New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              44       45       end

Pentax K-1 images

vagrant10

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pentax K-1 images

Now that the K-1 is here, I thought I'd start a new thread where our Pentax K-1 images are up front. Please feel free to post all your K-1 photos here

Only a couple hours of usage so far, but I am very impressed. Focusing is fast, sure, and true even in low light. So far, I've only used AF-S and single shot. High iso sharpness is really really good. Colors are great, dynamic range is all that you've heard, and the play button location sure takes getting used to. The tilty screen definitely comes in handy, and the grip is the best I've felt from Pentax and I've loved the k3/k5iis grips so this is not a small deal. Size is just a little larger than the aforementioned cams - I will not have to change bags, which is awesome. Viewfinder will take some getting used to, particularly finding the focus square when engaging AF - it's black until it locks then it turns red - a black box is hard to see when things are dark. Hopefully this gets addressed. But there is no doubt this is a game changing camera by Pentax. I can't wait to keep exploring what the K-1 can do!

Here are some random shots when I had a few free moments. Nothing groundbreaking, but just playing around and getting familiar with the cam and different lenses on it.

All shots have some processing in Lightroom, nothing major though.

Exif Info below the photo

DFA100 f3.5, 1/100, iso3200

DFA50 f5.0, 1/80th, iso 200

DFA50 f5.0 1/80th, iso 400

DFA100 f5.6 1/1000 iso 100

Tamron 28-75 28mm f4.5 1/50th iso 800

Tamron 28-75 50mm f4.5 iso 800

Tamron 28-75 28mm f4.5 iso 3200

May 10, 2016 at 02:06 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pentax K-1 images

We have a dedicated Pentax K-1 thread (for all things K-1 related). I just wonder if this image thread should be more general, like Pentax Image Thread/ Pentax Images? I could be wrong, just a thought. Maybe we had one in the past, I don't know. I know we had one for Pentax lenses.

May 10, 2016 at 02:23 PM
pinholecam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pentax K-1 images

Adding some older ones until I shoot more.
But lets get this thread going.

20160501-IMGP0070 by jenkwang, on Flickr

20160501-IMGP0057-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

20160503-IMGP0175-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

20160503-IMGP0210-Pixel shift by jenkwang, on Flickr

20160503-IMGP0221 by jenkwang, on Flickr

20160508-IMGP0236 by jenkwang, on Flickr

20160508-IMGP0245 by jenkwang, on Flickr

May 11, 2016 at 12:25 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pentax K-1 images

Here are a few of mine from the original thread, both with CY Zeiss 85/2.8 Sonnar.

...and this one which the quality from the 100% crop is quite amazing imo.
Full image:

100% Crop from above:

May 11, 2016 at 01:21 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pentax K-1 images

Wow...Pentax IQ is realllllly NICE

May 12, 2016 at 02:07 AM
SMcGuire45

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pentax K-1 images

Love seeing these new images coming from the K-1!

May 12, 2016 at 03:20 AM
vagrant10

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pentax K-1 images

Tariq that crop of the butterfly is just sick (in a good way)! Beautiful colors and of course soo sharp.

Pinholecam - love all your pictures you post, but that first one is super special.

So went for another walk testing out the Sigma 17-35 f2.8-f4 - a bit weak in the corners and it flares much more than Pentax coated glass, but it's cheaaap (should be under $300 on ebay). Pleasantly surprised really - nice contrast, good color, and pretty sharp in the middle.

I really wanted to test out the new and improved 5 axis/ 5 stop shake reduction so I looked to see how my slow shutter stuff turned out:

Sigma 17-35 @ 17mm, f14, 1/4, iso 160, handheld (leaning on rail)

Sigma 17-35 @ 17mm, f13, 1/4, iso 100, handheld (freestanding)

Sigma 17-35 @ 17mm, f9, 1/200, iso 1000, flip screen out and me bent over (worst. form. ever )

May 12, 2016 at 06:30 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pentax K-1 images

I have no intentions of buying into Pentax-- but stopped by to say these images are gorgeous. Nice work, and looks like a fantastic camera.

May 12, 2016 at 07:30 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pentax K-1 images

Agreed - really, really nice colors, tonality and overall look to the images.

May 12, 2016 at 07:35 AM
lenticular11
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pentax K-1 images

Fantastic images all.

I think my next FF DSLR might just be the K-1, especially since venturing into P645 and P67 territory has given me a swag of lenses that will readily adapt onto the K-1. I also have legacy lenses like my K M 50 f1.7 from 1982

Just to clarify, I believe that the K-1 is yet another camera to source its sensor from Sony - is this correct?

May 12, 2016 at 07:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

vagrant10

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pentax K-1 images

lenticular11 wrote:
Fantastic images all.

I think my next FF DSLR might just be the K-1, especially since venturing into P645 and P67 territory has given me a swag of lenses that will readily adapt onto the K-1. I also have legacy lenses like my K M 50 f1.7 from 1982

Just to clarify, I believe that the K-1 is yet another camera to source its sensor from Sony - is this correct?

All indications are that yes, this is an updated version of the Sony sensor found in the D810. Most reviews I've seen make this comparison. Pentax has been using Sony sensors for quite some time often having noise characteristics that are easier to deal with than both Sony and Nikon. It seems the K-1 carries on in that ability.

