p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

When and where can I pre-order?

K-H.

Sep 20, 2016 at 08:48 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Sold my most excellent condition E-M1 due to the Oly layout and UI, but with the addition of more pixels and other things I might buy back in to the Oly m43 camp. Until then I'm enjoying my Pany m43 bodies (though real full time IBIS would be very welcome in an E-M1 type body . . .)

Sep 20, 2016 at 09:42 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Unfortunately, dealers are not allowed to take pre-orders yet, according to B&H, although they have listed the camera on their site. I guess Olympus are still undecided on the price. Maybe they are trying to gauge the the initial interest and response ... so let's play it cool, people!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1283565-REG/olympus_om_d_e_m1_mark_ii.html

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:50 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Almost turned away from this thread with the bickering above. Seriously?
All I need to know is where is the pre-order link at B&H.
The better-half watched the Photokina M1 II launch and said 'gotta have it'
From what I see, and I've been a Lumix user for years, it that it is finally time for
me to jump ship. Luckily my lenses will cross over; I even bought the 40-150/2.8 for my
GH4 and Poof the better-half says she might let me use her 300/4 some, and she emphasized 'some'

I'm also awaiting a pre-order for the EOS M-5, will be fun
...Show more

Has Poof seen this video? Looks like the Mk II is a bird/wildlife photographer's dream camera, along with the high-resolution 300/4 PRO lens.

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:59 PM
itai195
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

I probably will pick up one of these for the AF improvements. Unless something goes horribly wrong, it should be a noticeable improvement over my E-M5mkII. Also excited for the 25/1.2.

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:25 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

I think the E-M1.2 would be great for shots like this.

E-M1 + 300/4 Pro + MC-14

K-H.

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:29 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Or for this.

a6300 + 70-300/4.5-5.6 FE G OSS

K-H.

Edited on Sep 20, 2016 at 11:35 PM · View previous versions

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:35 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

jhinkey wrote:
Sold my most excellent condition E-M1 due to the Oly layout and UI, ...

I can relate to that, and it's a dilemma. I used the GH1/2/3 before going back to Nikon and then returning to m4/3 again this year with the E-M1 and GM5. I have to say I'm surprised how clumsy the Olympus user interface is. The E-M1 is a great camera in so many ways, and I'm sure the E-M1 II will be fantastic, but the UI represents answers to questions that I doubt anybody has asked. After 6 months, I still fumble, swear and miss shots. The Panasonics, including the tiny GM5, follow a classic SLR interface, and is very similar to Canon and Nikon, which make them much easier to adapt to.

For this reason alone, I consider the G80 or GH5 as very interesting alternatives to the E-M1 II.

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:35 PM
itai195
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

The G80/85 is also a very interesting camera, at least in terms of its value proposition. Personally, I dislike the Olympus UI, but I do feel that once set up I have a really easy time using the cameras. One thing I'd love both Oly and Panny to realize is that it's 2016, and it's time to finally implement a good Auto ISO. Even Sony did it over a year ago...

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:38 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

bobbytan wrote:
Has Poof seen this video? Looks like the Mk II is a bird/wildlife photographer's dream camera, along with the high-resolution 300/4 PRO lens.

No she hasn't. Thanks Bobby. We're both ready to jump on this machine.

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Detailed info about the E-M1 II can be gleaned from this link:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2016b/nr160920em1mk2pke.jsp

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:58 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

As a very big fan of the E-M1 (bought it 3 different times! Once at launch, once at FW2, and most recently in April of this year), I like what I've seen so far. Still a lot of unknowns at this point though, like pricing, when it will ship, and some others. Right now I'm shooting the X-T2 which I feel is the most complete Fuji released so far. It really seems like the manufacturers are making some great strides with the 2nd generation of their flagship bodies.

