FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              126      
       128              130       131       end

Olympus E-M1 Mk II

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.127 #1 · p.127 #1 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Lame excuses, Mitesh - you just need to improve on your technique - that's all! Back in the day before there was any AF cameras there were lots of great BIF images! Sorry Mitesh ... I am just yanking your chain! Frankly, I couldn't focus and track a bird with the E-M1.2 to save my life! Some interesting posts/articles ....

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4092457#forum-post-58815463

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4143670

http://www.pattayadays.com/2016/12/shooting-action-with-the-olympus-e-m1-ii/

http://mirrorlessplanet.com/2016/01/olympus-bird-photography-part-four-the-olympus-e-m1-versus-the-canon-7d-mk-ii/

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/e-m1-mkii-birds-in-flight-settings.93255/

mitesh wrote:
I am in agreement with Birdie, and my experiences mirror hers when it comes to C-AF on the E-M1.2. I have tossed hundreds of shots of BIF that are inexplicably out of focus or soft. I've tried default settings, and have tried to adjust settings like the article suggests, all with no noticeable improvement in results. I really hope that a firmware update for the E-M1.2 can make it better, or worst case, that the E-M1.3 significantly improves the C-AF and tracking abilities.

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:38 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.127 #2 · p.127 #2 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Thank you, K-H. I have just received a Sony 100-400 lens and am considering the a9, but having a bit of indecision on whether to go for it or wait for the rumored October announcement of a7III. Your results with the a9 combo have been nothing short of astonishing!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Birdie, mitesh, long ago I have given up on tracking with the E-M1 II. It's useless.

Also when shooting hummingbirds in flight with the silent shutter a too large a fraction of the total number of shots exhibits rolling shutter artifacts. So I am forced to use the mechanical shutter for those HIF images.

The Sony A9 has a much faster shutter readout speed so rolling shutter artifacts are barely noticeable and I use its electronic shutter for HIF shots.

K-H.

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:54 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.127 #3 · p.127 #3 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

bobbytan wrote:
Lame excuses, Mitesh - you just need to improve on your technique - that's all! Back in the day before there was any AF cameras there were lots of great BIF images!

That's actually hard to argue with, Mr. Tan!

Thanks very much for your additional research and those links. I'll have a read and hopefully will find a nugget or two that I may not have been aware of.

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:57 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.127 #4 · p.127 #4 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

October is just days away ... so you should wait. Problem with the GM 100-400 is, if you stick a TC to that lens you will end up with a slower lens and reduced AF performance. You could, of course, take Tony's route and go with the D500 + 300/4 or 200-500.

mitesh wrote:
Thank you, K-H. I have just received a Sony 100-400 lens and am considering the a9, but having a bit of indecision on whether to go for it or wait for the rumored October announcement of a7III. Your results with the a9 combo have been nothing short of astonishing!

Sep 22, 2017 at 07:29 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.127 #5 · p.127 #5 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

That's just it 400mm is not enough as a max focal length for me, and wanting to go longer with Sony without getting slower means getting big, bulky, and expensive . That's why I really hope Olympus can sort out the C-AF because you can't beat the 300 PRO's size and weight for its FF equivalent focal length with f/4 nominal aperture.

I also would prefer not to go back to a DSLR.

bobbytan wrote:
October is just days away ... so you should wait. Problem with the GM 100-400 is, if you stick a TC to that lens you will end up with a slower lens and reduced AF performance. You could, of course, take Tony's route and go with the D500 + 300/4 or 200-500.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:23 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.127 #6 · p.127 #6 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

mitesh wrote:

Thanks mitesh for your vote of confidence . I would wait for another month. I am also interested in that camera and am curious whether Sony can keep up the excellent A9 shutter/sensor readout speed for a sensor with a much larger number of pixels. If they can't then their two cameras would play in different markets and I likely will end up with both for different purposes.

I am using the A9 with the Sony battery grip. It's the best camera I have ever used so far. In many ways it's my favorite tool right now, similarly to the Nikon D3 in its day that my son now uses. Of course, I am still using and keeping all my Olympus gear and hope that Olympus will sooner rather than later will up the performance of their flagship camera. The A9 certainly has set the standard to beat. And my FE 100-400/4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens with TCs delivers on the A9 those fast action shots. However, its tracking needs to be improved.

