1       2      
       4              44       45       end

Pentax K-1 images

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Pentax K-1 images

pinholecam wrote:
Its about the same time as bracketing since it exposes for each frame based on the shutter speed setting.
The camera is fast merging the PixS shot.

So take it as doing x2 3 frame bracketing shots in terms of total time taken.

I am on LR up till this point.
Thats because I like LR better for the control I can get for exposure adjustments using the adjustment brush.
I've seen evaluations where the PCDU (the given Pentax software) does a better job of removing movement artifacts and sharpening though.

It has been mentioned, and apparently confirmed by Adobe, that there is currently a bug in the current version of Lightroom/ ACR with the K-1 and pixel shift mode where not only is the motion not handled correctly (as I have shown) but there is also a blue color cast and contrast issue.

"As demonstrated, color in SuperRes mode is inferior in contrast and color to StdRes mode; a veiling blue haze intrudes. And it is not easy to fix—I did not find a satisfactory solution."

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/20160513_1214-PentaxK1-colorRendition-SuperRes-dolls.html

May 15, 2016 at 12:33 PM
pinholecam
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Pentax K-1 images

Tariq Gibran wrote:
It has been mentioned, and apparently confirmed by Adobe, that there is currently a bug in the current version of Lightroom/ ACR with the K-1 and pixel shift mode where not only is the motion not handled correctly (as I have shown) but there is also a blue color cast and contrast issue.

"As demonstrated, color in SuperRes mode is inferior in contrast and color to StdRes mode; a veiling blue haze intrudes. And it is not easy to fix—I did not find a satisfactory solution."

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/20160513_1214-PentaxK1-colorRendition-SuperRes-dolls.html

Thanks for the info.
I've seen similar result comparison done for K3II on Pentax Forums.

So finally, I've installed PCDU

May 15, 2016 at 11:12 PM
pinholecam
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Pentax K-1 images

Tariq Gibran wrote:

Thanks for the info.
I've seen similar result comparison done for K3II on Pentax Forums.

So finally, I've installed PCDU

May 15, 2016 at 11:12 PM
pinholecam
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Pentax K-1 images

Another shot from yesterday.

20160515-IMGP0432 by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+M20/4

May 15, 2016 at 11:13 PM
johnvanr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Pentax K-1 images

sculptormic wrote:
I had one in my hand and it sure is very well made and small for a dslr. Still I think I'll have to wait to see what the Sony Pro will have to offer. Also because it would mean I have to buy a lot of new expensive lenses for it, while I have enough already. Although I just bought a Pentax-A 28/2, quiet a rare lens Will test it on the A7r and probably sell it again I have enough 28/2's.

Funny to see the completely different design philosophy between the Pentax and the Leica!

You can buy the Pentax and three delicious "limited" lenses for close to the price of the Sony A7R II.

May 15, 2016 at 11:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Pentax K-1 images

Tariq Gibran wrote:

Wondering ... is this using the same profile for the two different modes? Or, has a separate profile been made for each mode.

I'm wondering if that is a veiling shift, or if it is an increased sensitivity to blue (weaker energy @ B vs. R of single RGGB, @ most likely to benefit from the extra data). Spot checking the numbers around the image, there is a lot of reflecting going on, and the ruler's don't show consistent color in either mode.

While there are areas of the scene that are neutral in the standard mode, that go blue, there are also some areas that were a bit warm and go closer to neutral. I'm thinking that without a separate profile for each mode, it would be expected to have a "shift" as you harness more of the weak data that might have otherwise been left on the table.

I see the changes as noted ... but still am @ was this two dedicated profiles, or one profile being applied to each such that it could be a match / mismatch situation rather than two matched profiles for the diff modes.

May 16, 2016 at 01:46 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Pentax K-1 images

RustyBug wrote:
Wondering ... is this using the same profile for the two different modes? Or, has a separate profile been made for each mode.

I'm wondering if that is a veiling shift, or if it is an increased sensitivity to blue (weaker energy @ B vs. R of single RGGB, @ most likely to benefit from the extra data). Spot checking the numbers around the image, there is a lot of reflecting going on, and the ruler's don't show consistent color in either mode.

