Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Which lenses for PGA Tour event

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which lenses for PGA Tour event

I'm off to the Tournament Players Championship practice round tomorrow which means I can bring cameras and long lenses. I'm trying to decide between using my Nikon 300mm f/2.8 with a 1.4TC or my Sigma 150-600 f/5.6-6.3 Contemporary. The latter obviously has more reach and is a bit lighter. What I don't know is which one will give me sharper images. Any of my photographer friends have any suggestions? Oh, and please, don't tell me to switch to Canon!

May 10, 2016 at 09:09 PM
CW100
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which lenses for PGA Tour event

graham_martin wrote:
I'm off to the Tournament Players Championship practice round tomorrow which means I can bring cameras and long lenses. I'm trying to decide between using my Nikon 300mm f/2.8 with a 1.4TC or my Sigma 150-600 f/5.6-6.3 Contemporary. The latter obviously has more reach and is a bit lighter. What I don't know is which one will give me sharper images. Any of my photographer friends have any suggestions? Oh, and please, don't tell me to switch to Canon!

OK, I'm pretty sure the 300 2.8 prime is going to be sharper than the Sigma (at least for Canon) but a zoom is more versatile.
When I was at an LPGA practice round a few years ago I used a 100-400, you could get real close to the players

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7342/14176373641_f1fc090e53_b.jpg

May 11, 2016 at 09:14 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which lenses for PGA Tour event

I agree that my 300 f/2.8 will be sharper, but the versatility of the zoom is a big plus especially since the fairways, greens etc are roped off and you can't get that close.

May 11, 2016 at 09:22 AM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which lenses for PGA Tour event

Which one is more of a pain in the butt to carry around as an observer?

I'd probably take the zoom just because you know you won't be able to get to the optimal position to use a 300 all the time, since you're just spectating.

May 11, 2016 at 12:59 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which lenses for PGA Tour event

That's what I wound up doing. I just got home from the practice round, and I will see how the Sigma did.

May 11, 2016 at 03:55 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which lenses for PGA Tour event

Here are a few photos from today's practice round at The Players Championship, TPC Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL. Some of them are not as sharp as I had hoped. Time to do some fine tuning!

Jason Day

Adam Scott

Jason Day

Bernhard Langer

Vijay Singh

May 11, 2016 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.