FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Aiguille de Joshua Tree

gordon l
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aiguille de Joshua Tree

Here's a couple from Joshua Tree National Park. The first is Aiguille de Joshua Tree and sometimes also called the "finger of Hercules". It does resemble a giant's finger and is named well.
The second image is a rock formation known as the "Lost Pencil" and is a hike off of Geology Road. I was there at sunrise but had no clouds to spice up the image.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-Photo-2016/i-vpmT3qt/0/XL/Aiguille%20de%20Joshua%20Tree%20and%20Valley-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-Photo-2016/i-V6wM9p3/0/XL/Lost%20Pencil%20at%20Sunrise-XL.jpg

May 12, 2016 at 07:01 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aiguille de Joshua Tree

Great light in #2, well done.

May 12, 2016 at 07:15 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aiguille de Joshua Tree

I think the second one is the same formation I visited last year and tried to capture twice at sunset, with mixed results. I also had a problem with uncooperative clouds but did get a brief sunset show one night. I tried to find out if it had a name (and lacking that, gave it my own name). Thanks for providing that. Is it an informal climber's name or officially sanctioned?

I like the angle you found, I didn't see that one. Using the Joshua Tree as a foil certainly puts it in context, and you made the best of the warm sunrise light.

I know this is a bit of a walk in the dark (though not technical difficult), so congratulations. I hope to get back and try it again myself some day.

Dave

May 12, 2016 at 09:04 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aiguille de Joshua Tree

dsjtecserv wrote:
I think the second one is the same formation I visited last year and tried to capture twice at sunset, with mixed results. I also had a problem with uncooperative clouds but did get a brief sunset show one night. I tried to find out if it had a name (and lacking that, gave it my own name). Thanks for providing that. Is it an informal climber's name or officially sanctioned?

I like the angle you found, I didn't see that one. Using the Joshua Tree as a foil certainly puts it in context, and you made the best of the
...Show more

Hi Dave,

This is the same structure as your image. I like your results better than mine.
The name is known enough that I think it is official. A website called "Joshua Tree 3D" actually names these formations better than any other site I found. I believe rock climbers give these names and I've seen some posts of people who climb to the top of this structure.

I sure did walk out in the dark. GPS comes in handy when going blindly into the desert.

Gordon

May 13, 2016 at 10:26 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Aiguille de Joshua Tree

Hi Gordon, thanks for the information. I tried to Google for images of that rock which might give it a name, but I only found a few, none with names. It is actually the cover image for a Joshua Tree climbing book, but it doesn't attribute a name to it. Glad I have a name now. I'll need to check out the 3D website.

This definitely one of the more interesting JTNP rocks and it has the added benefit of being out of the way; you have to have more than a casual interest in order to reach it. I think it has a lot of photographic potential and some day I'd like to bivy there overnight to catch both sunset and sunrise.

Dave

May 13, 2016 at 11:34 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.