New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Death and Life

WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Death and Life

Two of the mothers day roses were dead, but they had a beauty about them. So I tried to combine the withering up and death of the roses with the 23 Psalm which is read at a lot of funerals. The Bible being the life and going through the valley of death but not being alone.

There is a lot more symbolism I can go into, but I am interested in what you think. My wife thinks it is dark, I see hope.

Thanks for looking

Walt

May 13, 2016 at 11:33 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Death and Life

It has symbolism, but it seems to me that too much explanation is required. Good idea however.

May 13, 2016 at 11:42 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Death and Life

WalterF wrote:
Two of the mothers day roses were dead, but they had a beauty about them. So I tried to combine the withering up and death of the roses with the 23 Psalm which is read at a lot of funerals. The Bible being the life and going through the valley of death but not being alone.

There is a lot more symbolism I can go into, but I am interested in what you think. My wife thinks it is dark, I see hope.

Thanks for looking

Walt

I like your concept Walt. One suggestion I have is that I'd like to be able to read the last paragraph of the psalm which in your photo is blurred and in shadow.

Steve

May 13, 2016 at 12:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Death and Life

Not feelin' it on this one.

I always took the 23rd Psalm to do more with encountering, and passing through the trials and tribulations of the world about us (along with its hazards) ... more so that being really about death & dying.

To me, the 23rd Psalm is more about setting your mind at ease amid potential trouble, knowing that you are being led to a place beyond the dark of troubles that we all pass through at times ... those things that "kill' the spirit, moreover than literal death, or the preparation for death.

Personally, I always thought it wasn't really an appropriate passage for funerals ... instead a recognition that God is there to help get us through the "dark" times. Death, otoh is the transition mechanism (get on the bus, Gus) away from this world, so I really don't associate 23rd Psalm with dying, but rather successful living, even when perils might abound. Taking note that the opening versus are about steerage toward rest / calm / peace / contentment (i.e. not want) and the last ones are about bounty and goodness throughout life.

Personally, I think this one is a mismatch regarding the message(s) / symbolism ... but, it is YOUR message that your image is presenting, so as always ... your message, your pic, your call @ what you want to convey to others. Put in color with more "life" in the roses and I think "hope" will convey better. Just my .02

On a technical / composition note, the flowers look flat / crushed ... kinda messes with my sense of depth a bit> Not sure if that is the physical pressed flower thing, or PP that makes it look a bit off for me.

May 13, 2016 at 01:09 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Death and Life

ben egbert wrote:
It has symbolism, but it seems to me that too much explanation is required. Good idea however.

Thank you Ben, agreed photo should stand on its own. Don't get em all.

Walt

May 13, 2016 at 03:07 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Death and Life

eeneryma wrote:
I like your concept Walt. One suggestion I have is that I'd like to be able to read the last paragraph of the psalm which in your photo is blurred and in shadow.

Steve

Steve, the second rose and the lack of depth of field is an issue.

Thanks for your comments.

Walt

May 13, 2016 at 03:09 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Death and Life

RustyBug wrote:

I always took the 23rd Psalm to do more with encountering, and passing through the trials and tribulations of the world about us (along with its hazards) ... more so that being really about death & dying.

To me, the 23rd Psalm is more about setting your mind at ease amid potential trouble, knowing that you are being led to a place beyond the dark of troubles that we all pass through at times ... those things that "kill' the spirit, moreover than literal death, or the preparation for death.

Personally, I always thought it wasn't really
...Show more

Kent I think you are right this was a swing and a miss.

I can see the use of the 23rd Psalm in funerals as a comfort to the people who are mourning. I feel a funeral should be a celebration of life and a joy for those who meet their Saviour.

The rose was elongated as it dried out, and it was put on its side.

Walt

May 13, 2016 at 03:19 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Death and Life

RustyBug wrote:

Personally, I always thought it wasn't really
...Show more

Very insightful analysis by Kent. However, as he mentioned, your photo is subject to different interpretations. What I thought you might be getting at is that life is transient, and that the withered roses represent the fragility and shortness of life that is a reality for all of us. We all experience joys and difficulties along the way. Whatever your religion, many feel that there is a "spirit" or life force that comforts and protects us. Juxtaposing the roses with the 23rd psalm represent these opposing forces.

Many of your photos have a philosophical and spiritual bent that I find challenging and thought provoking.

Steve

May 13, 2016 at 10:26 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Death and Life

I am not much on symbolism, but maybe a couple of options:

A dead rose is a dead rose is a dead rose.

The dead rose in accordance with the scriptures.

May 13, 2016 at 11:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Death and Life

Steve brings out a good point ... one that I failed to consider @ juxtaposition.

In that regard, the striking or startling contrast of the dead rose(s) has served as a launching point to stimulate thought and discussion. In that same regard, it can readily carry / convey a message of "Lets think / talk about this." or "What does this mean to you."

In that sense, it isn't nearly as much of a swing & miss, as initially perceived ... depending on the message you are desiring to convey to your audience. Thought provocation doesn't always get the fanfare of beauty, but it can be much more powerful and have much greater lasting impression.

To borrow a bit from Jim ... it isn't a double lightning strike with rainbows & unicorns. Rather it is something to think about and carry with you in a more lasting impression.

