Dancers from high school.

Mado 2016

Mado 2016

May 15, 2016 at 07:26 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · On Baker st

Are you delivering images like this to a client? Or is this for personal use? The processing seems incredibly heavy handed and not even a little bit realistic. They seem like a rescue-job from a poorly captured file. I think this heavy handed processing kind of worked for the guy with the guitar in your other post (still wasn't something that appealed to me, but the pose and clothing made the processing acceptable) but for dancers, well, it just doesn't work at all, IMO. For me, of course.
It looks as though you've tried to recover highlights to a very large degree. Especially evident on the girl on the bottom left (the redhead). Her skin and hair look terrible, artificial. Your other posts with the dancers are, to varying degrees, just as "off" as the images here.
Were these images "rescues"? Did you blow the exposure and are just trying to salvage something?

May 16, 2016 at 03:12 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · On Baker st

Interesting to see all your series on dancers. I didn't even notice that the images were over processed. Of course, I have cataracts and I probably can't see as well as Johnathon.
Keep posting them.

May 16, 2016 at 09:20 AM
Mado
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · On Baker st

DaveOls wrote:
Interesting to see all your series on dancers. I didn't even notice that the images were over processed. Of course, I have cataracts and I probably can't see as well as Johnathon.
Keep posting them.

Thank you for your positive comment.

May 16, 2016 at 09:36 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · On Baker st

I have to agree with Johnathan. For example, the blue of the right hand sitting girl is glowing over the background.

I think the core problem is that they were shot in super high contrast light though.

May 16, 2016 at 09:41 AM
Mado
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · On Baker st

Ian Boys wrote:
I have to agree with Johnathan. For example, the blue of the right hand sitting girl is glowing over the background.

I think the core problem is that they were shot in super high contrast light though.

Thank you for your comment. It was in the early morning and the light was very difficult.

As for Johnathan, some parts of his comment are offensive and not relevant to photography.

May 16, 2016 at 09:46 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · On Baker st

I like the posing and composition(particularly the first shot) but agree that this series has, in my opinion, unusual processing.

May 16, 2016 at 09:52 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · On Baker st

Yes I know how that feels:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1428597/0#13546276

May 16, 2016 at 09:56 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · On Baker st

Mado wrote:
As for Johnathan, some parts of his comment are offensive and not relevant to photography.

My apologies. I meant no part of my post to be offensive and, in my mind, all of my post is relevant to photography. I'll go through, piece by piece, and try to explain further in the hopes that it illuminates my thinking and the relevance to photography.

Jonathan Brady wrote:
Are you delivering images like this to a client? Or is this for personal use? The processing seems incredibly heavy handed and not even a little bit realistic. They seem like a rescue-job from a poorly captured file.

The reason I asked this is I'm curious about the final result. Are these images for "personal use"? If so, then realistically, you can process them however you want. However, if they're for a paying client, my follow up question was going to be: Did you show them work like this prior to an agreement being made for your services? Or: Are they happy with the results? Because as I mentioned, to me (personal opinion here), the result, if not expected, is unlikely to be satisfactory to someone paying to have images taken of their dance team due to the processing making the images look unnatural. So, everything there was related to photography, IMO.

Jonathan Brady wrote:
I think this heavy handed processing kind of worked for the guy with the guitar in your other post (still wasn't something that appealed to me, but the pose and clothing made the processing acceptable) but for dancers, well, it just doesn't work at all, IMO. For me, of course.

This was me showing that I had viewed all of your recent prior posts and pointing out that the processing itself isn't necessarily objectionable (guitarist), but that you might want to consider selectively applying this type of processing to appropriate subjects (IMO, dancers aren't the appropriate subjects - especially classically trained dancers in High School). Again, all aspects of the original post, IMO, relate to photography.

Jonathan Brady wrote:
It looks as though you've tried to recover highlights to a very large degree. Especially evident on the girl on the bottom left (the redhead). Her skin and hair look terrible, artificial.

I'm not sure how the above wouldn't be seen to be related to photography. I didn't criticize the model, I criticized the processing of the photo and how it made her look unnatural. In fact, I actually find redheads to be fascinatingly beautiful. My dad is. My aunt is (dad's sister). My best friend is. My wife is. My son is. People joke with me that when they see a redhead, they assume I know them. Seriously. I'm surrounded by them and I love them dearly. So I was absolutely NOT criticizing the model. But, seeing as how I have some experience photographing them, I know what their skin looks like when you slam the highlight slider to the left. It looks really, really bad. Like you made the model look in the image above. So again, this was not a personal attack. This was feedback on your processing choice, which is directly related to photography.

Jonathan Brady wrote:
Your other posts with the dancers are, to varying degrees, just as "off" as the images here.

More of the same processing feedback that I provided before. So, still related only to photography and not a personal attack.

Jonathan Brady wrote:
Were these images "rescues"? Did you blow the exposure and are just trying to salvage something?

These are genuine questions. I was curious to know if the images were being rescued from poor exposure. I think it's a legitimate, and PURELY photographic question. No personal attack, we all blow exposures. If you indicated that these were rescues, I was going to recommend at least 2 things. 1) post the original raw files (assuming they're raw files) and allow members to play around with them a bit and see if we can't come up with something more aesthetically pleasing (assuming this is for a paying client) and/or 2) reshoot.

Again, my intention was NOT to insult anyone. If me asking questions and providing candid feedback is what you found offensive, then I'm sorry. I didn't realize you weren't posting in hopes of receiving feedback, and merely posting as a way to exhibit your work. If that's the case, I know for next time and I offer my sincerest apologies.

All the best...

May 16, 2016 at 10:38 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · On Baker st

I have only seen one previous set and I left a comment on that. These two seem quite different in terms of the processing and effect although the subject matter--young dancers--is the same. I think the composition of #1 is very good. The leader standing while the others crouch is a good example of the 'one differs from many' strategy. I might have moved the entire group to the left one foot so the leader is in the doorway and the dancer to the far right is not touching the pipe. I think the strong lighting is problematic in terms of getting overly bright patches of skin but, I think this particular conversion is more about the heightened texture and the poses than realistic skin tones. Excellent straight lines in the shot, too. The dappled lighting in the second is more problematic as, being a more straightforward color shot, I would want to see more realistic skin tones. But, some are blown and some dancers are in full sun while others are in shade. This shot taken at night with controlled lighting might work very well. Also the poses seem backwards. The dancers in the back should be facing into the frame and those on the bottom should turn 180 degrees. More room would be good in the front and a little more on the right so the one dancer's hand is not so close to the edge.

May 16, 2016 at 12:55 PM
FotoHouse
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · On Baker st

I think they look fine. Just a different style is all. I like the shadow story in the second image.

May 17, 2016 at 12:24 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · On Baker st

Taste and vision can change and evolve overtime. It may be that right now this type of processing is your taste. Personally as many others have mentioned if does look artificial. just keep shooting and keep working on improving. I look at some of my images and processing I did the first several months of shooting. It's amazing how things change so much overtime. I always wonder in 5 years how much more my taste, abilities, the way I look and use light will evolve in all aspects in photography.

May 17, 2016 at 05:54 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.