FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · GBH in the soup

Brian Woolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GBH in the soup

A few months ago, at Green Cay, found this unusual situation. The water was covered with these green seeds/leaves that must have been blown off the trees or possibly the grasses. For a few days it covers large areas of the water and then is gone. Don't know how the herons and egrets hunt in that mess but I guess they do.
C&C welcomed.
Brian

GBH in the soup

GBH from slightly above

a White Egret on the stalk

May 08, 2016 at 10:08 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GBH in the soup

I believe the green stuff is duckweed, and I've seen it very thick at times too. Nice set Brian ~ Ron

May 08, 2016 at 08:14 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GBH in the soup

Nice shots.

Birdie

May 08, 2016 at 08:31 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GBH in the soup

I'll confirm that the green stough is duckweed. A lower angle would be nice though I don't think it was available. Nice and sharp with good exposures

Morris

May 08, 2016 at 08:36 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GBH in the soup

surfnron wrote:
I believe the green stuff is duckweed, and I've seen it very thick at times too. Nice set Brian ~ Ron

Thank you, Ron, I guess it's duckweed spores because it is just floating loose on the water.
Thanks for your nice comment.
Brian

May 11, 2016 at 04:09 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GBH in the soup

birdied wrote:
Nice shots.

Birdie

Thank you, very much!
Brian

May 11, 2016 at 04:10 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GBH in the soup

morris wrote:
I'll confirm that the green stough is duckweed. A lower angle would be nice though I don't think it was available. Nice and sharp with good exposures

Morris

Thanks for the duckweed confirmation, As to a lower angle, my knees don't work so well anymore but it was a possibility as I was on a boardwalk. Glad you liked the photos.
Brian

May 11, 2016 at 04:12 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GBH in the soup

Hello Brian

Fun with the big birds I see. Since I see no shadows I assume you were out in pretty soft and dreary light? If you like to tinker you might find a little more to work with going a bit brighter on #1 and #2 possibly? I do like the white rendering in the last.

I enjoy watching these birds work in the duckweed, it seems they can sense the movement of the little plants and snag fronts and fish out pretty easily!
Take care and keep at them
Karl

May 11, 2016 at 07:17 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GBH in the soup

Karl Witt wrote:
Hello Brian

Fun with the big birds I see. Since I see no shadows I assume you were out in pretty soft and dreary light? If you like to tinker you might find a little more to work with going a bit brighter on #1 and #2 possibly? I do like the white rendering in the last.

I enjoy watching these birds work in the duckweed, it seems they can sense the movement of the little plants and snag fronts and fish out pretty easily!
Take care and keep at them
Karl

Karl, I do like overcast light as I find working in bright sun to be a pain. I do understand that #1&2 could do with some brightening. Not sure how well they do on catching fish that is, as I didn't wait around to see what they caught.
Thanks lot for your feedback. It's appreciated.
Brian

May 13, 2016 at 11:49 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.