K-H.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:36 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.127 #7 · p.127 #7 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

In spite of all the options and choices that we have today, we are still stranded between the devil and the deep blue sea, huh? Do what K-H does ... buy them all ... so you have the horses for the various courses!

mitesh wrote:
That's just it 400mm is not enough as a max focal length for me, and wanting to go longer with Sony without getting slower means getting big, bulky, and expensive . That's why I really hope Olympus can sort out the C-AF because you can't beat the 300 PRO's size and weight for its FF equivalent focal length with f/4 nominal aperture.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:46 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.127 #8 · p.127 #8 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

mitesh wrote:

Yup mitesh, my Olympus lenses, FT and MFT, will keep me in their tent as well. At this time I have no plans to acquire, as Tony Markle did, a D500 or even a D850 for my Nikkor AF-S 80-400/4.5-5.6 lens. Tony certainly gets stunning images with whatever gear he uses. I looked at some of his D500 images. WOW!

I do hope though that Sony will come out soon with a faster 400mm FE lens.

K-H.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:48 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.127 #9 · p.127 #9 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Fast FE-GM prime .... and it will be heavy!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Yup mitesh, my Olympus lenses, FT and MFT, will keep me in their tent as well. At this time I have no plans to acquire, as Tony Markle did, a D500 or even a D850 for my Nikkor AF-S 80-400/4.5-5.6 lens. Tony certainly gets stunning images with whatever gear he uses. I looked at some of his D500 images. WOW!

I do hope though that Sony will come out soon with a faster 400mm FE lens.

K-H.

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:03 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.127 #10 · p.127 #10 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Yup Bobby, for sure. But my A9 not so much.
I also rely on the EVF with all its information.
An OVF or the LCD screen doesn't do much good for my aging eyes.
However, I can still see through the EVF what I need to see to take pictures.

K-H.

bobbytan wrote:
Fast FE-GM prime .... and it will be heavy!

Sep 22, 2017 at 09:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

birdied
• • • • • • •
p.127 #11 · p.127 #11 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Thanks KH, Bobby and Mitesh. Not sure what one is to do , but keep trying . Like Mitesh, I am hoping that Olympus will work this out.

Bobby, thanks for the links. There are a couple of suggestions, I will try.

Birdie

Sep 23, 2017 at 04:05 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.127 #12 · p.127 #12 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

birdied wrote:
My two cents from my limited experience with the Olympus gear.

Having switched from the D500 / 200-500 to the EM1Mk2 and 300f/4, there is no comparison on auto focus for small moving birds . The D500 is going to be much more consistent with acquiring focus.

Anything smaller than a hummer that is moving , the Olympus struggles to acquire focus using the 300mm .

I have tried some of those suggestions in the article, and my experience is not what the author has. However, I am not shooting large birds. Maybe it all works well with large
...Show more

Thank you Birdied, I take all the info I can

I was down at the store last evening, they have en expo with all manufactures and makes invited. I used the D500 and E-M1, tried some tracking with the E-M1 rep but only with walking people. It worked OK but still saw some soft and out of focus shots, I'm sure it can be improved though by learning how to use it and hopefully a FW upgrade. The camera in it self has got all the right hardware for it so should be doable.
Olympus reps were very friendly and helpful, didn't try to push anything on me but they did say I shouldn't worry about the tracking, it was much better now. Got several names to photographers who made it work well and spoke to one in the end.
His advice was to use back focus AF and constantly work with it. Keep it pushed and shoot shorter bursts (meaning not 4-5 second bursts I guess). He also had another advice which I think might be useful for your Hummers Birdied.

He mention the AF-limiter, not the physical one on the lens but the new digital one. He used it quite often when he knew at about what distance he was gonna shoot birds in flight. He limited the AF to anything beyond that and had a higher hit rate. Might be something to try with your Hummers?

mitesh wrote:
I am in agreement with Birdie, and my experiences mirror hers when it comes to C-AF on the E-M1.2. I have tossed hundreds of shots of BIF that are inexplicably out of focus or soft. I've tried default settings, and have tried to adjust settings like the article suggests, all with no noticeable improvement in results. I really hope that a firmware update for the E-M1.2 can make it better, or worst case, that the E-M1.3 significantly improves the C-AF and tracking abilities.

