New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · An unusual Canon rebate question: 80d

pointbob
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · An unusual Canon rebate question: 80d

This is a strange one.

My recently purchased Canon 80d BOX somehow managed to pickup a placed sticky piece of velcro that PERFECTLY placed itself over the serial number: partially obscuring the serial number. I placed it my big green costco bag that uses said velcro and one of the sticky buggers wiggled off.

What are the odds? I tried removing it but the sticky velcro stuff started tearing away the cardboard.

I took the photo below.

Now this cardboard is a rather crucial part to my rebate submission (to confirm serial/model number): should I just leave it on and write note explaining what happened (which I'm still not really sure how the heck this occurred). I have the serial number info but I'm gleaning that from the camera itself since the velcro actually covers about half of the serial number. I'm wondering if there will be a problem with the rebate folks....

Not sure what to do here...geeze.

May 05, 2016 at 04:40 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · An unusual Canon rebate question: 80d

Personally I'd just leave the little piece of velcro on. It would be helpful if your receipt also shows the same S/N. Just follow the instructions to the letter like cutting all the way thru the cardboard box etc.

May 05, 2016 at 06:02 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · An unusual Canon rebate question: 80d

You could also try heating it up with a hair dryer. If you melt/ soften the glue, you can probably get the solid piece off. I would try to lift straight off- maybe with needle nose pliers or similar?

It is likely that the glue will remain. Maybe put a small piece of clear plastic "wrap" over it? Then they should be able to read it with no problems.

I have had excellent luck with Canon's rebates. But you don't want to give them a reason to deny one, because they can't read the serial number.

Good luck!

May 05, 2016 at 08:12 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · An unusual Canon rebate question: 80d

+1 on the hairdryer.

When lifting the Velcro start at it's corner or edge that is in the more central area of Canon barcode sticker making the operation less likely to start the tearing off of the surface of the sticker.

May the (pealing) force be with you!

May 06, 2016 at 12:34 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · An unusual Canon rebate question: 80d

hairdryer at high setting & sharp-edge thin razor or knife blade to lift and peel

May 06, 2016 at 02:25 AM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · An unusual Canon rebate question: 80d

I would just cut it out and send in as is.

May 06, 2016 at 10:08 AM
campy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · An unusual Canon rebate question: 80d

Take a picture and send it to Canon sales support and ask for their advice so you have a record and will be much easier to get the rebate if it gets rejected. I don't think Canon processes their own rebates, it's usually done by a outside company.

May 07, 2016 at 02:39 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · An unusual Canon rebate question: 80d

+1 @ ask Canon.

May 08, 2016 at 07:34 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.