FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              130       131       end

Olympus E-M1 Mk II

garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

waterden wrote:
I am a Sony shooter (mainly a7r ii) but find the longer lenses simply too big for travel; the new GM lenses even more so. So on a recent trip I thought I'd try M43 out with a used (but as new) EM1 together with the 12-40/2.8 pro. Quite honestly, it has been a bit of an epiphany, not just for the IQ but even more for the fabulous ergomics. For me, it is a nicer camera to use than the a7r ii. The controls are more flexible and intuitive and the shutter snick is a major improvement on that
...Show more
Going through a similar epiphany here except still haven't made the jump to mirrorless from Canon.

The lenses for Sony don't buy any size and weight reduction. I really like Fuji X system and their lower noise APS-C sensors, but the lack of in-body IS is an issue. So is the backwards zooming and focusing.

That brings me to m43 and Olympus... But I worry about noise and IQ and, interestingly, I'm not sure I can get used to the 4:3 format, which just seems... off.

However, I am waiting to hear about the EM-1 II, new sensor, and more f/1.2 lenses... Such an aperture should help claw back a little DOF control...

Aug 01, 2016 at 04:36 PM
waterden
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

In my opinion there is nothing to be worried about concerning noise and IQ. Noise is perfectly acceptable up to 1600 and sharpness is fantastic, at least with the two pro lenses I have acquired. I have yet to print MFT but 100% screen shots indicate that A3 and A2 will be more than acceptable.

Personally, I prefer 4:3 to 3:2 but I am a lover of 1:1 as well. It might require a rethink of compositional techniques but differing aspect ratios never deterred painters.

Aug 01, 2016 at 04:46 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

waterden wrote:
In my opinion there is nothing to be worried about concerning noise and IQ. Noise is perfectly acceptable up to 1600 and sharpness is fantastic, at least with the two pro lenses I have acquired. I have yet to print MFT but 100% screen shots indicate that A3 and A2 will be more than acceptable.

Personally, I prefer 4:3 to 3:2 but I am a lover of 1:1 as well. It might require a rethink of compositional techniques but differing aspect ratios never deterred painters.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Aug 01, 2016 at 07:02 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

waterden wrote:
I am a Sony shooter (mainly a7r ii) but find the longer lenses simply too big for travel; the new GM lenses even more so. So on a recent trip I thought I'd try M43 out with a used (but as new) EM1 together with the 12-40/2.8 pro. Quite honestly, it has been a bit of an epiphany, not just for the IQ but even more for the fabulous ergomics. For me, it is a nicer camera to use than the a7r ii. The controls are more flexible and intuitive and the shutter snick is a major improvement on that
...Show more

Use Canon lenses with adapters and you can keep both M4/3 and Sony but for different angles of view. Maybe not for all your lenses but some work quite well across systems.

Aug 01, 2016 at 07:13 PM
waterden
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Yes, one can adapt most lenses to mirrorless bodies but I simply don't understand why one would want to adapt, or indeed use native, large glass with these systems. It defeats the point for me. Hence my growing interest in m43 which, unlike APS-c or FF mirrorless, keeps everything small. If you want to use Canon EF glass why not just stick with Canon bodies? Adapted Leica glass? That is another matter because the Ms are small lenses as are some of the Rs. It will be very interesting to see, assuming they happen, how big these rumoured f/1.2 lenses are. Judging by the PL 42.5/1.2 they could still be relatively small.

Aug 01, 2016 at 07:45 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

My m43 kits has put on a considerable amount of weight. Lenses like the Nocticron 42.5/1.2 and the PRO series lenses (maybe with the exception of the 12-40 PRO) are relatively big and heavy. The Pan-Leica 12/1.4 is not a small/light lens either, and the forthcoming Olympus f1.2 lenses will be hefty as well. Having said that, the comparably FF versions would be significantly bigger and heavier.

waterden wrote:
Yes, one can adapt most lenses to mirrorless bodies but I simply don't understand why one would want to adapt, or indeed use native, large glass with these systems. It defeats the point for me. Hence my growing interest in m43 which, unlike APS-c or FF mirrorless, keeps everything small. If you want to use Canon EF glass why not just stick with Canon bodies? Adapted Leica glass? That is another matter because the Ms are small lenses as are some of the Rs.