May 12, 2016 at 08:03 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pentax K-1 images

Thanks 'vagrant'

May 12, 2016 at 08:08 AM
Tmuussoni
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pentax K-1 images

I absolutely love the IQ from K-1. If only this was a mirrorless body to shed some of that 1 kg weight away. Just my opinion, of course...

May 12, 2016 at 11:27 AM
pinholecam
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pentax K-1 images

vagrant10 wrote:
Tariq that crop of the butterfly is just sick (in a good way)! Beautiful colors and of course soo sharp.

Pinholecam - love all your pictures you post, but that first one is super special.

So went for another walk testing out the Sigma 17-35 f2.8-f4 - a bit weak in the corners and it flares much more than Pentax coated glass, but it's cheaaap (should be under $300 on ebay). Pleasantly surprised really - nice contrast, good color, and pretty sharp in the middle.

I really wanted to test out the new and improved 5 axis/ 5 stop shake reduction
...Show more

Thanks.

I like your fist shot (the passing train is just at the right spot of the photo)

How would you rate the Sigma 17-35?
Its often placed as a budget version of the Canon 17-40L in the past.

The nice thing about it other than price is that it can take screw in filters, so I am considering one. (or the Tamron 17-35)

May 12, 2016 at 12:13 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pentax K-1 images

Tmuussoni wrote:
I absolutely love the IQ from K-1. If only this was a mirrorless body to shed some of that 1 kg weight away. Just my opinion, of course...

Probably the closest thing in mirrorless as far as build quality, the Leica SL, does not actually weigh that much less (163 grams). All other current FF mirrorless options are not made as robust or durable as a K-1. It will be interesting to see what the upcoming Sony Pro mirrorless (A9) body weighs.

http://j.mp/23K11ub

May 12, 2016 at 12:15 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pentax K-1 images

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Probably the closest thing in mirrorless as far as build quality, the Leica SL, does not actually weigh that much less (163 grams). All other current FF mirrorless options are not made as robust or durable as a K-1. It will be interesting to see what the upcoming Sony Pro mirrorless (A9) body weighs.

http://j.mp/23K11ub

I had one in my hand and it sure is very well made and small for a dslr. Still I think I'll have to wait to see what the Sony Pro will have to offer. Also because it would mean I have to buy a lot of new expensive lenses for it, while I have enough already. Although I just bought a Pentax-A 28/2, quiet a rare lens Will test it on the A7r and probably sell it again I have enough 28/2's.

Funny to see the completely different design philosophy between the Pentax and the Leica!

May 12, 2016 at 12:52 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pentax K-1 images

sculptormic wrote:
I had one in my hand and it sure is very well made and small for a dslr. Still I think I'll have to wait to see what the Sony Pro will have to offer. Also because it would mean I have to buy a lot of new expensive lenses for it, while I have enough already. Although I just bought a Pentax-A 28/2, quiet a rare lens Will test it on the A7r and probably sell it again I have enough 28/2's.

Funny to see the completely different design philosophy between the Pentax and the Leica!

I'm also very interested to see what Sony comes up with in the "A9". Rumor is we will see it late summer, early fall - and that it will have a whopping 72 MP!. I highly suspect it will be quite expensive for a Sony, perhaps $4000 or so.

May 12, 2016 at 01:31 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pentax K-1 images

The K-1 looks to be a very nice (and reasonably priced) camera. I haven't seen many samples yet using the AstroTracker feature. They say exposures up to five minutes without star trailing!

May 12, 2016 at 02:05 PM
vagrant10

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pentax K-1 images

pinholecam wrote:
Thanks.

I like your fist shot (the passing train is just at the right spot of the photo)

How would you rate the Sigma 17-35?
Its often placed as a budget version of the Canon 17-40L in the past.

The nice thing about it other than price is that it can take screw in filters, so I am considering one. (or the Tamron 17-35)

I'd rate the Sigma 17-35 as a 3 to 3.5 out of 5 stars unless you take price into consideration, then it does superwide quite well. But be careful of the corners, or at least aware that unless you're stopped down a LOT, they will be soft. I've been a bit spoiled by the Pentax DA 12-24 and Sigma 8-16 on apsc so my standards are a bit high.

After my finances recover a bit from the K-1 purchase (or I earn more money from gigs), I'll get the Pentax DFA15-30 f2.8 - the images I've seen from this Tamron clone have been outstanding. And I don't know if they upgraded the coatings to Pentax coatings, but it seems to resist flare quite well.

In the meantime, I still have the Samyang 14mm f2.8 to test so I have another superwide to test before I decide how quickly I need to act. I do shoot wide a lot though, so this is pretty important to me. It will be interesting to see how focus peaking works in live view on the K-1 - hopefully it's up to the task of allowing me to get sharp images with the Samyang variant.

While I'm here, I may as well post another picture

Sigma 17-35 f7.1, 1/200th, 35mm, iso 400

May 13, 2016 at 04:42 AM
pinholecam
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pentax K-1 images

Gary Clennan wrote:
The K-1 looks to be a very nice (and reasonably priced) camera. I haven't seen many samples yet using the AstroTracker feature. They say exposures up to five minutes without star trailing!

This is on my 'to do' list of things to try out with the K1.
No more fiddling with the balance of ISO/shutter speed/Aperture to keep stars from moving while having decent enough IQ with the ISO.

Unfortunately, I live right smack on the Equator and getting clear skies is very hard, this time of the year is even worse.

May 13, 2016 at 07:47 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password