Mitesh, I too hope a firmware update can fix it. It would be quite awful to wait for another generation of m43 cameras before being able to fully track. Not only that but given Olympus price increases the damn thing will cost $3000 at release. Funny enough, no other make has made such huge price increases even though their new cameras are also stuffed full of technology. Take the D500, again, for example. It's got an unlimited RAW burst with the right card. Same pixel count as the E-M1.2.
But no, I hope it gets corrected in firmware, the camera like I said, has got everything going for it.

Sep 23, 2017 at 06:29 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.127 #13 · p.127 #13 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

bobbytan wrote:
I should add that if you get the E-M1.2 + PL 100-400 instead of the 300/4 PRO the price and weight savings is even more significant.

Funnily enough that's not something I had considered before yesterday when I was at the expo and handled the 100-400 and then came home and saw your reply (have had a bit less time to reply here the past few days, or maybe I have just written longer replies in more threads).

The 100-400 was freaking small and with a great build quality. I had imagined it much more plastic and larger. It does indeed bring the price down by about $800-1000.

The only fear I have with that is speed and perhaps it's not quite as good as the 300? Also, I have the TC1.4 that works with the 300 which gives another little extra reach, then again it also makes it softer and the PL 100-400 is extremely versatile.

But I believe this might actually be the best alternative for me as I think the 300 is a bit too expensive, not for what you get but I have my mind set at the Nikon 300 F4 PF size which was also tiny! Would've been amazing if Olympus had used PF glass in their 300 instead.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sep 23, 2017 at 06:39 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.127 #14 · p.127 #14 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

birdied wrote:
Thanks KH, Bobby and Mitesh. Not sure what one is to do , but keep trying . Like Mitesh, I am hoping that Olympus will work this out.

Bobby, thanks for the links. There are a couple of suggestions, I will try.

Birdie

Your shots are amazing no matter what equipment you use Birdied. It's just me always worrying about an upgrade or two. Considering this, arguing that, dreaming about those. Maybe I should just stick with the E-M1.1 and get a PL 100-400 instead for starters?

Sep 23, 2017 at 06:40 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.127 #15 · p.127 #15 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Wilbus wrote:
Your shots are amazing no matter what equipment you use Birdied. It's just me always worrying about an upgrade or two. Considering this, arguing that, dreaming about those. Maybe I should just stick with the E-M1.1 and get a PL 100-400 instead for starters?

Thank you, I do appreciate the very kind words. One of the links Bobby posted also mentioned using the in camera distance limiter. Definitely going to give that a try. Also, one of the other suggestions was to turn off IS.

I do use back button focusing all the time for everything .

Question - do you just turn if off on the lens? Or is there a setting in the camera you should use?

Regarding the Olympus representatives and tracking, yes it will track, but there will be some soft or out of focus shots, not a good thing . Acquiring the initial focus on faster moving subjects is an issue , much more so than the tracking. Will try the suggestions and see if it improves.

I tried the 100-400. I loved the weight . However the f/6.3 on the long end was an issue for shooting in the low light in my garden. On many occasions I am at high ISO using f/4 or /5.6 with the TC on the 300. F/6.3 sometimes pushed me into ISO territory that did effect the detail on the birds.

Everyone's mileage with these lens will be different. I found if you are close to the subject and in good light the 100-400 on the long end is excellent. The farther away the subject gets , the less detail in the feathers , less ability for cropping , etc.

If you shoot in good light , and don't need f/4 , give the 100-400 a try.

I honesty don't find much lost of sharpness using the TC on the 300.

If Olympus had only made the 300 as light as the Nikon , I would be so happy

I find myself entertaining thoughts of selling the Olympus 300 and getting the D500 plus the Nikon 300 PF for birds. I would use the Olympus for everything else as I love the macro and 40-150. I really don't want two systems , not to mention the costs involved

Birdie

Sep 23, 2017 at 03:26 PM
Bobg657
• • •
p.127 #16 · p.127 #16 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Birdie, the focus limiter greatly speeds up initial focus, I think that will help you. To turn off IS just turn off the lens switch, it controls that function. I've noticed improvement that way, but I am going to test IS2 to see how that works. If it's successful it can be saved in a Custom mode.

Sep 24, 2017 at 04:02 AM
Bobg657
• • •
p.127 #17 · p.127 #17 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Btw, I don't know how the quality compares, but weight for the D500, 300pf and 1.4TC is about the same as the EM1.2 and 300.