TRUE STORY (bear with me / skip if you prefer):

So, we have my initial comments about the 23 Psalm and it's meaning (to me). I'm in the process of moving, and yesterday I rode my motorcycle from the old home to the new one. The interstate had road construction on it (backed up for 6 miles as we passed it), so I took a different route on the two lane (often better on the bike anyway ).

I got a later start than I wanted to and would be riding through golden hour / dusk / night on the two lane. Deer activity is increased in those areas @ those times, so I knew I'd have to be very much on guard.

I'm riding west into the sunset, enjoying the show, thinking how this is the first ride to my new home. Hmmm, I wonder what today's date is ... oh yeah, it's Friday the 13th. Oh great. Friday the 13th / bad luck day and I'm riding through deer central at rush hour for Bambi.

I then think about this thread in a contrast & compare of superstition vs. Scripture and which I'll choose to put my greater consideration of. Then I think about my comments regarding passing through the perils we face, yet proceeding on through in good confidence (not the same as foolishly letting your guard down) that fear shouldn't be upon us during such trevails. I'm thinking that the wooded stretch I'm in could have plenty of deer, so be sure to retain my vigil of alertness.

On cue (thinking "cue the deer" on Funny Farm), a large deer bolted up over the road immediately in front of me and I'm on the brakes. I won't say it's the closest I've ever come to hitting a deer on the bike (two that were closer), but it was close enough.

I just warmly grinned to myself, knowing what just happened. My wife was following behind me and when we stopped up ahead, she told me that she thought the deer was going to take me out. I shut the bike off and told her about this thread and our dialogue / thoughts on the subject. Then I told her the story I just shared with you regarding my sequence of thoughts / exact timing of events.

Then, it was off to do some interstate riding in the dark, complete with rain and construction, followed by some rain slick country roads @ night with several blind twisty's en route to a place on the other side of peril. Perils abound ... yet we proceed through with care, vigil & diligence rather than debilitated by or riddled with fear. We can be comforted by the understanding that the One who loves us, desires well for us, despite how perilous / dark / distressing our present situation might seem to be. Imo, this is the message of the 23rd Psalm.

I realize that different takes will be perceived by my story (message), just like we have different takes on the message of an image. But, I wanted to share this first to say "Thank you" to Walter for the image ... without which, my attention to the matter would not have been re-heightened. And subsequently, the events of the ride might have carried a different meaning for me.

My point here for this is that when we have a message to convey, it is our message and we just never know how it might be received (or when it might "take root" ) ... yet we still aspire to convey it, such as Walter has chosen to do. Walter's dead rose will never be mistaken for Jim's beauties ... yet, they can both convey something for others to consider. Sometimes, it can be hard to explain why we shoot what we shoot ... and others may not always understand (at first, ever or never), yet I think the message of "To thine own self be true." has merit for consideration in our work and our lives.

Imo, Walter was true to himself ...

May 14, 2016 at 07:00 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Death and Life

RustyBug wrote:
Steve brings out a good point ... one that I failed to consider @ juxtaposition.

In that regard, the striking or startling contrast of the dead rose(s) has served as a launching point to stimulate thought and discussion. In that same regard, it can readily carry / convey a message of "Lets think / talk about this." or "What does this mean to you."

In that sense, it isn't nearly as much of a swing & miss, as initially perceived ... depending on the message you are desiring to convey to your audience. Thought provocation doesn't always get the fanfare of beauty,
...Show more

Well said Kent, and thanks for sharing this story!!!

Steve

May 14, 2016 at 10:11 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Death and Life

eeneryma wrote:
Very insightful analysis by Kent. However, as he mentioned, your photo is subject to different interpretations. What I thought you might be getting at is that life is transient, and that the withered roses represent the fragility and shortness of life that is a reality for all of us. We all experience joys and difficulties along the way. Whatever your religion, many feel that there is a "spirit" or life force that comforts and protects us. Juxtaposing the roses with the 23rd psalm represent these opposing forces.

Many of your photos have a philosophical and spiritual bent that I find
...Show more

Steve you got exactly what I was trying to present.

I guess that is where my interests lie. Not very good at expressing myself verbally or written, so I try to do it with photos.

Walt

Walt

May 14, 2016 at 03:34 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Death and Life

Camperjim wrote:
I am not much on symbolism, but maybe a couple of options:

A dead rose is a dead rose is a dead rose.

The dead rose in accordance with the scriptures.

Dead roses have a beauty in them, I feel if you look.

I know of no scripture that deals with the rose, but one of my favorites is Matthew 6:25 - 34 where he is talking about how to deal with anxiety. And he uses the illustration of the lilies in the field. Suppose I could have used those verses also.

Walt

May 14, 2016 at 03:46 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Death and Life

RustyBug wrote:

In that sense, it isn't nearly as much of a swing & miss, as initially perceived ... depending on the message you are desiring to convey to your audience. Thought provocation doesn't always get the fanfare of beauty,
...Show more

Interesting points Kent.

Glad you are safe that can be a scary thing on a bike.

I like the photos that make you think more than the pretty ones I shoot. It is more self fulfilling.

Walt

May 14, 2016 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.