1       2       3              31      
       end

Archive 2016 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

MAubrey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #1 · p.32 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, 10 is 10 and there is nothing else available for any full frame body including the SLR market.

I'm pretty sure that the only thing comparable to the 10mm for any format would be the mythical hypergon for LF. And none of us are going to find one of those!

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:07 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.32 #2 · p.32 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

darbo wrote:
The superior sharpness and zoom flexibility of the 12-24 was very tempting, But even more tempting, for me, is the size, sun stars, and overall rendering of the CV ultrawides. I went the CV 12mm and I love it. If the 12-24mm is sharper, and Iím not doubting it, itís irrelevant to me because Iím happy with the CV.

Actually I owned the CV 10mm last year, but regretfully sold it. What a cool lens! In my ideal-wealth world I would own every single Loxia and every single E-mount CV lens. And between the Loxia & CV lenses, I much prefer
...Show more

Uh-oh. Contrary to my usual "manual prime only" point of view, I ordered a 12-24 that's set to arrive on Friday. I've based this on the better sharpness shown here in testing, and the hope that it's better for infrared than the Canon 16-35/4 that I frequently use.

I'll test it carefully before I decide whether to keep it. I've already decided that it will have to be an improvement on my Voigt 12 and 15 to make it worthwhile, in which case I will sell the two Voigts. My 15 has great corners.

I have a huge preference for manual focus lenses in general, and if I keep the 12-24, it will be used with MF only. But...finally to the point....I've noticed your "overall rendering" comment. Other than size and sun stars, what do you prefer about the Voigt's rendering? Is this under certain circumstances? It would be interesting to know what you prefer in the Voigt so that I can shoot tests under the same conditions and see whether I also prefer it! I only got it a few months ago to supplement my 10 and 15, and haven't used it much so far. I'm not as concerned about the 15 since I also have a ZE 15/2.8 that beats the Voigt, but I don't carry it unless I specifically know that I want it since it's large and bulky. Thanks.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:47 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #3 · p.32 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Here is my take on this:
I really like the Voigtlander primes for the E-mount. They are very well-built and mechanically there is nothing to complain about. Having a 10-straight-blade aperture and mechanical aperture/MF are big pluses for my needs.
Compared to the 12-24, I prefer the Voigtlander rendering and colors as well. This CV 12/5.6 is also more flare resistant.

Having said that, in regards to resolution and contrast, the 12-24/4 is much superior at 12mm, especially at wider apertures. They are not too far apart at center but starting at mid-field and edges, the difference is very noticeable. The CV has less distortion, but has more lateral CA and vignetting is also a bit extreme.

For landscapes it's a double edged sword. One wins on resolution, contrast and has better color aberration correction while the other is smaller, better built, yields more defined/attractive sunstars and has overall better rendering.

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:11 AM
darbo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #4 · p.32 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Uh-oh. Contrary to my usual "manual prime only" point of view, I ordered a 12-24 that's set to arrive on Friday. I've based this on the better sharpness shown here in testing, and the hope that it's better for infrared than the Canon 16-35/4 that I frequently use.

I'll test it carefully before I decide whether to keep it. I've already decided that it will have to be an improvement on my Voigt 12 and 15 to make it worthwhile, in which case I will sell the two Voigts. My 15 has great corners.

I have a huge preference for manual focus
...Show more

I hesitated to reference ďrenderingĒ, fearing I might be held accountable for it. Iíll start with a total cop-out: Itís a totally subjective personal preference comment. Iím about as qualified to comment objectively about the lens as an unsophisticated art museum visitor who barely comprehends art at any refined educated level, but just knows what he likes. Having viewed numerous (often beautiful and/or excellent) FE 12-24mm images in the FE Lens thread and elsewhere, the rendering does not stand out to me while the CV ultrawides do.

My subjective rendering thoughts aside, FE 12-24mm does appear to be very special: it is amazing how impressively small and light it is compared to similar DSLR zooms (Canon 11-24, Sigma 12-24, Nikon 14-24). Iíll be honest: if I could afford one I own the FE 12-24mm because I imagine it would be fun to shoot. I used to walkaround with the Canon 11-24mm and loved it...itís so cool having such a wide zoom!

I just spent more time writing this crappy unworthy reply than any post Iíve made in a long time! In this I am true to myself, but admittedly horribly insufficient in my lack of expertise and in being able to articulate my rendering preferences in a coherent and compelling manner.

Oct 19, 2017 at 05:29 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.32 #5 · p.32 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I'll give the 12-24 a good shot against the others and see what I think. It will give me a good excuse to try lots of situations and compositions before deciding.

Oct 19, 2017 at 06:31 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password