Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

Just a few from tonight's District Tournament double header. We started out in some late afternoon light and quickly went to dark and high ISO ranges. Just for kicks, I went pretty quickly to iso 16K and kept the shutter speed (1/1250 to 1/1600) higher than what I would normally do just to play with the higher ISO.

All with the 1dx2 and 400 2.8 IS v1

A couple of quick thoughts:

1. AF seemed a little better than 1dx in initial aquisition and ability to track. Could be my imagination. More time will tell.
2. High ISO 16K - seemed OK, but I was a bit surprised that my recipies for noise reduction in LR for the 1dx did not seem to work as well with the 1dx2 or rather not as well as I think they can do. I will have to learn how to fine tune that. The detail seems to be there and and the color held up pretty well considering the light source. I also used anti-flicker, so that might have helped with the colors.

Oh, I did shoot a little HS choir concert last night and shot some 4k video for fun. Wow, that looks really, really good. I need to figure out to edit it and present it. The files are enormous..

© timgangloff 2016

© timgangloff 2016

© timgangloff 2016

© timgangloff 2016

© timgangloff 2016

May 08, 2016 at 12:04 AM
ifxbonz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

Hey Tim,
You have to remember the files from this camera are a new raw file type. You will most likely need to revisit your recipes. The original 1dx recipes you are used to will most likely be off. AF responsiveness and tracking should be noticeably better, as well as ISO. Though HS night time spots is never the lighting we wish for.

I shoot with the 400 2.8 vll and I had the IS version prior with the original 1dx and vll 400 is faster.

Tomorrow I am adding a 1.4ext to see what af responsiveness is like. I should have decent light. Not sure which half I''m gonna try it in yet, but I'm leaning towards the first half where the light will hold up. Game time is 5p. WPSL Orlando pride.
I'll circle back and let you know.

Andy

May 08, 2016 at 01:48 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

Tim,

I'm experiencing similar results with the 1DX II regarding my PP'ing & NR. Files are different that's for sure. So far the noise appears to be of a finer grain.
The approaches I've tried don't clean it up to the same extent they did with the 1DX files.

Work-in-progress for now

Matt

May 09, 2016 at 07:56 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

What ISOs are these at? I'm seeing quite a bit of noise in the last 3

May 09, 2016 at 08:25 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

Hey Paul, the last 3 are ISO 16K. Yeah, my processing on these is not where I want them, yet. The original files (raw) are pretty good, but I am doing something wrong. There is a lot of fine detail in the image, but the settings I used for the 1dX are not quite right for the 1dx2. But, in my defense, 16K in lousy HS lighting.

Edit: I think part of the issue is the old sharpening / resizing action I am using is that is accentuating the noise. Need to tweak that too.

May 09, 2016 at 08:35 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

Here is one with less sharpening and more noise reduction. ISO 16K.

May 10, 2016 at 09:40 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

ISO 25,6K 400 2.8 @ 2.8 1/1250 - I think I am getting closer to getting the noise settings correct. But, I hope to get some feedback on whether this is too much in trying to balance noise reduction without losing sharpness and the skin getting to plastic.

May 11, 2016 at 12:13 PM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

timgangloff wrote:
ISO 25,6K 400 2.8 @ 2.8 1/1250 - I think I am getting closer to getting the noise settings correct. But, I hope to get some feedback on whether this is too much in trying to balance noise reduction without losing sharpness and the skin getting to plastic.

Can you share your LR settings for this image? I just received my 1DX II and it would be nice to have a starting point for my NR treatment.

Thanks,
Matthew

May 14, 2016 at 04:49 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

ISO 25,600 looks good

May 15, 2016 at 05:38 PM
ThePictureGuy

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

Hey Tim, if you're still not sure about your LR settings, I'd be more than happy to do some experimenting and figure out some good settings for you. I'd just need you to send the 1dx2 over to NY so I can take some test shots and make sure I've got everything right :-P All joking aside, keep at it, I think you're close! Looking forward to seeing more of your work with the 1dx2.

May 17, 2016 at 11:47 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

ThePictureGuy wrote:
Hey Tim, if you're still not sure about your LR settings, I'd be more than happy to do some experimenting and figure out some good settings for you. I'd just need you to send the 1dx2 over to NY so I can take some test shots and make sure I've got everything right :-P All joking aside, keep at it, I think you're close! Looking forward to seeing more of your work with the 1dx2.

I'd love to have the help. Thanks for your generous offer. Please find attached some raw files to work with....

OH, you meant the whole camera. ;-)

May 19, 2016 at 04:13 PM
rrwingnut
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

Tim, I think that these photographs look outstanding!! 26.5K iso...SWEET!

Jun 05, 2016 at 07:24 PM
samwillow
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HS Baseball - 1dx2 - Good and Poor Lighting

love the expression that you get

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:54 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.