FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sound like a scam?

matsmithphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sound like a scam?

I just received this email inquiring about a wedding date. Now I haven't been doing this as long as many of you folks have, so I haven't seen all the shapes and sizes these messages come in. To me it seems a bit off. But simultaneously, every time I've gotten a "scam" in the past it has always been a text message rather then a email directly from my website.

I was going to respond by talking about pricing and location etc. leaving out the contract for now... Just to see where this goes. Can anyone offer some guidance?

May 06, 2016 at 05:05 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sound like a scam?

I would do the same, ask where the wedding is to be held. Many times if I don't know if it's legit, I then contact the venue to find out if it's for real. If they don't know your pricing, it would seem odd to ask for a contract already.

May 06, 2016 at 06:48 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sound like a scam?

Who is Michael Dawson Photography ?

May 06, 2016 at 07:40 AM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sound like a scam?

After messaging back and forth I've discovered that she doesn't yet have a location planned. I've mentioned that we should meet for coffee and chat a bit about what they're looking for. But all I received in response is "My wedding planner, wants to see your contract and she also wants to know if you have a $1 million Insurance policy"

May 06, 2016 at 09:42 AM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sound like a scam?

"yes I do....but the ins. certs are issued to the venue." "Please forward your wedding planners info to me and I will get the contract to them for their review"

May 06, 2016 at 09:44 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sound like a scam?

I have booked weddings without the couple ever seeing a single picture of my work but in 30 years, I have NEVER had anyone want to book me without knowing/ asking my price.

I call this enquiry BOGUS!

Next thing it will be, " We are currently in Wherethefuckarewe and we need you to give the venue $50000 for us and some other oddball crap real clients NEVER ask and ......"

May 06, 2016 at 10:10 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sound like a scam?

Why is everyone so damned paranoid about fake/scam inquiries. I'm not sure I have ever received a single one, though I get plenty of tire-kickers. Just respond as normal and don't be stupid, if they ask you to do something weird like take a check they sent to the venue but then send them back a certain amount because they made it for too much.

May 07, 2016 at 02:43 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sound like a scam?

TTLKurtis wrote:
Why is everyone so damned paranoid about fake/scam inquiries.

Because if it walks like a Duck and talks like a duck.....

People have for years told me I am suspicious and untrusting.
I tell them they are correct but I have never been scammed in my life either.

I'm happy with the label and keeping my money in my pocket because I don't take anything on face value. I find more and more these days it's actually a wise practice especially dealing with people you do not know or have any knowledge of. . :0)

May 08, 2016 at 05:09 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sound like a scam?

Nothing wrong with figuring things out, we dont sell blue jeans bulkly.

I once, 7 or 8 years ago, had a couple in my studio, I knew the guy by sight, I was booked so I sent him to a mate who finally didnt get booked by the groom. A few times that I met that guy on the street I asked him "how was the wedding", with a weird expresssion on his face mixed of embarassment, shame, ... and looking down he answered: "fine thanks, fine thanks"; so I said to myself "what an odd guy" !.

The next season I saw the guy ( who runs an administrative work agency) shooting weddings; none of the Pros I know in this town, and speak with every now and then, shot his wedding.

Was it a real visit because he was getting married ? Maybe, but it makes you think.

May 08, 2016 at 06:49 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sound like a scam?

Messaging? The key here is that you have a phone number and if you talk to her, she can be legit. It is odd that the wedding planner is focused on an insurance policy, that's usually something that only the venue would care about. I would definitely meet with them before sending a contract. I have dealt with clients who did not live near me, so we would do a Skype video chat or a phone call, and then I'd send the contract.

I'd be wary, but I wouldn't give up on this yet.

May 08, 2016 at 08:24 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sound like a scam?

glort wrote:
Because if it walks like a Duck and talks like a duck.....

People have for years told me I am suspicious and untrusting.
I tell them they are correct but I have never been scammed in my life either.

I'm happy with the label and keeping my money in my pocket because I don't take anything on face value. I find more and more these days it's actually a wise practice especially dealing with people you do not know or have any knowledge of. . :0)

Whatever floats your boat but I've actually done a couple legit well paying events for emails that definitely seemed really weird and fake. One just wrote really overly formal. The other was just a really awful writer it turned out. The formal one was actually handed to me on a silver platter because another photographer thought it was a scammer.

May 08, 2016 at 09:55 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sound like a scam?

If you get an eMail conversation going and they quickly identify the venue it's likely legit. Send them your sample agreement.

May 08, 2016 at 10:12 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sound like a scam?

TTLKurtis wrote:
Whatever floats your boat but I've actually done a couple legit well paying events for emails that definitely seemed really weird and fake. One just wrote really overly formal. The other was just a really awful writer it turned out. The formal one was actually handed to me on a silver platter because another photographer thought it was a scammer.

I have not said to blow them off or suggested the enquiry be treated in any way other than what one normally would. So far there is not enough info to determine the legitimacy either way.

What I said was I called the enquiry Bogus and predicted the next thing would be requests typical of a scammer. If they turn out to be legit, that's fine, I have not suggested anything that would turn them away, Other than I would have my guard up.

Well up.

May 08, 2016 at 07:41 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sound like a scam?

One of my favorite weddings all started with a submission from my website that had the date and return email address, not a single other word in the email

May 09, 2016 at 06:58 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sound like a scam?

we get those too time to time

May 09, 2016 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.