Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Second Body Question (Canon)

ogerisg321
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Second Body Question (Canon)

So I need some advice on picking a second/back up body.

I've been playing devils advocate for the past few months shooting with only one body after getting rid of my 7D, but now that my wedding season is really picking up I need a second body and I have a couple options.

Option 1: 1D Mark IV - I've heard that it's a great overall body and pairs well with the 5DM3 (current body). I can essentially get this body for the cost of my 100L and $100 in a trade to a good friend.

Option 2: 6D - Another amazing body that I've heard great things about and have plenty of friends that shoot with it only and love.

Option 3: Mirrorless (Fuji XT-1, Fuji X-Pro 1 or Sony A7) I've always been fascinated by this body because of the fact that they pack a big punch in a such a little body.

Realistic I'm looking to spend no more than $1500 on a second body and feel I can easily get one of the three with my budget.

May 14, 2016 at 02:59 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Second Body Question (Canon)

There's lots to like about the 6D for personal shooting, but IMO the autofocus isn't event-worthy. My associates who shoot with them have a much lower keeper ratio (in regards to focus) than any other modern camera I can think of. Compared to a 7D (legacy or MkII) reception auto focus is a giant step backward. A crop body that focuses well brings more bankable images than a full frame camera that doesn't. My opinion, of course.

May 14, 2016 at 04:01 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Second Body Question (Canon)

LeeSimms wrote:
There's lots to like about the 6D for personal shooting, but IMO the autofocus isn't event-worthy. My associates who shoot with them have a much lower keeper ratio (in regards to focus) than any other modern camera I can think of. Compared to a 7D (legacy or MkII) reception auto focus is a giant step backward. A crop body that focuses well brings more bankable images than a full frame camera that doesn't. My opinion, of course.

Thanks for the input. I honestly was just going to get a 7DMII initially, but then options were offered to me and I don't like having options because I usually make a bad decision.

May 14, 2016 at 06:43 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Second Body Question (Canon)

7D2's pretty solid. We have two. Tracks really well. AF points go to the edge of the finder. Images are great up to 6400. Colors fall apart after that.

May 15, 2016 at 01:32 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Second Body Question (Canon)

Pick up a used 5D3. $1800.00 to $2100.00.

Can you say credit card?

I liked your images, clean and crisp.

Jus my thoughts.

Sam

May 15, 2016 at 11:17 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Second Body Question (Canon)

1DsIII

May 15, 2016 at 11:24 AM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Second Body Question (Canon)

My 6D's focus fine. I have all my lens micro adjusted and as long as you stay with the center point for focus in iffy light you will be fine. That said once I bought the 5DIII and could use all the outer pooint without issue it makes me want to purchase another one and sell one of my 6D's

May 15, 2016 at 07:27 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Second Body Question (Canon)

Exactly. That focus and recompose routine costs you shots.

May 16, 2016 at 08:36 AM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Second Body Question (Canon)

Thanks for the responses. I think I know what I'm going to do.

My friend is going to let me hold the 1DMIV for a wedding to see if I like shooting with it. If I don't, I'm just going to buy another 5DM3.

May 16, 2016 at 10:32 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Second Body Question (Canon)

I've used an original 5D for 6 years as a backup. The imagery from the original is still my favorite despite newer, faster cameras.

May 17, 2016 at 08:13 AM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Second Body Question (Canon)

5d mark ii's are dirt cheap too and a good option.

May 17, 2016 at 08:43 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Second Body Question (Canon)

I love my 5D classic as a personal camera, but anything before the 6D/5d3 won't control Canon wireless lights in Group Mode (or any third-party clone that's hacking into the protocol). For event work, a 7D (to backup a modern rig) would be a better replacement.

May 17, 2016 at 11:24 AM
KSgal

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Second Body Question (Canon)

5D II's are the same issues as a 6D - If you already have a 5D3, either a 5D3 or a 7DII makes sense, and the bodies are easy to go back and forth between.

May 17, 2016 at 04:36 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Second Body Question (Canon)

I'm going to say Canon 80D. Pretty good focusing system, and can sub in as main if your main goes down. It's a great all around camera.

May 17, 2016 at 04:40 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Second Body Question (Canon)

Make a full-frame 80D and call it a 6DmkII and you'll sell a ton. Hard to fault the 80D, except they have wicked drifting camera clocks. Holy cow - up to 10 seconds a day.

May 17, 2016 at 05:15 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Second Body Question (Canon)

When I had 1 body, Iʻve borrowed a 6D a few times because I thought about getting one. No joystick was a deal breaker for me, and the lack of AF points. A friend of mine was letting go a 5D3 for a price i could not refuse. Made the purchase, did not look back. Having 2 of the same bodies helped a lot.

May 18, 2016 at 04:43 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Second Body Question (Canon)

I have two 6D's and a 5DIII. I actually love the 6D's a lot more than the 5DIII....especially when it comes time for the receptions.

May 18, 2016 at 09:53 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.