While there are areas of the scene that are neutral in the standard mode, that go
...Show more

I think the difference in color between the modes is too great to attribute the Adobe bug with Pixel Shift to a profile mismatch/ issue. Lloyd's latest example where he pushes the shadows is pretty dramatic. To me, this looks to be a major processing bug of the 4 separate images used in the Pixel Shift image - perhaps a demosaic error of the data somewhere.
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/20160515_1532-PentaxK1-VeliingBlueHaze.html

May 16, 2016 at 02:56 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Pentax K-1 images

Well, the scene inside the room is being illuminated with blue light (note the outside plant shadow orientation and shadowed leaves). Note the color of the grass outside in both sides is reasonably equal (i.e. not blue light).

Yes, the "push" makes the diff easier to see. I wonder what the file looks like when run through the OEM software? I'm still not convinced this isn't a profile issue.

The push of a very poorly chosen, mixed lighting scene (outdoor Sunny 16 / Indoor open shade) really doesn't tell me anything, other than it looks like the Pixel Shift mode is picking up a much greater sensitivity to the low energy blue light (for which a profile should be made for Pixel Shift mode).

I'm pretty sure I understand where the blue light is coming from into the room ... and I'm thinking it is simply being captured better by pixel shift mode. Note also, on the left side, how looking through the window renders the deck a different color (the window collecting / refracting cool light of the shade / sky).

May 16, 2016 at 03:47 AM
vagrant10

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Pentax K-1 images

Had 15 minutes between things I had to get done today so thought I'd head outside and see what else I could learn about the new camera. Well it was raining. So may as well make sure the weather seals were what they're supposed to be.

Slapped on the DFA100 macro and tossed the DA*60-250 to see if it was usable on a full frame camera like other K-1 owners have reported.

Nothing great picture-wise came of today...
...but my camera still works! Mission accomplished
but learned that the DA* 60-250 vignettes but then remembered I was supposed to take off the lens hood - doh! Going to have to try that again. Even with the hood, though, the useable image is still way larger than APS-C.

IMGP0499-1 by mhiran1, on Flickr
F9, 1/200th, iso 3200 handheld

IMGP0523-1 by mhiran1, on Flickr
F9, 1/250th, iso 3200 handheld

May 16, 2016 at 07:13 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Pentax K-1 images

RustyBug wrote:
Well, the scene inside the room is being illuminated with blue light (note the outside plant shadow orientation and shadowed leaves). Note the color of the grass outside in both sides is reasonably equal (i.e. not blue light).

I highly suspect the interior in his shot is being lit by tungsten light myself and that the slight WB correction going on results in the outside daylight showing a blue bias (since the tungsten is probably around 3200K and the outside daylight around 5500K) - that would be a very typical situation. I will shoot/ process some tests myself in Adobe.

May 16, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pinholecam
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Pentax K-1 images

20160515-IMGP0450 by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+M20/4

May 16, 2016 at 11:33 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Pentax K-1 images

RustyBug wrote:

Yes, the "push" makes the diff easier to see. I wonder what the file looks like when run through the OEM software? I'm still not convinced this isn't a profile issue.

The push of a very poorly chosen, mixed lighting scene (outdoor Sunny 16 / Indoor open shade) really doesn't tell me anything, other than it looks like the Pixel Shift mode is
...Show more

Here is a quick color test which also shows the Adobe blue shadow issue with Pixel Shift K-1 images. Same WB for all three images below. Far left is Pixel Shift converted with the current version of LIghtroom, middle is same scene and WB but no Pixel Shift also converted in the current version of Lightroom and third is a camera jpeg. The color checker chart on the table is reasonably close in all three with the obvious difference being the crazy blue color cast in the shadow (front of enlarger head) in the Pixel Shift LIghtroom converted first image. Given the color chart similarity, as well as the rest of the scene, I doubt a simple color profile issue is the cause but rather something flawed Adobe is doing in their handling of Pixel Shift specifically.

May 16, 2016 at 04:08 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Pentax K-1 images

Thanks Taric!
But now I am curious how this image would look with pixelshift developed with Silkypix....

May 16, 2016 at 04:24 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Pentax K-1 images

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Here is a quick color test which also shows the Adobe blue shadow issue with Pixel Shift K-1 images. Same WB for all three images below. Far left is Pixel Shift converted with the current version of LIghtroom, middle is same scene and WB but no Pixel Shift also converted in the current version of Lightroom and third is a camera jpeg. The color checker chart on the table is reasonably close in all three with the obvious difference being the crazy blue color cast in the shadow (front of enlarger head) in the Pixel Shift LIghtroom converted first
...Show more

Can you try a few clicks on the shadow tint slider and see if that corrects the shadow cast without introducing too much color error (as visible on the color chart)?

