Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

snegron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

I'm currently not having any issues with my 7dmk2 (bought it new last November). However, just out of curiosity, has anyone had an issue with shutter failure after several thousand shots? Not sure what the manufacturer'r shutter life rating is for the 7dmk2 (I think I read somwhere it was somewhere near 100,000 clicks or so).

Again, not that I am worried about it for now. I'm thinking maybe sometime in the future when I take it on some "once in a life time vacation" if I should keep in the back of my mind that after a certain amount of shutter clicks it might fail, therefore maybe consider either a back up or replacement when I get closer to that milestone.

Edited on May 14, 2016 at 07:35 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2016 at 07:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

The shutter is designed for 200,000 cycles, but actual life can vary considerably between units and depending on usage patterns.

EBH

May 14, 2016 at 07:35 PM
snegron
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

EB-1 wrote:
The shutter is designed for 200,000 cycles, but actual life can vary considerably between units and depending on usage patterns.

EBH

Thanks! I have had a couple of dslr's fail on me in the past (different brand); one due to high levels of humidity, another due to a manufacturing issue (actually failed the day I purchased it). On the other hand, I have been lucky with several dslr's I purchased used; not knowing the shutter count they had before buying them.

May 14, 2016 at 07:43 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

There are many factors that affect shutter life, heat is the biggie, as it is for all things mechanical and electronic. Humidity might also be a issue. Shutter speed is another. If you drive your car at full speed all the time, something will fail sooner than if you were to drive at a normal speed. I doubt if anyone uses 1/800 sec all the time, but its another variable.

Usually a design life is the point where X % have failed, maybe 50%. Some wishfully think that the first failure would happen then, but that's not the way it works.

May 14, 2016 at 09:33 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

snegron wrote:
I'm thinking maybe sometime in the future when I take it on some "once in a life time vacation" if I should keep in the back of my mind that after a certain amount of shutter clicks it might fail, therefore maybe consider either a back up or replacement when I get closer to that milestone.

Don't bother with a straight replacement as long as everythng is clicking over just fine. Consider an upgrade when the time comes.

As to some "once in a life time vacation", buy a used Rebel for a few hundred bucks and sell it for the same price when you get back. Unless the vacation is a wildlife safari. But then again if it truly is a once-in-a-lifetime, it probably isn't cheap so would a second 7D2 be so bad? In any case, you can still buy a used 7D2 and sell it for the same price when you get back.

Don't fret !

Don't worry much at all about problems that are likely to never happen. The most likely event is that the 7D2 will perform flawlessly until you get tired of it and want to upgrade.

May 14, 2016 at 09:53 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

scalesusa wrote:
Shutter speed is another. If you drive your car at full speed all the time, something will fail sooner than if you were to drive at a normal speed. I doubt if anyone uses 1/800 sec all the time, but its another variable..

(Assuming you meant 1/8000s rather than 1/800s.)

I really doubt that using fast shutter speeds would reduce the life of the camera at all, due to the way the focal plane shutter works.

A focal plane shutter consists of two curtains which proceed one after the other across the sensor, exposing a strip of it to light. The actual speed of those curtains is the same, regardless of shutter speed. All that happens when you change the shutter speed is that the camera waits a different amount of time between setting off the two curtains. The longer the wait, the bigger the slit and therefore the longer the exposure. The curtains are moving very quickly, even for the slowest speed.

As for replacing the camera before a big trip, this is the last thing I would do. The bathtub curve is a well-known phenomenon in which electronic products tend to fail at the start and end of their lives, but not in between. I would always do a one-in-a-lifetime trip with a camera I'd had for a while (in my mind, 6-12 months at least, although I have no data to suggest that's right). Something as simple as too much oil in the mirror box—which clears up with normal use and cleaning—could bring you undone with a new camera.

May 15, 2016 at 08:11 AM
howard
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

Nothing to worry about, just enjoy the camera.

I always use 2 bodies anyway (right now it's the 7DII and 5DII). I use one for telephoto and one for wide-to-normal. They also share the same batteries and act like backups for each other if emergency happens (hopefully nothing).

During on trip 10 years ago I had with me a D60 (not 60D!) and the original 5D in Hawaii. Sea water got into the 5D and ruined it, at least for that trip (miraculously the water eventually dried out and the camera started to work again some time later). I ended up using the 60D for most of the trip. But I digress.

So, nothing to worry about, but always bring a backup

May 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

On my trips I rarely carry a second DSLR body but do bring a compact as a second camera. And I also have my iPhone along (and maybe a GoPro too).

May 16, 2016 at 05:44 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

snegron wrote:
I'm currently not having any issues with my 7dmk2 (bought it new last November). However, just out of curiosity, has anyone had an issue with shutter failure after several thousand shots? Not sure what the manufacturer'r shutter life rating is for the 7dmk2 (I think I read somwhere it was somewhere near 100,000 clicks or so).

Again, not that I am worried about it for now. I'm thinking maybe sometime in the future when I take it on some "once in a life time vacation" if I should keep in the back of my mind that after a certain amount
...Show more

Yup, you basically have answered your own question. If it's really important, 'carry a backup' Sh** happens
Had a 1D series fail on me after 31,000, it was replaced free of charge but had my backup along so was able to keep going.

May 16, 2016 at 09:06 AM
KSgal

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

snegron wrote:

Again, not that I am worried about it for now. I'm thinking maybe sometime in the future when I take it on some "once in a life time vacation" if I should keep in the back of my mind that after a certain amount
...Show more

So far *knocks on wood* I haven't heard of any failures.. and I inhabit several large forums. I currently have over 40,000 on mine (added 1000+ this weekend). In my mind, how you store/treat it plays a role, I try never to leave mine out in the car, for example.. the extremes of heat/cold has to have a cost with it, I would think, so I avoid that, even though I would take the camera out in heat/cold for shooting without a worry.

May 16, 2016 at 11:41 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

I think I got 150k out of a rebel XT. And that's a conservative estimate. Probably got 100k+ out of 30D & 40D. So I don't worry about it as much now.

But pretty much any camera, car, blender, etc can fail, so its good to have a backup camera. Not that I always do, but ideally its good.

T2i's and 40D's are relatively cheap now. A 10D is probably under $100, and way better than nothing. Watch batteries, though

May 16, 2016 at 12:07 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · True Shutter Life of 7dmk2?

My 7D had 400,000 on it when I sold it last year. I have a friend with a 7D with over 600,000 and she still uses it occasionally (has 7D MkII). I always pack/carry a backup and will shoot with 2 cameras all the time.

I think it's a holdover from the film era when I routinely carried 3 to 5 cameras on assignments. I had two or three loaded with color film (Kodachrome 25, 64 or 200) and two or three loaded with various speeds of B&W. I always carried a few rolls of color neg and ISO 6400 Konica color neg. film. You'd never know what you might need. Just like today, so carry a spare.

May 16, 2016 at 05:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.