FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              31       32       end

Archive 2016 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

nntnam wrote:
For Cosina lenses, you should check Araicamera. They usually have cash back/discount for those lenses.

Agree on U.S pricing, very tempting. Cameras' price in Japan is insanely high now. 5DsR is still ~$3800, A7RII ~ $3500 . And those are lowest street price right now, authorized dealer like yodobashi or mapcamera are selling them for a lots higher.

That's very interesting. When I was in Japan a year ago and visited Map Camera, they had some really good prices on Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses (casually checked Canon prices, but those seemed very similar to USA/Canada pricing). Just checked their website. Seems recently released Voigtlander lenses are priced fairly high, but some older lenses are still good deals. Quite the reversal to see the better prices in the US, at least for the new releases...

May 12, 2016 at 02:28 PM
dingdong

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

The only sample images are from Camera Quest?

https://shop.cameraquest.com/Voightlander%2010/5.6%20Heliar-Hyper%20Wide%20Sony%20E-mount%20ASPH%20%20PRE-ORDER%20DEPOSIT

The manufacturer's website doesn't even have a photo of the lens up:

http://voigtlaender.com/10-mm-f-5%2c6-hyper-wide-heliar-e-mount.html

Would it be possible to use this as a walk around street lens? At this focal length everything will be in focus... and with the A7rii you could afford to snap away and crop later. The only problem may be any people in the sides will be ridiculously distorted.

May 12, 2016 at 04:41 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

On the street, everything will be ridiculously distorted because you'll also have to work at fairly close distance to have decent content, unless you want to crop away the majority of the image. Not saying it can't be done... and I've used the 12 and 15 similarly in extremely tight quarters. But the content stretching at the sides of the image can be nasty.

For sample images, you're looking at the wrong website. Here's the actual manufacturer's site (Cosina):

http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/english/e-vm-mount/s-wide.html

You have to dig around for their sample images....

10/5.6: http://www.cosina.co.jp/gallery/oomura-10mm/index.html
All lenses: http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/english/sample/index.html

Here's one from the 10/5.6:

http://www.cosina.co.jp/gallery/oomura-10mm/01.jpg

May 12, 2016 at 05:43 PM
ChrisLovesUgly

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

rscheffler wrote:
That's very interesting. When I was in Japan a year ago and visited Map Camera, they had some really good prices on Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses (casually checked Canon prices, but those seemed very similar to USA/Canada pricing). Just checked their website. Seems recently released Voigtlander lenses are priced fairly high, but some older lenses are still good deals. Quite the reversal to see the better prices in the US, at least for the new releases...

I was in Japan a month ago, and Map is where I picked up the Batis 25. They had the best prices that I could find. They also had the Loxia 21, but it was right at U.S. MSRP pre-tax. I had to stop myself from walking out with 2-3 lenses!

May 12, 2016 at 06:03 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

rscheffler wrote:
On the street, everything will be ridiculously distorted because you'll also have to work at fairly close distance to have decent content, unless you want to crop away the majority of the image. Not saying it can't be done... and I've used the 12 and 15 similarly in extremely tight quarters. But the content stretching at the sides of the image can be nasty.

On the upside, if you only shoot in portrait orientation, you can include the (distorted) tops of your shoes in every shot.

May 12, 2016 at 06:30 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

The 10 is wide enough that you can probably get your shoes in the shot with horizontal framing. That's what I expect will be the biggest problem using this lens effectively - too easy to get too much foreground content that probably won't add anything to the composition. If you look at the Cosina sample photos, the photographer(s) cleverly avoided that problem in many of the images. And you can't just point the lens up to drop the foreground out of the image, unless you want super dramatic keystone/converging lines.

rscheffler wrote:

ChrisLovesUgly wrote:
I was in Japan a month ago, and Map is where I picked up the Batis 25. They had the best prices that I could find. They also had the Loxia 21, but it was right at U.S. MSRP pre-tax. I had to stop myself from walking out with 2-3 lenses!

