New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · First portraits

Dave_McGowen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First portraits

I primarily photograph wildlife and feel comfortable with that, but you know how all of our family and friends think all photography is the same. Well, I was talked into doing some portraits for a friend's daughter.....my very first portraits ever.

I plan on sticking with wildlife, but I would like to do a decent job at portraits if asked. Any feedback or suggestions would be very welcome, I have thick skin. I used 1 off camera flash.

Thanks for looking, Dave

© Dave_McGowen 2016

© Dave_McGowen 2016

© Dave_McGowen 2016

© Dave_McGowen 2016

© Dave_McGowen 2016

Edited on May 16, 2016 at 09:01 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2016 at 08:08 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First portraits

For picture 1 I'd have her take a big step toward you, take her left shoulder and point it towards you a little. Straighten her head, but turn it toward you, and bring down the chin a little. I like what she's doing with her jacket there. Similar to 3(which I like) but I'd like her chin down a little, and I'd probably crop a little tighter.

The dandelion isn't quite at the right phase to do the old wistful blow into the wind, but it's not a flower either, so that shot doesnt quite work for me.

edit, numbering your photos makes feedback easier! And this is good stuff, you're on the right track.

May 16, 2016 at 08:56 PM
FotoHouse
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First portraits

Thanks for sharing. I like the expressions.

May 17, 2016 at 12:16 AM
Dave_McGowen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First portraits

Thank you for the responses. Vcook, I can see perfectly (now) how your suggestions would improve the pose. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

Dave

May 17, 2016 at 08:56 PM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First portraits

Nice first portraits!

#1. I suggest that, a more flattering angle, would be to shoot slightly down on her. This would bring her chin down and make it more defined and a slimmer neck. It is also more flattering to have her hip turned toward you with her weigh on her back leg.

#2. Again, shooting slightly above her helps slim the chin/neck and makes it more defined (no double chin.) The lighting is a bit harsh and the tint looks off (a bit green.) I agree that the dandelion does not work well unless she is blowing.

#3. I love the light here! Very sweet smile and I like the angle; just shooting slightly above her would define her jaw better.

#4. This one is a bit "posed" and she doesn't look relaxed. Nice light, but the WB seems cool.

#5. I like the light, angle of her body, and expression is fun. Just avoid shooting "up" as before.

These are a nice first session. Everything looks exposed well, sharp, and beautiful model. I am not a flash user, but I do see some glare from the flash on her forehead/body. Just something to watch. Nice job!

May 18, 2016 at 08:50 AM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First portraits

The separation in the last ones made for a better image in my opinion.

I think she was a really willing participant and that she enjoyed the session with #3 being the one that I like her in the best.

A softer setting,with less hard structure of industrial buildings, for this smiling girl would have been a more suitable, casual, and less distracting background for the features for this pretty girl as she was dressed and coiffed.

Which was her fave?

May 20, 2016 at 06:02 PM
Dave_McGowen
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First portraits

Thank you "KristinSmall" and "GeorgieGirl" for your input and advice, I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind. I think she liked #3 the best. I too would have picked a prettier background, this was her choice. I think she was going for an urban looking background.

Again, thank you for the feedback. Dave

May 24, 2016 at 10:09 PM
pitbullo

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First portraits

I think KristinSmall gave an excellent feedback. I just wanted to say that #5 is my favorite. She looks happy, and the pose seems natural. Lighting is also very nice.

May 25, 2016 at 03:16 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First portraits

Only thing I'd add is to watch your backgrounds. Figure out how to utilize them, or use a longer focal length/wider aperture lens so that you can isolate the subject a bit more.

Image 3 shows joy and the 5th shows confidence - I always like portraits that help show a person's character, so well done there!

May 26, 2016 at 11:18 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.