FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              44       45       end

Archive 2016 · Pentax K-1 images

pinholecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pentax K-1 images

vagrant10 wrote:
I'd rate the Sigma 17-35 as a 3 to 3.5 out of 5 stars unless you take price into consideration, then it does superwide quite well. But be careful of the corners, or at least aware that unless you're stopped down a LOT, they will be soft. I've been a bit spoiled by the Pentax DA 12-24 and Sigma 8-16 on apsc so my standards are a bit high.

After my finances recover a bit from the K-1 purchase (or I earn more money from gigs), I'll get the Pentax DFA15-30 f2.8 - the images I've seen from this Tamron
...Show more

From your latest photo, you certainly know how to make the 17-35 sing.

The Samyang 14/2.8 (if a good copy) is very good.
Mine has the infinity stop accurately at infinity focus.
Usable in 'A' mode too on a Pentax DSLR, which is also a plus.
Distortion is the highest I've ever seen on a UWA prime but its correctable in post with a profile if the image requires it.

May 13, 2016 at 07:50 AM
Feudal1
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pentax K-1 images

Out at Nationals Stadium for the Washington Nationals game a couple of night ago. The in-body stabilization is fantastic, as are the low-light capabilities.

Nationals Stadium

Nationals Stadium

May 13, 2016 at 11:49 AM
robgo2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pentax K-1 images

I was a Pentax user up through the K-5II, after which I switched to Sony mirrorless. I always liked the Pentax system and still own all of the FA Limited lenses. I must say that the IQ from the K-1 looks excellent. I hope that the new camera is a success and that Pentax prospers.

Rob

May 13, 2016 at 12:46 PM
pinholecam
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pentax K-1 images

20160513-IMGP0392 by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+M20/4

May 13, 2016 at 02:23 PM
Nate71LB
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pentax K-1 images

pinholecam wrote:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7748/26920666521_897d3facc6_h.jpg
20160513-IMGP0392 by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+M20/4

Great pic
Was pixel shift used?

May 13, 2016 at 10:38 PM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pentax K-1 images

Some great pics guys. Sure wish I could get my hands on one.
Any ideas for a K-1 source ? B&H, Adorama, the usual suspects are "back ordered" and give no indication when they might have some.

May 13, 2016 at 11:14 PM
vagrant10

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pentax K-1 images

Feudal1 wrote:
Out at Nationals Stadium for the Washington Nationals game a couple of night ago. The in-body stabilization is fantastic, as are the low-light capabilities.

I'm finding the stabilization really amazing.
First shot - 2.5 seconds - I had the camera resting on one corner of the camera on a round rail so my hands were on the camera the whole time and I didn't use the timer because that disables the stabilization (SR)

Second shot, handheld, body leaning against a rail - 1 second

IMGP0409-1 by mhiran1, on Flickr

IMGP0397-1 by mhiran1, on Flickr

May 14, 2016 at 05:38 AM
pinholecam
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pentax K-1 images

Nate71LB wrote:
Great pic
Was pixel shift used?

Thanks.

Yes, its with pixel shift.
Since I shoot with consideration for exposure bracketing, the PixS is just one more quick 'bracketing' to what I am doing anyway.
So might as well do it and decide later if I need it.

May 14, 2016 at 11:12 AM
pinholecam
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pentax K-1 images

20160513-IMGP0368 by jenkwang, on Flickr

I just love the M20/4.
While lenses get more and more macho, I am relieved that there are such lenses like the M20/4 that are a good small size for my preference of an easier to carry around setup.

Finally got to trying out the other mode dial today.
Once I tried it, I just can't believe how easy this setup is but no one thought out it until Pentax offers it on the K1.

Basically, I can choose a function that I used often and want fast changes and set that on the mode dial, allowing it to be then controlled easily/fast with the 3 scroll wheel.
Eg.
1. Set to EV +/-, then the 3rd scroll wheel becomes a +/- ev compensation selector.
2. Set to Bracketing, then the 3rd scroll wheel becomes a bracketing type selector.
etc
etc

May 14, 2016 at 11:13 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pentax K-1 images

pinholecam wrote:
Since I shoot with consideration for exposure bracketing, the PixS is just one more quick 'bracketing' to what I am doing anyway.

Can you expand on the diff between shooting with exposure bracketing vs. pixel shift.

Would be interested to hear your .02 on pro's / cons of each @ capture and pp.

May 14, 2016 at 01:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeffrey Behr
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pentax K-1 images

"Can you expand on the diff between shooting with exposure bracketing vs. pixel shift.

Would be interested to hear your .02 on pro's / cons of each @ capture and pp."