Tell me about it! I was so tempted to load up on a bunch of Voigtlander and Zeiss glass.

May 12, 2016 at 11:57 PM
TakenWild
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

This could make a great portrait lens of people I don't like! *evil laugh*

May 13, 2016 at 12:06 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

TakenWild wrote:
This could make a great portrait lens of people I don't like! *evil laugh*

Yes, when my wife asks me to bring the camera to a party I don't want to go, that will be my only lens!

Seriously, I'm very excited about the CV 10/5.6.
I shot with the Canon 11-24/4L for a while and really found the wide focal length useful for landscapes.

Here is an image I took at 11mm:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/17/1120417.jpg
ILCE-7R 11-24mm F4 OSS lens 11mm f/11.0 1/4s 100 ISO 0.0 EV

The Canon was not super sharp at 11mm towards the edges but was an impressive lens...and super heavy too!
I don't have my hopes very high for the tiny CV 10 but I'm expecting good performance across the field at f/8-11. The extreme edges may need to be cropped out to around 11-12mm. Let's see.

May 13, 2016 at 03:55 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Is it me or the price of this lens just went up $100??
When I posted this thread yesterday, the list price was $899 but now it's $999...

Pre-order: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

What this a typo or Voigtlander changed their mind?

May 13, 2016 at 09:37 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

They need to make up for the loss of folks returning the CV 15mm III, I guess .

May 13, 2016 at 09:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturephoto1
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
Is it me or the price of this lens just went up $100??
When I posted this thread yesterday, the list price was $899 but now it's $999...

Pre-order: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

What this a typo or Voigtlander changed their mind?

---------------------------------------------
Hi Fred,

I noticed that yesterday.

AGeoJO wrote:
They need to make up for the loss of folks returning the CV 15mm III, I guess .

Joshua,

I am concerned that the people will have the same problems with the corners for a high percentage of the 10mm CV lens as well.

Rich

May 13, 2016 at 10:02 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

naturephoto1 wrote:
---------------------------------------------
Hi Fred,

I noticed that yesterday.

Joshua,

I am concerned that the people will have the same problems with the corners for a high percentage of the 10mm CV lens as well.

Rich

Rich, I agree with you. The way I look at it though the focal length of this lens is 10mm and it is not a big lens, far cry smaller than "the beast" Canon 11-24mm, which is granted is a zoom lens. The point I am trying to make is, we need to have reasonable expectations from this lens based on the limited physical dimensions but its enormous angle of view. That doesn't mean we need to accept decentering issues, however!

Edited on May 13, 2016 at 10:37 PM · View previous versions

May 13, 2016 at 10:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

AGeoJO wrote:
They need to make up for the loss of folks returning the CV 15mm III, I guess.

Perhaps most of the returns were from FM members because we are very picky!

I preordered the 10/5.6 last night and it's still showing $899....Maybe I got a deal.

May 13, 2016 at 10:26 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
Perhaps most of the returns were from FM members because we are very picky!

I preordered the 10/5.6 last night and it's still showing $899....Maybe I got a deal.

They should honor that, Fred, and I am sure they will.

May 13, 2016 at 10:35 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

I'll wait for reports

May 13, 2016 at 11:09 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Even if it doesn't work out well for every FF shooter who tries it, it may wind up being popular for use on the APS-C bodies. So far as I know, there's no other native mount prime this wide, and I'm not seeing anything wider than 11mm in adapted choices, and they're all zooms.

May 13, 2016 at 11:25 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

AGeoJO wrote:
They should honor that, Fred, and I am sure they will.

It was just odd they changed the price after the first pre-orders came in...

May 14, 2016 at 02:21 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Yea pretty strange

May 14, 2016 at 02:22 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

CameraQuest hasn't listed a price yet. Is it possible B&H confused the M mount price with the E mount price, and now have corrected it?

-Tim

May 14, 2016 at 02:28 AM
pointbob
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical E-mount

Any chance there is a 10Mm canon mount? Id love this in my 6d.

May 17, 2016 at 12:57 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password