Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

pcrit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

I am looking to lighten the load and try off camera flash more. I currently shoot receptions with a hot shoe mounted Quantum Trio, Godox AD180, or AD360 depending on how much power I need. I shoot manual 99% of the time although will sometimes use the TTL with the Trio. I have found it to be pretty simple and easy to use with my current method but want to try off camera flash with possibly two Godox V860II that I can use either manual or TTL. My big questions are:

How many shoot OCF at weddings? (I do use it for formals only currently)

Thoughts on TTL vs. manual? (I shoot manual now, but adjust frequently)

Gear I have - 2 Nikon SB-910, 2 Godox TT850 and 1 V860N. I also have triggers for all them. My thought is the V860II can replace all of them.

May 11, 2016 at 05:26 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

I do use OCF for receptions. I just go the manual route for that.

May 11, 2016 at 07:02 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

I use OCF at receptions a lot, only manual for me.
Cheap Yongnuos. Never fail.

heiko

May 11, 2016 at 07:20 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

The best way is for you to try it and see which you like better, TTL or manual. By testing it yourself you will learn the pros and cons for the way you like to shoot.

May 11, 2016 at 08:02 AM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

I really only shoot manual as I found TTL is not 100% and not consistent. Thanks for the advice, looks like OCF is the method of choice.

May 11, 2016 at 08:04 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

You could do a poll ....
funny ... 3 people make the entire wedding industry.

-Mark

..... another OCF ... in manual.

May 11, 2016 at 09:03 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

If I'm off camera, I'm manual.

I like my flashes to be as dumb as possible. I have a whole set of Canon 600's and find them too complicated to be honest. Optical triggering, radio triggering, groupings, syncing, etc. it's enough to drive to nuts.

May 11, 2016 at 09:45 AM
chrisfphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

I'm all manual too. I never trust gear to see the scene as I want it captured. I'll tell it what to do

May 11, 2016 at 10:34 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

I use 3 Yongnuos on Radio triggering. I don't trust optical. My flashes are always set manually and I control it from the top of my camera.

May 11, 2016 at 11:30 AM
azmerm

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

At receptions I've been photographing with my Quantum Trio on TTL on D750/Promediagear bracket. Off camera are 2 Trios on lightstands in manual. I can easily then adjust power remotely as needed. Cadillac system and expensive but it has been super reliable.

May 11, 2016 at 12:48 PM
RobWNY
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

Youngnuo OCFs with radio triggers... all OCF are in manual, but I also sometimes use a on camera flash in conjunction with OCF. The on camera will be in TTL where I ride the FEC and the OCF still in manual. Called mixed mode for Youngnuo.

May 11, 2016 at 02:37 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

Thanks for the advice everybody, I shoot in manual too but curious how many use speedlights and if anybody is using the new Godox.

May 12, 2016 at 06:59 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

Just about the only time when I really wish my OCF's were ttl/remotely-adjustable is in the following scenario:

Banquet hall or smaller room, doesn't matter. What matters is the effect of diminishing brightness with distance. Not much space between nearest table and flash positioned in corner of room to use as back/rimlight. Nothing to bounce flash off of to reduce effective output. Room requires ISO1600, f/1.4-f/1.8, ~1/125ss or thereabouts. Middle of room gets proper rimlight exposure, not blown out, just a nice extra touch. Blows the nearest tables way out at the same power levels. Wish I could cut the power to 1/128 or less without climbing a chair to get the flash to adjust the output in the house that jack built.

May 12, 2016 at 10:57 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

I also use speedlights in Manual with a TTL flash on the camera that I will turn on/off or down depending on where I and and where my lights are. reception only...

I use Lumopro LP160s with Yongnuo 602s. Pretty reliable IMHO. Never tried the more spendy triggers because these always worked so well for me.

Paul

May 12, 2016 at 10:22 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

I thought about it but then thought about having to haul in mono lights and extension cords and find outlets before the reception and then have to wait until the very end of the reception to take it down and pack it up and haul it back to the car. I decided it made no sense to do this.

I have used a Quantum Qflash mounted on a monopod and held by an assistant and fired using a DW12 on the hot shoe with a FreeXwire transmitter but it did not add enough to justify having the assistant stay through the reception.

I save weight with a DSLR such as the D750 without the battery pack grip instead of a D4 camera and I have the Nikon AA battery pack on my belt so the weight is only that for the flash and the Custom Brackets bracket and the 24-70mm lens. It still adds up to around 8 lbs. and so I periodically take a break and set it down and then take shots without flash and using a lighter APS-C camera with a wide angle prime lens.

With current cameras provide very good image quality at ISO 6400 I have little need to boost the light level and while a triggered mono light can produce a dramatic effect it is not enough of an improvement and affects too few images to add the time to what is already a 12 hour day.

May 13, 2016 at 04:09 PM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

I use OCF Yongnuo Slave in M mode, and Canon on camera ETTL for reception. Works pretty good for me.

May 13, 2016 at 10:20 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

I use Cheetah lights. Manual only.

May 14, 2016 at 09:42 AM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

And the Cheetahlight Canon 1.3 firmware is available on Cheethastand Fb group. This is for the Canon V860X only!

May 18, 2016 at 11:09 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

Always shoot OCF for receptions, usually quite a bit for portraits too, and sometimes during getting ready if I have time. Always manual.

May 19, 2016 at 12:16 AM
WiredMike
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Off Camera flash at wedding receptions? Manual or TTL? V860II?

I strap a kerosene lantern to the top of my camera....
OCF during formals and reception.

May 24, 2016 at 07:06 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.