Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Leica 28/5.6 Summaron-M ??

Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica 28/5.6 Summaron-M ??

So apparently this is a rumored upcoming release.

Kind of an interesting rumor. Would you be interested?

You've got to wonder, even among Leica users who really like things compact, how many people the current 28 Elmarit-M ASPH isn't small enough for. But more than that, I wonder if a lens can even get much smaller - at some point the limiting factor isn't the optics but the helicoid and having, you know, somewhere to put an aperture ring.

Alternately, I wonder if this means the 28 Elmarit is about to get bigger. Say, an ultra-performance APO version? Though looking at the 50 APO I would expect even a 28 APO-Elmarit-M ASPH to still be pretty darn small...

Hrmm...

May 11, 2016 at 01:40 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica 28/5.6 Summaron-M ??

For 28mm, 5.6 seems excessively slow, f3.5 I could see...
Size similar to 45/2, the 5.6 as a reissue could be as good of a reason as any I guess.
A digital CL would be interesting, I think it would sell better than their LCD-less M.

May 11, 2016 at 05:30 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica 28/5.6 Summaron-M ??

Lee Saxon wrote:

You've got to wonder, even among Leica users who really like things compact, how many people the current 28 Elmarit-M ASPH isn't small enough for. ..

Perhaps the same people who keep MS Optical in business.

Has been a working business model for Miyazaki San;
about as inobtrusive as one can imagine.

May 11, 2016 at 08:16 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica 28/5.6 Summaron-M ??

Lee Saxon wrote:
So apparently this is a rumored upcoming release.

You've got to wonder, even among Leica users who really like things compact, how many people the current 28 Elmarit-M ASPH isn't small enough for. But more than that, I wonder if a lens can even get much smaller - at some point the limiting factor isn't the optics but the helicoid and having, you know, somewhere to put an aperture ring.

Alternately, I wonder if this means the 28 Elmarit is about to get bigger. Say, an ultra-performance APO version? Though looking at the
...Show more

They just redesigned the Elmarit-M 28,so I'd be surprised if there's another update of that lens coming soon.

If it's flat field perfection wide open, tiny, and relatively inexpensive (this being Leica, of course), I'm guessing it might interest quite a few landscapers and maybe even some daylight street shooters.

May 11, 2016 at 01:45 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica 28/5.6 Summaron-M ??

freaklikeme wrote:
They just redesigned the Elmarit-M 28,so I'd be surprised if there's another update of that lens coming soon.

Most sources seem to say that was just a "refresh" like most of the Milvus, but you're probably right they wouldn't have bothered if a redesign was coming.

May 11, 2016 at 02:26 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica 28/5.6 Summaron-M ??

The only way this makes sense to me is if they're going to have a line of retractable lenses: a slow but ultra-compact 28, 50, 90 kit could be quite appealing to some. They already have the 90, and with this they could just refresh the Elmar 50 and then, somehow, Bob becomes your uncle.

On the other hand, there could be a fanbase somewhere that really loves something about this which I just don't understand. Leica's repeatedly shown that they aren't afraid of targeting niches like that, which I think is admirable.

Cheers,
Jon

May 11, 2016 at 02:40 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica 28/5.6 Summaron-M ??

I would prefer a 'perfect' 28/4 Super-Elmar.

As it is, a 28/5.6 or 28/4 would not be an only lens in a kit. I would still have a faster 28. In my case, the Cron, so a two stop jump to f/4 feels more reasonable than three stops to f/5.6.

I could see interest in this as a landscape (or street) lens if from wide open it matches or outclasses the likes of the 21SEM. It would also be nice to see something from Leica under $2K other than the Summarit line (which itself has been price inflated a lot recently, apparently because it was too cheap and therefore wasn't credible and wasn't selling). But I wouldn't hold my breath about the price. Leica, of anyone, trends towards charging more for less.

I'd love to get the 90/4 but the 'bang for the buck' has so far dissuaded me. It could be that a 28/5.6 would be similar. For me it would by no means be an all purpose lens. That's what the 28 Cron is for. Rather, it would be for outdoor daytime outings (unless I bring a tripod, which is rare) and optical perfection. While I'm not sure about the 28 Elmarit refresh, the new 28 Cron does show better sharpness than the original version at wider apertures across the frame and with higher contrast.

May 11, 2016 at 07:45 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.