Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

Bizuca

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

Well I got the D750 and a AF-S 85mm f/1.8G so while trying to take group shots 3 or more people I can't get the whole group in focus even shooting at f5.6 or even f11.I'm shooting A priority.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thank you

May 14, 2016 at 01:11 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

You can calculate your depth of field here:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

If all subjects were within the depth if field then you need to make sure your shutter speed was above 1/85 max if handholding and subjects stay very still (1/200 would be better). If that does not do it, look into focus adjustment.

May 14, 2016 at 01:57 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

Why are you doing group shots with an 85 and not something wider?

If you're not getting entire group to focus at f11, then your lens fine tune might be off and needs adjusted or shutter speed is too low.
Try 1/200 f5.6 with auto iso in manual mode. If it doesn't focus, it's your lens.
Your depth of field should be more than enough at f11

May 14, 2016 at 01:59 PM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

Just make sure you're not at the MFD. The DOF will be somewhat shallow even at f/11 if you shoot at MFD.

May 14, 2016 at 02:17 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

I have had issues with things being in focus with my 85mm 1.8/G, thinking it might
be a lens issue as I have no problems with other lenses.

May 14, 2016 at 02:38 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html Is your friend. At 10 feet your DOF using f8 is 2 feet. If your subjects are further apart than this they will be outside your DOF guides.

DOF often confounds those learning the intricacies of the camera, just as f stops do. Hang in there. You have the right idea.

Play with various shooting distances, lens focal lengths and shooting distances. It's a great way to learn.

May 14, 2016 at 02:45 PM
Jay Adeff
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

Depth of field is dependent on just two factors: Lens aperture (focal length of lens divided by actual diameter of lens opening), and reproduction ratio (size of object divided by size of actual image on the film or sensor). Both of these are ratios, and thus have dimensionless units. So, regardless of the focal length of the lens being used, the only way to increase depth of field is to use a smaller aperture, or decrease the reproduction ratio by moving further away from the subject. The former has a limit because lens sharpness decreases at very small apertures, and the latter would necessitate a bit of cropping if you want a tighter composition. Most people have a hard time understanding that simply changing the focal length of the lens, and then moving closer or further away to maintain the composition will not change depth of field. The only thing it will change is the field of view, which is why longer focal length lenses give more pleasing backgrounds for portraits.

May 14, 2016 at 08:38 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

I find with larger groups getting high up above them helps. Climb a step ladder. Be 8, 9 feet tall. Angle the camera down. BOOM same depth of field as far as the sensor plane is concerned, but much improved "effective" depth of field for any given aperture from the front of the group to the back.

May 14, 2016 at 09:12 PM
Jay Adeff
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

That's an excellent method for increasing apparent depth of field, and having the subjects look up slightly is very thinning and flattering.

ChiShutter wrote:
I find with larger groups getting high up above them helps. Climb a step ladder. Be 8, 9 feet tall. Angle the camera down. BOOM same depth of field as far as the sensor plane is concerned, but much improved "effective" depth of field for any given aperture from the front of the group to the back.

May 14, 2016 at 09:20 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

Best lens for photographing people in general is the 24-70mm on the D750. Wide enough for 4-6 people indoors and 40 or more people outdoors.

If everyone in a group is in a straight line the ones at the outer ends will be further from the camera. Not a problem with a 24mm focal length but definitely one with an 85mm lens.

Prime lenses have their place but they are very restrictive as you have found with your 85mm. Not a problem if you work within the limitations of the lens.

May 15, 2016 at 01:31 PM
shekarn64
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

As others have commented, 85 mm, the DOF will be very shallow. Try using at least 50mm.

50 1.8D or G is an excellent lens for group shots.

May 15, 2016 at 01:56 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

What other glass do you own?

While it is possible to shoot groups with an 85, I tend to only use that FL for portraits of one or two people max. If you have a 28 or 35 try that next time.

May 15, 2016 at 09:46 PM
jmai86
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

If you absolutely must use an 85mm, you'll have a hard time getting every face in focus if you're filling the frame with head/shoulders, even at higher f-stops. If this is the case, try taking multiple photos, single point focused on each face for each shot at F5.6 or so, and then stack all of the frames together in Photoshop. Voila, shallow depth of field, frame filling group shot with every face in focus!

Of course this isn't ideal. Just use a 35mm and be done with it.

May 16, 2016 at 12:43 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

I don't understand some of the replies here. If you fill the frame with a 50, or an 85, your DOF is identical at the same aperture setting. The focal length is not your problem.

Are you focusing on the nearest person's eyes? You're losing half of your DOF if you are. Try focusing at a point closer to the center of your DOF. Use the DOF calculator posted above to peg a good spot for your focus point.

May 16, 2016 at 06:21 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hard time while taking group shots !!!

Not nearly enough info here to answer your question. If you have 3 subjects shot at f/11 and they aren't all in focus, something else is up. Maybe you're mistaken and have camera shake, or perhaps they are in a single file line at MFD? Shooting 3 people at f/11 shouldn't be a problem. Share your photo and we can help find the actual problem.

May 16, 2016 at 01:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.