Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Into the Cloud!

mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Into the Cloud!

http://www.mikevillavisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Screen-Shot-2016-05-05-at-11.51.01-PM-copy.jpg

I don't see this ending well for me, but went for the extra $10/mo for more bandwidths, so we'll see if things are worth it.

If you're a consumer of such things, feel free to provide any inputs/insights/complaints/doughnut photos here.

May 06, 2016 at 01:55 AM
chrisfphotog
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Into the Cloud!

I considered backblaze too but just never pulled the trigger. Let us know how it goes. I like how they'll send you a HD of your files if needed.

May 06, 2016 at 07:23 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Into the Cloud!

I'm really trying to figure out my long-term backup play.

Just the other day I was reading about data degradation with traditional spinning HDs. And then you have bit rot with the HFS+ file system with Apple.

What's the catch with Backblaze? It's $50/yr for unlimited storage - what would it cost me to recover, say, 1 RAW file from the system?

May 06, 2016 at 08:16 AM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Into the Cloud!

I used Back Blaze for nearly two years, and would have continued to use it if my Synology NAS supported it. They were great. File recovery is free if you download. It does take a little bit of time (less than an hour) for them to prepare the download. If you want it on a drive, it costs money.

May 06, 2016 at 09:54 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Into the Cloud!

But I can't treat Backblaze basically a huge external hard-drive, right?

Like, say I have a dozen external hard drives on my desk - I can't just do a drag and drop whenever I want

May 06, 2016 at 10:07 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Into the Cloud!

No, you cant do that, it doesnt work like, let's say, dropbox. This is the only thing I didn't like much when I used them.

ZachOly wrote:
But I can't treat Backblaze basically a huge external hard-drive, right?

Like, say I have a dozen external hard drives on my desk - I can't just do a drag and drop whenever I want

May 06, 2016 at 10:32 AM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Into the Cloud!

It is a mirror of your drive, so if you drag/drop something onto one of your synced drives, it'll be on BackBlaze. However, if you remove that drive from your computer, BackBlaze will remove that drive from the cloud within 60 days, IIRC.

May 06, 2016 at 11:34 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Into the Cloud!

ZachOly wrote:
I'm really trying to figure out my long-term backup play.

Just the other day I was reading about data degradation with traditional spinning HDs. And then you have bit rot with the HFS+ file system with Apple.

What's the catch with Backblaze? It's $50/yr for unlimited storage - what would it cost me to recover, say, 1 RAW file from the system?

Not much. You can download any of your files, and even browse your system online, through your phone, etc. My understanding is that it might take a few minutes/hours to request a backup though - not sure if it's instant? But I'm not certain on that. Downloading/recovering is free. If you need to recover large amounts of data, they can ship you a hard drive at a cost.

May 06, 2016 at 12:10 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Into the Cloud!

tgillespie wrote:
I used Back Blaze for nearly two years, and would have continued to use it if my Synology NAS supported it. They were great. File recovery is free if you download. It does take a little bit of time (less than an hour) for them to prepare the download. If you want it on a drive, it costs money.

Good to hear someone speaking nicely of them. It seems way more convenient to me that off-site hard drives (which I'm terrible at updating), so I'll give it a go.

The price was right, and it might be manageable with 20 mbs upload, which is about the fastest I can get for a reasonable price where I am.

May 06, 2016 at 12:12 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Into the Cloud!

Be aware that if you are backing up multiple drives and you take one of the drives and just set it on a shelf for whatever period (I think it's a month?) they will remove the backups of that drive!

Oops, tgillespie just said that.

I use Crashplan Pro now for that reason. If you have it set to never "Remove deleted files" you are set. They don't distinguish between files that have been deleted and those that are temporarily unavailable due to a disconnected drive.

May 06, 2016 at 12:19 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Into the Cloud!

Michael Beard wrote:
Be aware that if you are backing up multiple drives and you take one of the drives and just set it on a shelf for whatever period (I think it's a month?) they will remove the backups of that drive!

I use Crashplan Pro now for that reason. If you have it set to never "Remove deleted files" you are set. They don't distinguish between files that have been deleted and those that are temporarily unavailable due to a disconnected drive.

Oh crap. Crashplan looks like a much better deal. Versions + never deleting for the same price? I'm going to give that a closer look.

May 06, 2016 at 12:31 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Into the Cloud!

Why not Amazon Cloud w/ unlimited photos (including RAW) for $12 per YEAR?

That's what I'm using now.

Seems to me like the best solution if you just want RAW backups. If you want unlimited everything ($60/yr) for .PSD files, LR catalogs, etc. that might also be a good solution.

May 06, 2016 at 01:59 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Into the Cloud!

ZachOly wrote:

Looks like it's for personal use only

I got really excited when I first read that though.

May 06, 2016 at 02:29 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Into the Cloud!

I've been reading quite a bit about Amazon, and from I gather as long as you're not trying to sell via the platform you're okay.

May 06, 2016 at 02:36 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Into the Cloud!

mikethevilla wrote:
Oh crap. Crashplan looks like a much better deal. Versions + never deleting for the same price? I'm going to give that a closer look.

Make sure you are looking at Crashplan Pro and not the home version! I think I pay $10/month. So worth it.

I was dealing with a fairly slow upload at first due to a default setting in the configuration file that made it crawl with the large backup set that a photographer deals with- but once that was tweaked it's been ripping along. I have just under 10TB backed up. If you end up going with Crashplan Pro hit me up and I'll help you configure it!

May 06, 2016 at 02:37 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Into the Cloud!

Michael Beard wrote:
Make sure you are looking at Crashplan Pro and not the home version! I think I pay $10/month. So worth it.

I was dealing with a fairly slow upload at first due to a default setting in the configuration file that made it crawl with the large backup set that a photographer deals with- but once that was tweaked it's been ripping along. I have just under 10TB backed up. If you end up going with Crashplan Pro hit me up and I'll help you configure it!

Why pro vs the home one? Doesn't seem to have that many additional benefits?

May 06, 2016 at 02:42 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Into the Cloud!

ZachOly wrote:

That's what I'm using now.

Seems to me like the best solution if you just want RAW backups. If you want unlimited everything ($60/yr) for .PSD files, LR catalogs, etc. that might also be a good solution.

I definitely want more than just photos backed up, and at $60/year it's the same price as backblaze/crashplan. I don't know if it's better or worse, but it seems to be way more consumer-oriented and doesn't really spell out exactly what it does and doesn't do. The competitors do.

I use their mobile app to back up my phone photos though.

May 06, 2016 at 02:43 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Into the Cloud!

mikethevilla wrote:
Why pro vs the home one? Doesn't seem to have that many additional benefits?

Pro is the only one licensed for business use- functionally, I don't believe there are too many differences.

May 06, 2016 at 02:52 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Into the Cloud!

I did like them when I used them, the only feature I missed, but not a big deal, was the drag and drop thing, other than that, I felt very secured !

mikethevilla wrote:
Good to hear someone speaking nicely of them.

May 06, 2016 at 03:47 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Into the Cloud!

Michael Beard wrote:

Michael and any other crashploan users. You should have gotten am email with a new terms and condition. Usually I don't read those things but this one wasn't to long and just hightlighted changes. One thing to note on the never deleting files. Not sure that applies any longer to entire drives. Individual files yes keep that checked but I think we are now going to have to plug the dirves in every 6 months at least if I am reading this right. see below

"You must connect the devices you back up to the public cloud to CrashPlan Central at least once every 6 months. We may delete data stored in our public cloud associated with devices that have not been connected within such 6-month period."

Greg

May 06, 2016 at 04:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.