FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              131      
       end

Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Bobg657
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.132 #1 · p.132 #1 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

If you use High Speed Burst, it only focuses on the first shot, use Low Burst and it continuously focuses for all shots. For IBIS, if youíre anning use IS2 or turn it off if ising high shutter speeds.

Nov 30, 2017 at 02:59 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.132 #2 · p.132 #2 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

nandadevieast wrote:
EM1.2 in multiple frame rates: is IBIS working for the 1st shot only? I get 1st one sharp and following not so sharp.

Are you shooting moving subjects or do you get soft shots on stationary subjects?

Overall I think Olympus did a semi-lousy job with their advertisement for the camera. Most other cameras have their high speed shooting around 8-12 fps depending on the camera, Nikon D5 for example is 12fps and is rated among the fastest and best high speed cameras. When people hear "use low speed" on the E-M1.2 most people naturally think something in the lines of 5 fps.
Being crazy fast, low fps is really 10 in mechanical shutter, or 18 fps in electronic. Both with continues AF. High speed shooting is 15 fps mechanical or 60 fps electronic (for very short bursts) with locked AF.

Received mine yesterday and WOW. Just WOW. Only tried it indoors so far but even though I tried it in store a while back it's hard to describe how big the difference is between the Mk I and Mk II. Now I know why I missed my D700. While the Mk I was very responsive and with almost no shutter lag and short black out between frames, the Mk II is just miles ahead. I haven't experienced such an increase in performance since I changed my D80 for my D700

Can't wait to get out use it for real

First tests with IBIS didn't show a huge difference though but not using sync IS either as I don't have any lenses for it.

Nov 30, 2017 at 05:47 AM
nandadevieast
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.132 #3 · p.132 #3 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Thanks bobby
Wilbus you just bought mark 2 ? I thought you had it. What about yout plans of buying G9 ?
My first frame is sharpest in afc and low burst, still subject.
I was wondering if i have to do -2 0 +2, it will be difficult if IBIS works on first frame only. I will have to click 3 times if i switch to singlr shot mode.

Nov 30, 2017 at 03:20 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.132 #4 · p.132 #4 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Yes @nandadevieast I just bought it I've been wanting it since it was released but held off for various reasons, was thinking about a Nikon D500 for a while but put that out of my mind for several reasons

I've had the E-M1 for quite a while but got the Mark II yesterday, I'm sure you thought I had it since I've been a hang around in all the Mark II threads, including this one

I've been wanting a second (or primary rather) body for quite some time and the G9 seemed like the perfect "new" alternative part for some reasons. I got the E-M1 Mk II at a really low price on Black Friday here in Sweden so I couldn't resist. I canceled my pre-order on the G9 for that reason and I must say I am quite happy I did. I know it will be a superb camera but the E-M1.2 is everything I wanted from the short tries so far. Some things will be better in the G9 (EVF for example) but some things are better with the E-M1.2 such as live bulb and long exposure high res.

Not sure why you are experiencing troubles with sharpness really. Can you share pictures? If you're shooting a still subject, why are you using C-AF if I may ask? Shutter speeds? Focal length?

/Rasmus

Nov 30, 2017 at 04:12 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.132 #5 · p.132 #5 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Welcome to the world of the E-M1.2 Rasmus! The E-M1.2 is significantly better than the E-M1 although in terms of value the E-M1 is hard to beat because the price have dropped so much - thanks or no thanks to the successful launch of the E-M1.2 - the high price notwithstanding.

@ nandadevieast - IBIS doesn't help when you are shooting birds in flight or any fast-moving target. What you need is a high shutter speed i.e. upwards of 1/1000 second.

Nov 30, 2017 at 04:38 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.132 #6 · p.132 #6 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Thanks Bobby!

I've only tried it for a day but WOW what a difference! It's like day and night as far as speed and performance goes. Not a huge difference in image quality but I didn't expect that. Neither did I expect such a huge difference in performance to be honest. It's easy to track and follow subjects, minimal viewfinder blackout (can't even call it black out) in electronic shutter and 18fps and very little blackout even at 10fps mechanical. It's very easy to track and follow what ever needs to be followed.

Loving it so far although only put around 800 shots through it today and 1000 for testing purpose yesterday.

I really believe it is worth the high price even though I found it on Black Friday sale much cheaper

Nov 30, 2017 at 05:16 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.132 #7 · p.132 #7 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Hi Rasmus, congrats again. Great choice i must say.
Bobby, sometimes i set bracketing on and put the camera on drive mode. So it takes 3 pictures if i press and hold the shutter button. (In single shot mode i will need to press the shutter thrice which makes it slow). In doing so with IBIS on, i noticed that the first shot was the sharpest of the lot. There may be something i am missing perhaps.

