1       2       3              7      
       9              132       133       end

Archive 2016 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

jhinkey wrote:
Maybe this has been discussed previously in the 7 or 8 pages, but does anyone think the E-M1 MKII would be able to AF 4/3 lenses (particularly the 150/2 Oly) any faster than the MKI? My E-M1 did pretty well, but any significant speed increase would be welcome.

Or, is it the motor in the lens that's the limiting thing?

We spoke to Olympus Imaging Global Marketing Manager Toshiyuki Terada, shown below, and European Marketing Manager Mark Thackara about the new Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II:

Q - Do all lenses benefit from the improved Auto Focus system? Yes, all Micro Four Thirds lenses, including Panasonic lenses will benefit, although it will depend on how fast the lens’ focusing system is. Four Thirds lenses (when used with an adapter) will also benefit from the quicker focus system.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:03 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

bobbytan wrote:
We spoke to Olympus Imaging Global Marketing Manager Toshiyuki Terada, shown below, and European Marketing Manager Mark Thackara about the new Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II:

Q - Do all lenses benefit from the improved Auto Focus system? Yes, all Micro Four Thirds lenses, including Panasonic lenses will benefit, although it will depend on how fast the lens’ focusing system is. Four Thirds lenses (when used with an adapter) will also benefit from the quicker focus system.

Thanks!
I'm expecting modest gains, but gains nonetheless.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:40 AM
David-D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

bobbytan wrote:
With the E-M1 you can shoot 8 sequential and stacked photos in approx 1 second, so you get a 64mb RAW file. Because it took 1 second to complete the shot it has to be done on a tripod, as otherwise the 8 images may not be in perfect register. Olympus have said earlier they were working on getting the time down from 1 second to just 1/60 second ... so there is no need for you to do this on a tripod. With the new 20mp sensor you would be able to now shoot an 80mb file/image in 1/60
...Show more

Just stunning!

Sep 26, 2016 at 08:49 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Thank you, David!

David-D wrote:
Just stunning!

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:18 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

First Impressions:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/09/23/first-impressions-olympus-omd-em1-mk-ii/#.V-lJBDKZOek

Underwater Housing Options here:

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/olympus-em1-mark-ii-review-underwater

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:25 AM
hoodlum90
• •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

The new Focus Limiter in the mkii should also help with focusing on the 43 lenses.

Sep 26, 2016 at 04:01 PM
austinschutz
• • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

"The in-body stabilisation itself gives 5.5 steps, and the Sync IS gives 6.5 steps with OIS lenses. 6.5 stops is actually a theoretical limitation at the moment due to rotation of the earth interfering with gyro sensors."
http://www.43rumors.com/not-a-joke-the-rotating-earth-is-limiting-the-e-mii-stabilization-to-65-stops/

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:09 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Even if there is no advancement of ISO performance or DR I'm still going to add the M1ii.
I also agree that with current sensor tech the mFT Oly sensor is probably topped out but as Bobby mentioned there is much to the camera experience than how much I can push in post (my words not his). Besides everywhere I turn video video video. I've got video on a 1DXii and never used it, on A7Rii and never used it, etc. Great Oly is putting 4k in the M1ii for those who just have to have it but it is still
...Show more

So you gonna get A99II as well. I'm on the fence until I see the rubber hit the road. I want to believe these cameras can compete with a D500/5D4 for fast action servo work, but will play a waiting game. If they can, and in a broad range of situations then I'll definitely get one of them. I already have E-M5 and a few lenses so Oly is leading candidate, but generally I'd much prefer a 42MP FF over a 20MP cropper, which is why I shoot with a 5DsR and not a 7DII for wildlife. Oly has better range of modern lenses than A mount, but I'd only be looking at 2 or 3 max.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:31 AM
Jack Kelley
• •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Relative to whichever Oly you currently shoot, and to your own taste, what usable ISO ceiling do you expect on the M1 Mark II? I've capped Auto ISO on my M1s at 640. I may try bumping that to 800 again just to see if I'm misremembering how much noise it delivers and how much cleanup I'm willing to spend time on.

As committed as I am to Oly -- having sold my Canon 1D X system -- I'm skeptical about Oly's challenge to the big boys on action photography, largely because of ISO limitations. Never mind that the AF gulf between my M1 and 1D X was not so much apples and oranges as apples and orangutans -- not even in the same universe -- what really gives me pause, even wth faster AF and improved ISO on the M1 Mark II, is that I could shoot the 1D X pretty clean at ISO 3200. The 1D X II is reportedly even faster and better. To be clear, I'm not thinking of going back -- I'm strictly a hobbyist, shooting much less action now -- and do not expect Oly to match Canon's heavyweight sports body. But I'd love to get ISO 1600 out of the M1 Mark II. Is that too much to hope for?

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:51 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

" But I'd love to get ISO 1600 out of the M1 Mark II. Is that too much to hope for?"

Shooting action sports in the UK (kite surfing, windsurfing, surfing) as well as wildlife and birds I'm often pushed to use ISO1600 to get the shutter speed I need.

Whilst clearly not in the Canon full frame league, by exposing to the right then pulling back I find I can get useable results (producing action sequences for the riders to check their technique when trying new tricks, prints to 15"x10" and the like)

So I'm hopeful that with the new sensor and processing algorithms noise may be significantly reduced (I'm down on my suppliers' list for an early release model anyway )

Sep 28, 2016 at 02:24 PM
Jack Kelley
• •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Brian Wadie wrote:
" But I'd love to get ISO 1600 out of the M1 Mark II. Is that too much to hope for?"

