Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Traveling With DSLR - What Registration Needs To Be Done?

Lauchlan Toal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Traveling With DSLR - What Registration Needs To Be Done?

Hi everyone, I was hoping you guys could help me understand what registration procedures I need to go through to make sure that I'm not charged at customs when traveling with my camera.

I'm planning to go to Scotland from Canada for a couple weeks this summer, and would like to bring my D610 and a few lenses. If any of you have done the same, or similar (either leaving Canada or entering Scotland) I'd greatly appreciate hearing your experience and any advice on what procedures need to be completed in order to avoid any issues.

Thanks!

May 08, 2016 at 01:32 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Traveling With DSLR - What Registration Needs To Be Done?

There is no registration, you are just bringing your camera. Don't worry about it, people travel with their cameras and gear everyday with no issue.

Jim

May 08, 2016 at 08:40 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Traveling With DSLR - What Registration Needs To Be Done?

I have no info for Canada or Scotland. However, for the USA, there is customs form 4457. I always use it when traveling with guns. Sometimes I will list camera gear.

Cheers, Steve

May 09, 2016 at 01:25 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Traveling With DSLR - What Registration Needs To Be Done?

I have never done this, for any trips to Europe or Asia and never had any issue (or even any questions.).

I DID fill out this form once when traveling from the US to Canada with some expensive and exotic electronics.

I wouldn't bother with the form.

May 09, 2016 at 07:29 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Traveling With DSLR - What Registration Needs To Be Done?

^^ Same here - filled out form once, was never asked for it, or challenged in any way. Since then, have traveled overseas twice without doing anything, and had no problems.

May 09, 2016 at 12:21 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Traveling With DSLR - What Registration Needs To Be Done?

JimFox wrote:
There is no registration, you are just bringing your camera. Don't worry about it, people travel with their cameras and gear everyday with no issue.

Jim

---------------------------------------------

ssc45 wrote:
I have no info for Canada or Scotland. However, for the USA, there is customs form 4457. I always use it when traveling with guns. Sometimes I will list camera gear.

Cheers, Steve

MalbikEndar wrote:
I have never done this, for any trips to Europe or Asia and never had any issue (or even any questions.).

I DID fill out this form once when traveling from the US to Canada with some expensive and exotic electronics.

I wouldn't bother with the form.

Fred Amico wrote:
^^ Same here - filled out form once, was never asked for it, or challenged in any way. Since then, have traveled overseas twice without doing anything, and had no problems.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! Glad to hear that it probably won't be an issue.

May 09, 2016 at 02:26 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Traveling With DSLR - What Registration Needs To Be Done?

One of the "anecdotal" sources I use for considering or compiling information is the amount of discussion of a particular "point" on forums like this, Facebook, etc. Now it may well be true that complaints are made more often than praises when reviewing an item a restaurant, etc., etc. So it seems to me that if a travel "problem" were serious for the everyday traveler, we'd see discussions of the problem. Because there are a lot of traveling photographers and while these forums seem to be more serious travelers or photographers, if the casual tourist photographer was getting whacked with customs for a simple kit on any kind of regular basis, the forums would be afire with discussions. They aren't.

May 09, 2016 at 10:03 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.