Nov 30, 2017 at 06:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nandadevieast
• • •
p.132 #8 · p.132 #8 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Rasmus, i was also interested in a Panasonic camera because i own a 100-400,
I have no way of knowing, and there is no data point available at least to my knowledge that compares latest Pana sync IBIS and Olympus IBIS. It could just be that mounting my 100-400 on Olympus maybe as good as on a latest Panasonic camera. But i have read that 100-400 will benefit from a Panasonic camera (sync IS). Right now i keep the lens OSS on 100-400 on and thats how i shoot.
I also own a 12-100 and know that this combination, 12-100 and EM1.2 works great. Will 100-400 and G85 or G9 combination work as well, i have no idea.

Nov 30, 2017 at 07:02 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.132 #9 · p.132 #9 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

What kind of bracketing are you talking about? I never use auto exposure bracketing mostly because I don't like the auto bracketing options. Then again, I only bracket on landscape work with the camera mounted on a tripod and a cable release or 2-second timer - and I would use the compensation dial to bracket up and down, usually up to 5 or 7 different exposures. This may take several seconds longer but even a minute will not cause me to miss anything.

nandadevieast wrote:
Hi Rasmus, congrats again. Great choice i must say.
Bobby, sometimes i set bracketing on and put the camera on drive mode. So it takes 3 pictures if i press and hold the shutter button. (In single shot mode i will need to press the shutter thrice which makes it slow). In doing so with IBIS on, i noticed that the first shot was the sharpest of the lot. There may be something i am missing perhaps.

Nov 30, 2017 at 07:23 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.132 #10 · p.132 #10 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Thanks again @nandadevieast

My camera is faulty though, the stabilization doesn't work as intended, in fact, it makes all pictures at slower shutter speeds far less sharp then without the IS. I also experience more unsharp pictures than I do with the E-M1 with IS turned off as well which makes me think the entire sensor might be off in some way. Some shots come out great, some come out with motion blur and or missed focus by about 10-20cm. Shot 3500 shots today with IS off and many off them are soft. Trying to determine wether it is the 40-150 + TC1.4 that did it or slower shutter speeds (mostly 1/250th) at 210mm (420mm 35mm eq) that is the issue. All those shots were shot with my backpack acting like a very sturdy stabilization though so it shouldn't be the shutter speed. Almost looks like shutter shock from the E-M5 in the beginning. Will have to test more tomorrow and see if I need to tell Olympus something more about it.

It got me thinking though, you say you have trouble with soft shots and IBIS. Have you checked and made sure the IBIS is working as it should?

Dec 02, 2017 at 09:46 PM
Bobg657
• • •
p.132 #11 · p.132 #11 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Are you both using electronic shutter or mechanical? Iíve never seen shotter shock with my EM1.2 but it may be worth trying e shutter. I use that about 95% of the time.

Dec 03, 2017 at 01:00 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.132 #12 · p.132 #12 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Thanks Bob I've been trying both and so far no difference. I use normal mechanical on the new E-M1.2 mostly (not the electronic first curtain as this slowed it down some) but as smooth as this shutter is I don't expect it to show any shutter shock either how. And it hasn't really

I'm thinking it's something else for me. I know the IBIS doesn't work an if this somehow screws up the sensor cleaning on starting the camera I am speculating this might, from time to time, put the sensor in different locations. Makes sense? Or am I way out on a limb here?

Dec 03, 2017 at 09:11 AM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.132 #13 · p.132 #13 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Yes the IBIS is fine
You should return yours and get a new one.

Wilbus wrote:
Thanks again @nandadevieast@

My camera is faulty though, the stabilization doesn't work as intended, in fact, it makes all pictures at slower shutter speeds far less sharp then without the IS. I also experience more unsharp pictures than I do with the E-M1 with IS turned off as well which makes me think the entire sensor might be off in some way. Some shots come out great, some come out with motion blur and or missed focus by about 10-20cm. Shot 3500 shots today with IS off and many off them are soft. Trying to determine wether it is the 40-150
...Show more

Dec 03, 2017 at 01:55 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.132 #14 · p.132 #14 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

https://www.43rumors.com/joe-edelman-goodbye-nikon-switched-olympus-om-d-e-m1-ii-micro-four-thirds-format/

Dec 13, 2017 at 04:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password