Shooting action sports in the UK (kite surfing, windsurfing, surfing) as well as wildlife and birds I'm often pushed to use ISO1600 to get the shutter speed I need.

Whilst clearly not in the Canon full frame league, by exposing to the right then pulling back I find I can get useable results (producing action sequences for the riders to check their technique when trying new tricks, prints to 15"x10" and the like)

So I'm hopeful that with the new
...Show more

Thanks, Brian. Are you having to do much noise reduction, either whole-frame or localized, at 1600? Maybe I need to revisit my technique. Where I've run into too much noise for my taste has been when I jump instantly to a preset high shutter speed and shallow DOF, but do not have time to adjust ISO and instead rely on Auto ISO, i.e., action I'd miss if I fiddled with ISO. Like you, I am hopeful about the Mark II and have signed up for availability notification. Fingers crossed.

Edited on Sep 28, 2016 at 11:07 PM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2016 at 06:12 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Brian Wadie wrote:

Why expose to the right? At high ISO, you don't gain anything. Pick a shutter and aperture, may as well let auto ISO do the rest.

ETTR can be helpful at base ISO, but at ISO 1600 it's not helping you at all. If anything, it has the potential to hurt you with blown highlights.

Sep 28, 2016 at 07:19 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

The idea of ETTR is to ensure that you never have to increase exposure in post, as that's when you bring out the noise. You cannot trust your LCD screen - your images may look good/correct on the LCD when they are actually under-exposed.

arduluth wrote:
Why expose to the right? At high ISO, you don't gain anything. Pick a shutter and aperture, may as well let auto ISO do the rest.

ETTR can be helpful at base ISO, but at ISO 1600 it's not helping you at all. If anything, it has the potential to hurt you with blown highlights.

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:29 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Jack Kelley wrote:
Thanks, Brian. Are you having to do much noise reduction, either whole-frame or localized, at 1600? Maybe I need to revisit my technique. Where I've run into too much noise for my taste has been when I jump instantly to a preset high shutter speed and shallow DOF, but do have time to adjust ISO and instead rely on Auto ISO, i.e., action I'd miss if I fiddled with ISO. Like you, I am hopeful about the Mark II and have signed up for availability notification. Fingers crossed.

Depending on the image I do need noise reduction, I've started using NIK Dfine 2 from LRCC (which I use for >95% of my work). Using the adjustment brush in LR can also be a useful tool for reducing local noise

I'm the same as you in getting greatest noise when jumping to situations of poor light and not having time to set the camera to cope best with the conditions. Trying to recover under-exposed images at high ISO is something I've more or less given up on as I find the noise levels unacceptable or the image becomes to "smeary" if I push noise reduction too far

For interest, a quick test shot at ISO1600, checking out a cheap used copy of the 14-150mk2 I picked up yesterday, jpg straight from camera, Noise Reduction = off, Noise Filter = Standard

P9281275 by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:26 PM
brunobarolo
• •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

arduluth wrote:

bobbytan wrote:
The idea of ETTR is to ensure that you never have to increase exposure in post, as that's when you bring out the noise. You cannot trust your LCD screen - your images may look good/correct on the LCD when they are actually under-exposed.

That is correct, but you don't loose anything by using e.g. ISO 800, under exposing by 1 stop, and then brightening in post processing, as opposed to an optimal exposure at ISO 1600. But using ISO 800 (with the same aperture and exposure time) and brightening in post can occasionally preserve some highlights that are blown using ISO 1600. The noise will be about the same in both cases.

Sep 29, 2016 at 02:15 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Test drive with the E-M1 Mk II:

http://youtu.be/4pK-XI9xPUk

Oct 04, 2016 at 02:25 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/09/19/tracie-maglosky-on-using-the-new-olympus-25mm-f1-2-for-portraits/#.V_RlzqOZPAx

Oct 04, 2016 at 09:50 PM
whumber
• • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

bobbytan wrote:
Test drive with the E-M1 Mk II:

http://youtu.be/4pK-XI9xPUk

I've seen that shot of the waterfall where they talk about the IBIS before and I think it must be due to some kind of compression issue but the shot looks really terrible to me in terms of sharpness.

Oct 05, 2016 at 12:19 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

This is so weird. B&H and every other big store will not start taking pre-orders as Olympus have not announced the price yet and they are actually not allowed to take pre-orders at this point in time. But guess what? 42nd Street Photo are taking pre-orders AND they are discounting the MSRP of $1,699 by $200. So I placed my pre-order with them! Let's see what happens later!

http://www.42photo.com/Product/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-mirrorless-micro-four-thirds-digital-camera-body-only-/119631

UPDATE: I've just been told by a friend that 42nd Street Photo is not an authorized Olympus dealer and that this is probably a gray market import ... so I will probably cancel my pre-order. It's best to call and check with the store if you wish to know more.

Edited on Oct 05, 2016 at 05:02 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:49 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Judging by the response to this survey, I think this camera will be a huge success:

http://www.43rumors.com/best-new-mft-products-of-photokina/

Oct 05, 2016 at 03:57 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.