Aug 01, 2016 at 07:58 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

waterden wrote:
Yes, one can adapt most lenses to mirrorless bodies but I simply don't understand why one would want to adapt, or indeed use native, large glass with these systems. It defeats the point for me. Hence my growing interest in m43 which, unlike APS-c or FF mirrorless, keeps everything small. If you want to use Canon EF glass why not just stick with Canon bodies? Adapted Leica glass? That is another matter because the Ms are small lenses as are some of the Rs. It will be very interesting to see, assuming they happen, how big these rumoured f/1.2 lenses
...Show more

To me, it means I don't have to pay for full set of lenses for two systems (or three even) and The lenses become very different on different sensor sizes.

A full frame lens may well be fairly big no matter what system it is used on but when you consider the "different" use, it may well be positively tiny.

150 2.8 works great on M4/3 as a 300mm angle of view tele lens while being nice for its intended uses on FF for instance.

Not for everyone and I don't use m4/3 all that much now but it can be a lot of fun to use and for daytime use is pretty good image quality.

Aug 01, 2016 at 09:02 PM
leo11877
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

garyvot wrote:
I don't think anyone knows, but as the E-M1 does, it seems likely that its successor would have it too.... Unless there is something about the new sensor that makes this impossible.

The E-M1 has the Panasonic 16mp sensor while this is a Sony 20mp Sensor. Doesn't automatically mean it won't have it but makes me a bit nervous. I would really like using legacy lenses on the Sony sensor due to it's color rendering. Never liked the E-M1's colors out of the box (compared to E-M5s)

Aug 02, 2016 at 12:36 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

garyvot wrote:
I don't think anyone knows, but as the E-M1 does, it seems likely that its successor would have it too.... Unless there is something about the new sensor that makes this impossible.

No on-sensor PDAF would be a step back for some of us - my now-departed E-M1 focused the 150/2 Oly quite well and any improvements from a Sony PDAF sensor would be welcomed, especially since I can't seem to sell my 150/2 . . .

Aug 02, 2016 at 01:34 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

jhinkey wrote:
No on-sensor PDAF would be a step back for some of us - my now-departed E-M1 focused the 150/2 Oly quite well and any improvements from a Sony PDAF sensor would be welcomed, especially since I can't seem to sell my 150/2 . . .

Yeah, I agree with this... which is why I think Olympus will try to keep this feature if possible...

Aug 02, 2016 at 06:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

http://www.43rumors.com/photokina-press-event-september-19-panasonic-press-event-1230-olympus-1800/

Aug 22, 2016 at 02:21 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-new-e-m1ii-gh5-will-ship-early-2017/

Sep 08, 2016 at 03:20 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

So what will 20mpix sensor in the m43 size do for diffraction limits, seeing that F8 is about as high as I dare go now, and 2.8 - 4.0 is the sweet spot?

Handheld high rez is a nice step forward, if the rumor sites have this right. I wonder if if there is a chance for high-rez and stacking at the same time.

Whatever the details turn out to be ... one things is clear to me; that there is less and less reason for pro's shooting non-specialized subjects to avoid the system. I think it is now a fully professional camera choice - as is the Fuji brand.

Sep 08, 2016 at 03:50 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-will-live-stream-e-m1ii-announcement/

Sep 09, 2016 at 01:33 PM
megancanada
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

I'm really looking forward to the EMII. With the rumoured updates and a new menu design I wonder if there will be any changes in body design?

Sep 10, 2016 at 09:19 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

It's a Mk II so I would doubt it - except maybe for the swiveling instead of tilting screen.

megancanada wrote:
I'm really looking forward to the EMII. With the rumoured updates and a new menu design I wonder if there will be any changes in body design?

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:30 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

bobbytan wrote:
With the E-M1 you can shoot 8 sequential and stacked photos in approx 1 second, so you get a 64mb RAW file. Because it took 1 second to complete the shot it has to be done on a tripod, as otherwise the 8 images may not be in perfect register. Olympus have said earlier they were working on getting the time down from 1 second to just 1/60 second ... so there is no need for you to do this on a tripod. With the new 20mp sensor you would be able to now shoot an 80mb file/image in 1/60
...Show more

Man that's a stunning image!

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:08 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Thanks!

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-image-new-olypus-e-m1ii-leaked/

Iwas joeking wrote:
Man that's a stunning image!

Sep 18, 2016 at 04:07 PM