New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

I'm trying to find a backpack to use for day hikes and found these mindshift rotation 180s on the web that look pretty interesting and also pretty expensive. Has anyone used them? Would appreciate thoughts since I don't have any local stores that carry them. Thinking about the 34. http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-horizon

Edited on May 13, 2016 at 07:04 AM · View previous versions

May 11, 2016 at 06:14 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

the quick access pouch works as designed and the magnetic latch makes a breeze to latch and unlatched. while it may be possible for the latch to be snagged by tree branches or the like while hiking through dense woods, it hasn't happened to me, yet.

also, if the quick access pouch is over-packed and the gears are not flushed, or the top compartment is overloaded, removing or stowing the pouch may be of difficulty. other than that, the quick access pouch will permit quick camera access w/out having to remove the backpack.

all other features work similar to other backpacks.

if you aren't efficient on what to pack in the quick- access pouch, you will have to remove the backpack for access to accessories stored in the remaining compartments. in such case, you may end up not liking the backpack.

i am sure other users will chime-in with their own experiences.

another inexpensive approach is to buy a dedicated hiking backpack and store lenses and camera in their individual protective neoprene sleeves.

good luck.

May 11, 2016 at 07:27 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

I have extensive experience with them. I had the Panaroma for roughly a year, now have the smaller Trail.

I really enjoy using it because like you said it has very quick access to gear. I have small kids so being able to access gear in and out very quickly is important to me. Even bags with a side access pocket require you to unbuckle the hip support, unbuckle the sternum support, remove one shoulder strap, and sling the back around, then repeat the process over again. Being able to rotate the belt pack around, take shots, then either choose to return the beltpack and carry the camera around or take a few shots and return the camera is great.

There's a few things to note though.

- Because of the belt pack, storage capacity is limited. Even though the bags are listed in L, (16/22/34/38) I found them to feel like they carry a lot less.

- With the Panorama which is a 22L pack, I could barely fit a D810 with 24-120 on it, it wouldn't fit the 24-70. The 34L Horizon will fit it to my understanding. With the 24-120 in the belt pack, I could fit one additional prime lens, a 50 in the belt pack as well.

- In terms of pockets and extra storage, these bags don't have a ton. Also in terms of how many lenses you can carry, unless you get the optional camera insert, you're limited to only a few. If you get the insert, then you can't carry that much other stuff.

- The bag doesn't stand on it's own because of the curved nature of the bottom.. Also if you don't have the pack on your back, access to your gear through the belt pack is cumbersome to say the least.

May 12, 2016 at 09:53 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

I have extensive experience with them. I had the Panaroma for roughly a year, now have the smaller Trail.

I really enjoy using it because like you said it has very quick access to gear. I have small kids so being able to access gear in and out very quickly is important to me. Even bags with a side access pocket require you to unbuckle the hip support, unbuckle the sternum support, remove one shoulder strap, and sling the back around, then repeat the process over again. Being able to rotate the belt pack around, take shots, then either choose to return the beltpack and carry the camera around or take a few shots and return the camera is great.

There's a few things to note though.

- Because of the belt pack, storage capacity is limited. Even though the bags are listed in L, (16/22/34/38) I found them to feel like they carry a lot less.

- With the Panorama which is a 22L pack, I could barely fit a D810 with 24-120 on it, it wouldn't fit the 24-70. The 34L Horizon will fit it to my understanding. With the 24-120 in the belt pack, I could fit one additional prime lens, a 50 in the belt pack as well.

- In terms of pockets and extra storage, these bags don't have a ton. Also in terms of how many lenses you can carry, unless you get the optional camera insert, you're limited to only a few. If you get the insert, then you can't carry that much other stuff.

- The bag doesn't stand on it's own because of the curved nature of the bottom.. Also if you don't have the pack on your back, access to your gear through the belt pack is cumbersome to say the least.

May 12, 2016 at 09:53 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

Good to hear about experiences with the product. Thanks!

May 13, 2016 at 07:04 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

I have the 38l pro pack with all the bells and whistles. I tried it out for the first time today! It is a great pack in that it is comfortable to wear and works as advertised. It is great if you want to have access to your camera gear while carrying other stuff--camera gear or not--that you can access when you take the pack off. it is not as efficient in storing gear as a pack that has only one opening, but the 38l carries a lot. Today, I had a Sony A7r2, Leica WATE, FE 35/2.8, FE 55 1.8, Leica M 75/2 apo, and 90/2 apo with filters and a rocket blower in the waist compartment, and in the upper compartment (took out camera insert) I had a long lens, food, jackets, and also carried water and it worked well and was comfortable. Not sure I will keep it as it is not ideal for airplane carry on travel, but it is a well made pack and I liked using it. Took a few tries to get the hang of the waist rotation, but it quickly becomes second nature.

May 13, 2016 at 10:19 PM
srkerd

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

I have used the Panorama 22L and now using the Pro 38L. I have nothing but good things to say about these back packs and the company, because of their customer support. Basically everything works as advertised...

I am on the mirrorless boat so I am able to stuff good amount of gear into the belt pack alone but of course mileage depends on gear you have...

Here is a photo of what I have in the 38L's belt pack...

May 14, 2016 at 06:39 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

Thanks, srkurd. That image really helps visualizing what I can do - although for me it will be the Nikon D750, 24-120 or 17-35 and a few other things. If I get it, I'll probably get the ICU to use when traveling by airplane and then remove it for hikes and carry just the camera gear I need for the hike.

May 15, 2016 at 07:17 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

i did a pretty extensive comparison of the Mindshift Rotation 180 Horizon 34L against the f-Stop Loka:

http://www.joereifer.com/words/2015/7/14/photography-backpacks-compared-mindshift-gear-rotation-180-horizon-34l-vs-f-stop-loka

May 17, 2016 at 07:24 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

Mr Joe wrote:
i did a pretty extensive comparison of the Mindshift Rotation 180 Horizon 34L against the f-Stop Loka:

http://www.joereifer.com/words/2015/7/14/photography-backpacks-compared-mindshift-gear-rotation-180-horizon-34l-vs-f-stop-loka

Very nice article Joe. Very helpful.

May 17, 2016 at 07:50 PM
daggah
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

Can someone with the Horizon tell me if the belt pack can fit a Nikon D800 + 14-24mm + 24-70?

May 25, 2016 at 02:14 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

daggah wrote:
Can someone with the Horizon tell me if the belt pack can fit a Nikon D800 + 14-24mm + 24-70?

I don't know. But you can contact the company on their website and they will answer your Questions.

May 25, 2016 at 04:59 PM
daggah
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Backpacks

Mindshift Gear wasn't quite able to answer my question actually. I'm guessing it would fit with the 24-70 on the camera in the standard vertical position, but Mindshift thinks it'll be a little tight.

May 28, 2016 at 07:08 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.