Pixel Shift takes 4 frames that are identical except that the sensor is shifted one pixel at a time among the 4 diodes of the Bayer pattern of the sensor; those 4 frames are combined in-camera. The result is that each pixel of the resulting images has been fotografed by 4 pixels, and the visible results are higher resolution and lower noise.

Its positive affect on resolution is subtle; its help on noise is more noticeable.

Edited on May 15, 2016 at 02:43 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2016 at 11:10 PM
Jeffrey Behr
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pentax K-1 images

All shot in Phoenix this week with K-1, Pixel Shift, ISO 100, tripod, and the '$50' Pentax 100-300/4.7-5.8. I LOVE this camera; it feels GREAT in my medium-sized hands and has all the foto tools I'll ever need. After the Limited Trio, I'm now gathering the Zeiss ZKs, with 28/2 in hand, 35/2 on the way, and 85/1.4 soon on the way. Will probably sell the Ltd 31 and 77.

Edited on May 15, 2016 at 02:44 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2016 at 11:15 PM
vagrant10

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Pentax K-1 images

@ Jefferey Behr - I'll be interested to hear your opinion on the diffs between the FA Limited's vs the Zeiss lenses. I suppose during the time you have them both, could be great to see some comparison shots! Not many people are lucky enough to have all those together at one time!

Anyways, congrats on your new tool!

May 15, 2016 at 02:21 AM
vagrant10

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Pentax K-1 images

Another beautiful shot Pinholecam - you really have a knack for cityscapes.

Regarding the advantages of high quality but small lenses, there's no doubt that this is important. You never know what you'll run across and having more options can make a big difference in the end result.

So far, I've been really impressed with the ergonomics of the K-1 - all controls are in a place that makes sense and having that third control wheel has made making changes to settings that much faster. And so far, I'm really liking the customizable info screen.

Next need to test out the wifi tethered controls, pixel shift, and Astrotracer.... Of course I'm still testing out lenses too.

And I keep hearing reports that many DA lenses are useable! Having more lens options is always a good thing!

May 15, 2016 at 02:31 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Pentax K-1 images

I meant more about the process of using pixel shift ... how long it takes between capture ... mirror up/ down / etc.

Jeffrey Behr wrote:
Can you expand on the diff between shooting with exposure bracketing vs. pixel shift.

Pixel Shift takes 4 frames that are identical except that the sensor is shifter one pixels at a time among the 4 diodes of the Bayer pattern of the sensor; those 4 frames are combined in-camera. The result is that each pixel of the resulting images has been fotografed by 4 pixels, and the visible results is higher resolution and lower noise.

Its positive affect on resolution is subtle; its
...Show more

May 15, 2016 at 03:14 AM
pinholecam
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Pentax K-1 images

RustyBug wrote:

Its about the same time as bracketing since it exposes for each frame based on the shutter speed setting.
The camera is fast merging the PixS shot.

So take it as doing x2 3 frame bracketing shots in terms of total time taken.

I am on LR up till this point.
Thats because I like LR better for the control I can get for exposure adjustments using the adjustment brush.
I've seen evaluations where the PCDU (the given Pentax software) does a better job of removing movement artifacts and sharpening though.

May 15, 2016 at 06:17 AM
pinholecam
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Pentax K-1 images

20160515-IMGP0428-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+M20/4

The M20/4, with its small size, and easy 49mm filter thread has become my go to UWA.

No regrets waking early today.
Fantastic sunrise (and rather cool morning too)

May 15, 2016 at 06:19 AM
tsjanik

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Pentax K-1 images

pinholecam wrote:
[

The M20/4, with its small size, and easy 49mm filter thread has become my go to UWA.

No regrets waking early today.
Fantastic sunrise (and rather cool morning too)

I happy to hear your reports on the M 20mm; it was my favorite on my LX, but has been sitting on a shelf for 15 years.

May 15, 2016 at 12:12 PM
goldencode
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Pentax K-1 images

I am deep into Canon gear but I am being swooned by the Pentax K-1. There is a lot to like especially the price point for what you are getting. Would love to see the Sigma Art lenses in the K-mount in addition to the 35 Art.
Competition and choice is wonderful.

May 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Pentax K-1 images

RustyBug wrote:
I meant more about the process of using pixel shift ... how long it takes between capture ... mirror up/ down / etc.

The mirror does not go up and down for each of the 4 exposures taken in Pixel Shift mode. In Pixel Shift mode, the mirror goes up (unless you are shooting in Live View, in which case the mirror is already up) and the 4 individual exposures are made in electronic shutter mode for the sensor (so the physical shutter does not move during this time either). It's completely quite and vibration free. It is the only mode on the K-1 that currently offers a full, sensor based, electronic shutter mode.

May 15, 2016 at 12:28 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password