Sep 24, 2017 at 04:07 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.127 #18 · p.127 #18 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

birdied wrote:
Regarding the Olympus representatives and tracking, yes it will track, but there will be some soft or out of focus shots, not a good thing . Acquiring the initial focus on faster moving subjects is an issue , much more so than the tracking. Will try the suggestions and see if it improves.

This kind of mimics what I experienced at the store/expo when we tried it. The Olympus rep kindly tried lots of settings with me and we walked towards each other, it tracked for sure but lot's of shots were slightly out of focus and when nearer the camera (using 12-100 F4) all became heavily out of focus. This was just at a normal walking pace with C-AF on the face. And this is kind of why I can't really justify the price of the E-M1.2 over what I have now even though it adds high-res mode, faster speed, more responsive etc.

birdied wrote:
I tried the 100-400. I loved the weight . However the f/6.3 on the long end was an issue for shooting in the low light in my garden. On many occasions I am at high ISO using f/4 or /5.6 with the TC on the 300. F/6.3 sometimes pushed me into ISO territory that did effect the detail on the birds.

Everyone's mileage with these lens will be different. I found if you are close to the subject and in good light the 100-400 on the long end is excellent. The farther away the subject gets , the less detail in
...Show more

This is my worry about that lens as well, just slightly too slow but I loved the build quality of it as well as the size. Also, different people say different things regarding sharpness. Maybe it's a distance thing like you say? Or sample variation?

birdied wrote:
If Olympus had only made the 300 as light as the Nikon , I would be so happy

I find myself entertaining thoughts of selling the Olympus 300 and getting the D500 plus the Nikon 300 PF for birds. I would use the Olympus for everything else as I love the macro and 40-150. I really don't want two systems , not to mention the costs involved

Birdie

Yes this is probably what bothers me the most. The fact they didn't manage to even come close in size and weight and they made it $800 more expensive. Not sure what Olympus is playing at right now but I do feel they tend to over-price some things. It will be interesting to see what they do with the prices of the upcoming F1.2 lenses and the new rumoured zoom.
In fact, the D500 and 300 PF is lighter then the E-M1.2 and 300F4.

I didn't discuss the pricing all that much with Olympus at the expo but we did discuss speed (when I mentioned I was also looking at the D500). Their argument is of course pro capture mode and 18fps continues and tracking with electronic or 10fps with mechanical (or 15fps without tracking and 60fps without tracking in pro capture mode). The thing is, the E-M1.2 has a much smaller buffer then the D500. Or I think more correct would be that both buffers are large enough but the D500's XQD card enables to buffer to completely clear even at 10fps and it never runs out. This means that while the D500 can't do 60fps for a second it can at least do 10fps for ever.

Of course, I'm only comparing things for tracking now but like Bobby so wisely said before. One camera to do most things is the E-M1(or 1.2) including street etc. The D500 would indeed add the ability to track and get more BIF as well as other wild life of course. It all depends on what I use it for and maybe I should just add the D500 and keep my m43 gear and use the D500 for pretty much the things you consider it for Birdied.

Sep 24, 2017 at 07:03 AM
Bobg657
• • •
p.127 #19 · p.127 #19 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Birdie, reach with the Nikon and 300 is only 450 efl vs 600 on the Oly, adding the tc brings the weight and reach about even.

Sep 24, 2017 at 09:50 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.127 #20 · p.127 #20 · Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Bobg657 wrote:
Birdie, the focus limiter greatly speeds up initial focus, I think that will help you. To turn off IS just turn off the lens switch, it controls that function. I've noticed improvement that way, but I am going to test IS2 to see how that works. If it's successful it can be saved in a Custom mode.

---------------------------------------------

Bobg657 wrote:
Btw, I don't know how the quality compares, but weight for the D500, 300pf and 1.4TC is about the same as the EM1.2 and 300.

---------------------------------------------

Bobg657 wrote:
Birdie, reach with the Nikon and 300 is only 450 efl vs 600 on the Oly, adding the tc brings the weight and reach about even.

Thanks Bob ! I played around with the in camera focus limiter today, and it does help. I tried both IS on and off and really don't notice any difference . I also tries Auto IS and again , did not notice a difference at the higher shutter speeds.

I have thought about the reach with the Nikon crop body vs the Oly, and that is one of the reasons I will stick with the Oly. I have these moments when I miss the A/F , but then I remember why I switched to begin with and come to my senses

Birdie

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:56 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password