18, 2016 at 08:44 AM
FotoHouse
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Guy Clark, American Troubador, dies at 74

Portraits appear to have been done justice. I have to admit that's the beauty in Photography--our ability to keep these memories in a visual container.

Thanks for sharing.

May 18, 2016 at 04:45 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Guy Clark, American Troubador, dies at 74

Or sometimes to try and tell the story of who that person was or might have been. I never approach musicians as a means of simply keeping those memories alive. The images have to say something about that person otherwise, what's the point. I am never there as a fan, even when I am one. Never.

May 18, 2016 at 05:06 PM
Biggerbeard

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Guy Clark, American Troubador, dies at 74

Peter Figen wrote:
Or sometimes to try and tell the story of who that person was or might have been. I never approach musicians as a means of simply keeping those memories alive. The images have to say something about that person otherwise, what's the point. I am never there as a fan, even when I am one. Never.

Ok...and what story was being told by your photos mate? Honestly now and I am not trying to be rude, but what story would these photos tell us without you even mentioning who and what it was about?

If I had not even known who this musician was and you had the photo alone? Exactly, it would just look like a random shot of a guy squinting his eyes or smiling and another with his friend. The true fact is the memory is yours and only you can tell that story.

May 19, 2016 at 12:14 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Guy Clark, American Troubador, dies at 74

You can either "read" the story or you can't. If you can't, you can't and maybe that image isn't for you. Sorta like when Robert Keen asked his guitar player to play the solo like a purple sunset felt to him. You either get it or you don't. The lighting, expression, location, composition, attitude, wardrobe, choice of color or black and white, film type (in this case), all go in to the telling of the story, and how you use all those elements shapes the story you're trying to tell. It's really quite a bit more than just retaining a memory. I've already got that. I was there.

May 19, 2016 at 02:45 AM
Biggerbeard

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Guy Clark, American Troubador, dies at 74

Peter Figen wrote:
You can either "read" the story or you can't. If you can't, you can't and maybe that image isn't for you. Sorta like when Robert Keen asked his guitar player to play the solo like a purple sunset felt to him. You either get it or you don't. The lighting, expression, location, composition, attitude, wardrobe, choice of color or black and white, film type (in this case), all go in to the telling of the story, and how you use all those elements shapes the story you're trying to tell. It's really quite a bit more than just retaining
...Show more

You still don't get it mate, you are sharing that memory now. And how do you think you were able to tell the story? If this isn't recalling a memory of when you took his photo...then you are lost in translation. Get out of here with all that oversentimental you get or not bs. Truth is the photo tells no story of him with music. A guitar would've helped tremendously and he would've liked that too.

You aren't the only person who has met him. This is a niche photo and I get that, but you can't explain to someone who actually complimented you that they are supposed to "get it" over something they know nothing about.

May 19, 2016 at 12:39 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.