As a father of two small girls, most of my shooting is done quick, run and gun style. My workflow is almost entirely mobile now, consisting of me taking my SD card, importing the files into my iPad mini, picking a few shareable files, doing some quick edits if needed, and throwing them up on social media for friends and family to view. Having a camera that I can shoot raw and JPEG to separate cards means the files will import much quicker and I can import more. With my a7rII because I had to import both, I was able to get bout 80 or so shots, with my X-T2 I'm able to import like 500+. Also imports much faster. I need some fast way to select AF points as well, so the joystick or touch screen are much appreciated. I like a joystick more but touch is nice since a AF trackpad is supported.

There are some things the E-M1 does better. You can't dispute that using a DSLR like dual control dials setup is faster to change exposure settings than the Fuji setup. I love both. But my wife who is not an enthusiast hates using my X-T2. She hates that it's not a touch screen, she hates that there's no auto setting, she hates that aperture is on the lens. She hates that there's no record button. I have to preset everything for her before I hand her the camera. And while I love the manual dials, there are times when a standard mode dial with C1,2,3 settings would make things a little quicker. Also having a movie record button for me who likes to take quick, 15-20 second clips of my kids is sorely missed.

Ergonomically as well, the E-M1 just fit my hand like a glove. The grip is one of the best I've held for my S-M hands, the 1/2 dials once you got used to them made things easy, and the directional buttons felt the right about of dampened. The E-M1 was also my first camera that I know of that used the click on and off lock system that the X-T2 now has and that the Sony a7rII desperately needed. And while IBIS for me is not as important as it is for some, you can dispute that being able to handhold down to 1/10 is great in some situations. I'm also finding myself at 1/80 or faster, more often 1/100 as a minimum with my X-T2 which pushes my ISO up. As good as the ISO performance is, anyone would rather shoot at ISO400-800 rather than 3200 or 6400. The only thing I didn't like about the E-M1 was the on/off switch on the left, I prefer one around the shutter and I see that it hasn't changed.

The fully articulated screen is good and bad. I'd rather have this rather than the M5 flip down screen, but for me who likes to shoot off the rear screen a lot, a fully articulate screen takes too many movements for me. Flipping it out, twisting it around, shooting, then twisting it around and flipping it back. No doubt for video shooters it's nice and I have to say for tripod shooting for family shots, it's much easier to flip the screen forward, compose, hit a remote shutter, than do the clumsy act of connecting to wifi for remote shooting.

There's still too many unknowns for me, E-M1 looks like it takes what the E-M1 did and makes it that much better. I'd be lying if I didn't think of an E-M1 II, the 12-40/40-150 combo and the 25 1.2 and calling it a day. For me I find zooms that much more convenient to shoot with and a single low light prime when needed. I bought the Fuji 14 recently and still have yet to shoot with it.

I'll wait to more hands on are out, more specs are finalized (including price) and then see where it goes from there. So far I'm loving my X-T2, but it's not perfect. Nothing is. If the E-M1 II starts to look appealing, I have no issues with jumping ship back to Olympus.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:09 AM
itai195
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

I'm with you on the zooms. The main reason I went back to m43 was to get that 12-40/2.8. It's really an ideal size and spec for a lot of my family shots. Fuji is missing a lens like that for me... the 18-55 is closest, but I don't care for it.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:24 AM
Big Cheese
• •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Do we know yet whether the hi res mode has been improved to allow faster shutter speeds? This is the one thing that my might make me upgrade my EM1 and possibly dump my Fuji and possibly Sony systems. 1/60 shutter speeds with ISO 64 would be enough for most of my landscape needs.

Sep 21, 2016 at 05:25 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Big Cheese wrote:
Do we know yet whether the hi res mode has been improved to allow faster shutter speeds? This is the one thing that my might make me upgrade my EM1 and possibly dump my Fuji and possibly Sony systems. 1/60 shutter speeds with ISO 64 would be enough for most of my landscape needs.

Olympus is supposedly still working on it to have it ready by the time the camera goes on sale.

Sep 21, 2016 at 07:36 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Some clarification as to shutter speeds and continues AF etc.

