Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Bought a used 135 f2. Is this internal shaking sound normal?

chronoserge456

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bought a used 135 f2. Is this internal shaking sound normal?

It auto focuses quickly without a hitch, but it is still worrisome to me.

Edited on May 07, 2016 at 10:39 AM · View previous versions

May 07, 2016 at 09:47 AM
ShutterbugJ
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bought a used 135 f2. Is this internal shaking sound normal?

Mine does't make that noise.

May 07, 2016 at 09:49 AM
chronoserge456

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bought a used 135 f2. Is this internal shaking sound normal?

Here is the auto focus sound

May 07, 2016 at 09:51 AM
chronoserge456

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bought a used 135 f2. Is this internal shaking sound normal?

I've read conflicting reports, saying that internal parts move, but this seems kinda extreme for me.

May 07, 2016 at 09:54 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bought a used 135 f2. Is this internal shaking sound normal?

Compared to your first vid my lens sounds the same if I hold onto it by the focus ring only and shake it like you show.

The cause of my lens noise is a miniscule amount of longitudinal (not rotational) looseness in the focus ring such that if I hold on to any other part of the lens with one hand and wiggle the focus ring forward & back with the other I can hear a similar clicking sound. This lens been mostly if not the same way since new.

While holding mostly onto the stationary lens barrel and enough of the focus ring so that it does not wiggle while shaking then there is a different, much quieter noise, coming from deeper inside the lens that I can only hear if the area I'm in is very quiet.

BTW most of my lenses are also this way. Perhaps my older lenses have loosened up a little with use over the years. My newest lenses are much tighter and I feel that they are also made to tighter tolerances besides having less wear to loosen them up.

In comparison to the second vid my lens is exactly the same both in focus speed and sound when mounted on my 5D III set to servo mode, camera AF sensitivity set to default "Case 1" and lens cap on with focus limiter set to 1.5m - Infiniti (not 0.9m - Infiniti).

I am the only owner of this lens purchased new mid 2002. It has a fair amount of use on it over the years.

IMO your lens is functioning normally if you are testing it as I described.

Happy shooting, don't worry its a great lens!

May 09, 2016 at 01:12 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bought a used 135 f2. Is this internal shaking sound normal?

I found one of my lenses making a noise, and discovered that the front element was loose. I have a spanner wrench, so I tightened it up and all was fine. I believe it was my 135mm f/2.

I thought it was caused by me buying a Kenko TC for my 5D MK III and testing it on different lenses. Some of them, like the 135mm f/2 were unstable and AF started vibrating at a fast rate. Other lenses worked fine. In the end, with the AF issues and the camera lockup with certain lenses attached, I returned the TC.

Seeing the front element move was difficult, but holding it with my fingers while shaking the lens quickly isolated the issue.

May 10, 2016 at 01:42 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bought a used 135 f2. Is this internal shaking sound normal?

Patient: My arm hurts when I shake it like this.
Doctor: My prescription: don't shake it like that.

May 11, 2016 at 08:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.