Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

Matthew - thanks for the comment, I fully agree.

May 14, 2016 at 02:46 PM
mysh
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

awesome shot. Don't mess with it. The lake looks artificial because its being lit by a artificial light and its not suppose to be hidden. the guy is literally standing in the frame with a headlamp on.

Some comments on this boards are ridiculous.

May 14, 2016 at 03:57 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

mysh wrote:

How so?

There are a wide variety of photographers who frequently post on this board. Everyone has a different viewpoint. Very knowledgeable individuals. Many have actually read books, taken classes, visited or present their work in galleries. And they know this particular genre. They attempt, to the best of their ability to continuously pursue the genre to the best of their ability and knowledge. Many comments by several here I don't agree with, but I don't call them ridiculous. That's silly. I accept them, or possibly learn from them. Because all comments are welcome, agree or disagree. As long as they are polite and not hateful. This is not the "Slap on the back "Jolly good show" forum. It's a forum to learn from. If everyone was lockstep, well never mind.

May 14, 2016 at 09:07 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

mysh wrote:
awesome shot. Don't mess with it. The lake looks artificial because its being lit by a artificial light and its not suppose to be hidden. the guy is literally standing in the frame with a headlamp on.

I don't see any ridiculous comments in here. Craig stated it perfectly in his comment.

I too don't agree with everyone's comments, but that's their feelings and thoughts. One of the things that sets the Landscape Forum apart is the ability to share and comment on peoples art. Most of the time the comments are friendly and meant to be helpful, the same as if we had gathered in a local coffee shop and was discussing one of our recent shots. Not everyone has to like every element in it. Being able to discuss it and share thoughts is how we all grow.

Jim

May 14, 2016 at 09:49 PM
Claude
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

Wether adventure or landscape - this is a great shot!

Claude

May 15, 2016 at 03:11 AM
MJKoski
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

I like the end result. For it conveys the feeling of being there and watching the mesmerizing night sky.

May 15, 2016 at 05:32 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

I like it.
The sky is well done with great detail and color, but agree with Mark that maybe you could pull down the highlights in the core. It should bring out more detail and color as well.
As for the headlamp style. I think it is a well composed shot. Variety is nice even if some feel it has been overdone.
Congrats.
My only question is why you call yourself an "odd human"

David

May 16, 2016 at 07:59 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

Fred Miranda wrote:
The reflection from the lake looks like it has star trails.
Fred

It depends on how much subtle water motion is on the lake.

May 16, 2016 at 08:01 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

dgdg wrote:
My only question is why you call yourself an "odd human"

David

I'm very odd. Just ask anyone who has met me....

May 16, 2016 at 09:54 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

dgdg wrote:
It depends on how much subtle water motion is on the lake.

Is it movement in the water that causes the streaked star reflections in the water? I've always wondered why some images with water have it and others do not....

May 16, 2016 at 09:55 AM
matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

Gary Clennan wrote:
Is it movement in the water that causes the streaked star reflections in the water? I've always wondered why some images with water have it and others do not....

It takes an absolutely perfectly glassy water surface for star reflections to become singular dots, and I bet a lot of the shots you're referencing were photoshopped, unfortunately.

Even the slightest bit of wind will turn stars to a blob or a line, and beyond that the light pretty much disappears.

May 16, 2016 at 11:23 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

Gary Clennan wrote:

That's been my experience.
Even if the water appears flat, it does not take much to cause the streaks. I often take multiple images and one will be sharper than the rest. Even if I use my tracker I'll take some 30 sec images for the whole scene, gives less time for the distortion.

David

May 16, 2016 at 11:25 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Spray Valley Provincial Park - Milky Way

Thanks! My picture was taken on a fairly windy evening... Makes sense now.

May 16, 2016 at 11:49 AM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.