FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              31       32       end

Archive 2016 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Looks like Phillip & Co. got their hands on the 10/5.6 and have posted a rolling review:

http://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-voigtlander-10mm-5-6-e-hyper-wide-heliar/

From the full-rez a7S files, looks like the lens benefits from stopping down to f/8-11... There is some sharpness loss at the left and right edges (of a horizontal composition) at wide open.

May 25, 2016 at 12:06 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

His copy seems sharp to the very edges.

rscheffler wrote:
Looks like Phillip & Co. got their hands on the 10/5.6 and have posted a rolling review:

http://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-voigtlander-10mm-5-6-e-hyper-wide-heliar/

From the full-rez a7S files, looks like the lens benefits from stopping down to f/8-11... There is some sharpness loss at the left and right edges (of a horizontal composition) at wide open.

May 25, 2016 at 01:18 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

They need to break down and buy a 42mpx sensor.

May 25, 2016 at 01:34 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

GMPhotography wrote:

Exactly! K-H.

May 25, 2016 at 01:52 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Like to try it. I just booked a flight to NY in about a week

May 25, 2016 at 02:15 AM
gocolts
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

My 8-15L is getting nervous...really want to try this thing.

May 25, 2016 at 02:19 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Okay I'll play Debbie Downer here . Given the issues with the 15mm lately just make sure of return policies. This one could be even tougher to get good corners. Test them

May 25, 2016 at 02:29 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

OK mine has come!

I'll try to post samples before leaving.
Preliminary observations: amazing flare resistance, nice sunstars, sharp centrally, LaCA in corners but fixable, softish but not utterly smeared in corners. Surprisingly fun!

Will evaluate corners later - but what to hope for? If you think about the ray divergence in a 10mm rectilinear to n the corners it's astonishing that it's not pure blur. In some ways we'd need to see many memories re before getting a sense of what it can do. But my preliminary take on my copy is a keeper and corners at expectations for FF 10 rectilinear...

May 25, 2016 at 04:05 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

DavidBM wrote:
OK mine has come!

I'll try to post samples before leaving.
Preliminary observations: amazing flare resistance, nice sunstars, sharp centrally, LaCA in corners but fixable, softish but not utterly smeared in corners. Surprisingly fun!

Will evaluate corners later - but what to hope for? If you think about the ray divergence in a 10mm rectilinear to n the corners it's astonishing that it's not pure blur. In some ways we'd need to see many memories re before getting a sense of what it can do. But my preliminary take on my copy is a keeper and corners at expectations for FF 10 rectilinear...

Nice to hear! Post some samples whenever you can.
Best,
Fred

May 25, 2016 at 04:48 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

GMPhotography wrote:

Bastian just sold most of his Nikon stuff so there is a chance, not in the short term though

May 25, 2016 at 05:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

OK here are a few samples: just overall images taken quickly at work today: (yes my sensor needs a clean!)

And here's a supermarket outside the store I picked up the lens from:

May 25, 2016 at 10:07 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

OK next a typical corner (they are pretty much the same) and a context image: top right:

and context:

Take home: this lens appears to be nowhere near as sharp as Choppy in the corners. But nor would you expect it to be: 10 mm is a hell of a lot wider than 15. And I don't think it's as unsharp as bad 15s we have seen. It's quite nice over the bulk of the frame, but not a patch on really stellar wides like the Lox 21 or Batis 18. Also I think not as quite sharp as the 16-35 zoom. But good nonetheless, and better than I expected from a 10mm rectilinear.

Here's the (much better) centre performance

These all at f8 by the way...

May 25, 2016 at 10:15 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Two more images from my quick play at work today. They illustrate why I got this lens: although they are both cropped a little horizontally, they use the full frame height (and are still wider than the height). So no other lens could capture this angle of view. Of course you can stick: but interiors like this, with detail that comes into the foreground, would require a pano head to deal with parallax, and in lots of historic buildings you couldn't set up a tripod and pano head.

May 25, 2016 at 11:50 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

I don't see smearing so that is a huge plus. That's really the issue with the VC15 and I agree we are going to lose some resolution in the corners. A lens like this offers more advantages over some loss in corner resolution. In all honesty you just don't point this thing at something. You really are going to have to pay attention to the subject and scene your are shooting. This is extremely wide and you can easily get in trouble with vertical and horizontal lines. Thanks for posting these it looks like a barrel of fun to shoot.

May 25, 2016 at 12:07 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Thanks Guy; it really was a lot of fun to shoot. Lots of things that I wanted to do that couldn't easily be done any other way. Here's another example (not super sharp because of the shutter speed) but it shows something interesting: you need 10mm to get the mage of the quadrangle I was looking for, but the tree in the foreground (only 1m away!) would give you parallax issues if you stitched, unless you used a pano head and lens well calibrated to it..

May 25, 2016 at 12:25 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Your verticals look pretty darn good here. That's usually my biggest concern on super wides

May 25, 2016 at 12:27 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

GMPhotography wrote:
Your verticals look pretty darn good here. That's usually my biggest concern on super wides

Yep! Just gotta hold that camera straight - and the level on the camera is not quite precise enough..but it gets you close enough so that if you want to correct further you don't lose much.

May 25, 2016 at 12:40 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Level in camera is not perfect. I run into it all the time testing. They need to fix this. It's not accurate enough

May 25, 2016 at 12:42 PM
MJKoski
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Can be hard to fix some 2 penny sensor with software. Yes, it is FAR off from being useful. D810 level is also horrible. Canon 5Dsr has a bit better one.

May 25, 2016 at 01:06 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Phase One backs have an incredible digital level built in that is so accurate it's scary. I think need to look it up again but they have a digital level built into the back.

May 25, 2016 at 01:28 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password