FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

This is something that I started working on last year, and there are so many variables that it's taken this long to wrap my head around all of them (the trickiest is always the light). I'm probably gonna work out some technique issues before trying this again -some way to cut the number of variables down to increase my "keeper rate".

Technique: I found a spot in my Lavender bush where I could bait the bees with some artificial nectar and photograph them with the sun at my back. Fortunately the angle of the sun was high enough so that I could shadow the subject and not the background. I needed the natural light to keep the background from being black, and the flash to freeze as much motion as possible in the subject. Lots of deleted frames due to a light breeze and a less than cooperative bee.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 200 with highlight tone priority) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (1x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads on the Canon flash mount, E-TTL metering with -1 2/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Hairy Footed Bee IV by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Hairy Footed Bee V by John Kimbler, on Flickr

May 11, 2016 at 09:46 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

John,

Great images but I prefer the second one.

Harold

May 11, 2016 at 10:43 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

Lovely captures but not I suspect a hairy footed flower bee.
Brian v.

May 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

Very nice

May 11, 2016 at 02:42 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

Thanks Harold, Brian, and Julian

LordV wrote:
... not I suspect a hairy footed flower bee.
Brian v.

What do you think it is Brian?

May 11, 2016 at 03:06 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

I think they turned out very nice John ~ Ron

May 11, 2016 at 03:15 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

For what it is worth, having looked at pictures of Hairy-footed Bees from across mainland Europe, it looks rather like one but I do struggle with bee species.

Harold

May 11, 2016 at 03:52 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

Nice set!

May 11, 2016 at 07:25 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

Dalantech wrote:
Thanks Harold, Brian, and Julian

It may well be another Anthophora species. Just it's middle legs don't have the long hairs that Anthophora plumipes has.
Brian V.

May 12, 2016 at 12:41 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

Thanks Ron and Ken

e6filmuser wrote:
For what it is worth, having looked at pictures of Hairy-footed Bees from across mainland Europe, it looks rather like one but I do struggle with bee species.

Harold

Same, several of them look very similar.

LordV wrote:
... not I suspect a hairy footed flower bee.
Brian v.

Dalantech wrote:

LordV wrote:
It may well be another Anthophora species. Just it's middle legs don't have the long hairs that Anthophora plumipes has.
Brian V.

After your first post I noticed the same -that middle leg just isn't hairy enough. I batphoned a Greek entomologist that I know on Flickr, but no response yet. Wondering if Hairy Footed Bees have a parasitic bee (a cuckoo), and maybe that's what I'm photographing <-- Edit: Nope, there's just a lot of variation with this one. The safest bet would be for me to just call them "Flower Bees".

May 12, 2016 at 01:33 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Baited Hairy Footed Bees

e6filmuser wrote:

Harold

I need to use Nico's Album on Flickr more often -he's a Greek entomologist and a really good macro photographer. One of the problems that I run into on the insect ID sites is that the quality of the photos is usually very poor -almost impossible to make an ID on my own.

May 12, 2016 at 02:23 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.