It's quite clear via Olympus info on the website that the camera: Does 15 fps with mechanical shutter and focus tracking and exposure changes. It does 18fps with electronic shutter, focus tracking and exposure changes. It does 60fps with locked focus and locked exposure, electronic shutter.

High-res mode is not hand held, at least not yet. Maybe they will get that fixed by the time of launch maybe not but it is at least an improvement over the prior high-res modes in that it will work better at removing artifacts in moving subjects (water, trees etc).

IF (I hope it is true) the AF system is improved as much as they say it will indeed be a really good action camera. Amongst the best actually. Fujifilm X-T2 already proved that good high speed continues focusing can be done with a mirrorless camera and the fact that Olympus has got two processors in the E-M1 II, one which is fully dedicated to the AF system alone should increase the chances of the system. We'll see when it is actually launched.

One stop better dynamic range and ISO performance sounds great as well although this too remains to be seen.

Edited on Sep 21, 2016 at 01:00 PM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:56 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Thanks for the summary. All welcome improvements.
For scenarios in which these improvements are secondary the E-M1/5/5.2 will continue to give excellent results. So, I will keep those cameras as well.

K-H.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:11 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Wilbus wrote:
Some clarification as to shutter speeds and continues AF etc.

It's quite clear via Olympus info on the website that the camera: Does 15 fps with mechanical shutter and focus tracking and exposure changes. It does 18fps with electronic shutter, focus tracking and exposure changes. It does 60fps with locked focus and locked exposure, electronic shutter.

High-res mode is not hand held, at least not yet. Maybe they will get that fixed by the time of launch maybe not but it is at least an improvement over the prior high-res modes in that it will work better at removing artifacts
...Show more

One also has to wonder if the newer, bigger battery will infact lead to improved shot capacity or just that the new processors are that much more power hungry and will have similar shots per battery.

Sep 21, 2016 at 02:38 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Jman13 wrote:
You're missing my point. I'm specifically talking about the 60fps mode, which will be useless for sports, and especially motorsports. Because the 60fps mode uses electronic shutter, the read speed of the sensor, which is likely 1/60s (which is very fast actually), is way too slow to freeze the motion of the car in a single shot...the car will be slanted (warped) due to the rolling shutter, such as in this image:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ay07tgncDPk/UVlZeRk1v-I/AAAAAAAAGHk/RDK3Y_ngb6s/s1600/skoda.jpg

With all due respect, if that's how you shoot motorsports, I can see why you'll have problems. Instead of pointing the camera at a spot and trying to catch the car or whatever as it passes, you should be panning the camera with the target. You want a slower shutter speed anyway to partially blur the tires as they rotate and background for a sense of motion and speed. I'm willing to bet the 60fps will work great with proper technique for cars, planes, and any number of other mechanical moving objects.

Erich

Sep 21, 2016 at 02:53 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

That's not my photo...the point is the limitation of the electronic shutter read speed....regardless of your selected shutter speed, the sensor reads the data line by line, taking about 1/60s to read the data. With fast moving subjects, you will have warping of the subject as it changes position during the exposure. It may work OK for panning, but I thought people used slower shutter speeds for panning anyhow, where 60fps is too fast for that (if you're panning at 1/15s, your burst rate is going to be within the next shutter rate anyway).

Regardless, it can handle 15fps on the mechanical shutter, so it'll still be very capable for sports...just that the 60fps mode will be quite limited for capturing action.
ELinder wrote:
With all due respect, if that's how you shoot motorsports, I can see why you'll have problems. Instead of pointing the camera at a spot and trying to catch the car or whatever as it passes, you should be panning the camera with the target. You want a slower shutter speed anyway to partially blur the tires as they rotate and background for a sense of motion and speed. I'm willing to bet the 60fps will work great with proper technique for cars, planes, and any number of other mechanical moving objects.

Erich

Sep 21, 2016 at 03:19 PM
1       2       3       4      
       6              130       131       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              130       131       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password