May 16, 2016 at 05:26 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Pentax K-1 images

sculptormic wrote:
Thanks Taric!
But now I am curious how this image would look with pixelshift developed with Silkypix....

The color mimics whatever the camera jpegs settings are AND the pixel shift converted raw via Silkypix shows no weird blue shadows.

Here is the same Pixel Shift file as used for the Lightroom raw conversion above but converted via Digital Camera Utility (Silkypix). Btw, I'm finding Digital Camera Utility/ Silkypix to have plenty of bugs itself but at least it gets the color and Pixel Shift right.

May 16, 2016 at 05:57 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Pentax K-1 images

snapsy wrote:
Can you try a few clicks on the shadow tint slider and see if that corrects the shadow cast without introducing too much color error (as visible on the color chart)?

The shadow tint slider under camera profile goes from Green to Magenta and sliding it does nothing to fix the blue shadow cast. I suspect that's really for more subtle casts than what exists here. I'm uploading the 165MB raw if anyone ones to take a look at it. I will post it once it finishes uploading (it may take a while). I don't think there is a quick fix within ACR/ Lightroom.

May 16, 2016 at 06:17 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Pentax K-1 images

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The shadow tint slider under camera profile goes from Green to Magenta and sliding it does nothing to fix the blue shadow cast. I suspect that's really for more subtle casts than what exists here. I'm uploading the 165MB raw if anyone ones to take a look at it. I will post it once it finishes uploading (it may take a while). I don't think there is a quick fix within ACR/ Lightroom.

It might be LR/ACR not handling the black level correctly (or the camera not encoding the correct value). If you can share a DNG I'll play with the black level via exiftool and see if it can be massaged to produce better results in LR/ACR.

May 16, 2016 at 07:03 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Pentax K-1 images

snapsy wrote:
It might be LR/ACR not handling the black level correctly (or the camera not encoding the correct value). If you can share a DNG I'll play with the black level via exiftool and see if it can be massaged to produce better results in LR/ACR.

Here is the Pixel Shift DNG. You probably know, but this DNG container has the 4 individual raws within it. If you open it in an older version of ACR/ Lightroom, it only opens one of the 4 and does not suffer any issues (beyond not having an updated custom color profile for the K-1 that is , yet it still looks decent as seen below). To see the issue with Lightroom/ ACR, the DNG must be opened in the latest version (Camera Raw version 9.5.1 which is used in LIghtroom 6.5.1).

Pixel Shift DNG:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5540407/_K1_0896.DNG

What this file looks like after converted in an older version of ACR that does not support the K-1 (so no Pixel Shift occurs and it only uses one of the raws in the DNG).

May 16, 2016 at 07:46 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Pentax K-1 images

Looks like Lloyd has found that the blue shadow with pixel shift raws in the current version of Adobe Camera Raw/ Lightroom only occurs if you choose DNG for the raw format. Pixel Shift PEF raw's don't have the issue in Adobe (though Adobe still doesn't support Motion Correction). Of course, the huge downside is that the current K-1 PEF's will not open in older raw software like the DNG's do. It's so nice to shoot in DNG and choose pretty much any raw converter (older Adobe, Capture One, PhotoNinja, etc.) when not using pixel shift.

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/20160516_1302-PentaxK1-VeliingBlueHaze-update.html

May 17, 2016 at 01:13 AM
vagrant10

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Pentax K-1 images

@pinholecam

That reflection is amazing. You must wake up early every morning! Really makes your photos special with that great light. Well done!

Here's another photo while trying out the DA*60-250 f4 - it's supposed to be a crop only lens, but I think we're finding that this lens will do very well on FF except for a bit of vignetting in the corners. I need to try it without the lens hood to see the full extent, but sharpness is not going to be a problem.

IMGP0531-Edit-1 by mhiran1, on Flickr
Pentax DA*60-250 @ 140mm, f9 1/250th, iso 100, cropped a little vignetting from corners, lens hood on

May 17, 2016 at 05:45 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password