Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

RSHPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

Hey all. Wanted to give my quick impressions of the Nikon D500 that I borrowed from a photographer friend this morning. The couple wanted a early morning countryside shoot. Unfortunately they did not want the images to be shared.

Anyway, here's what I think: I haven't shot DX on a shoot in ages. My Nikon d7000 is sitting in my bag as backup for the last 3 years. So it was a bit odd getting used to the smaller viewfinder.

Camera feels great in hands. No one is going to complain about this. Feels light but professional calibre. Feels better to me than the d750.

The new ISO button location is perfect. I was dealing with changing lighting conditions. I took a few 12800 shots and in the back of the lcd, looked great. Haven't popped the pics on my iMac yet.

Auto focus and burst. Simply phenomenal. This is easily - bar none, the best auto focusing camera I have ever used. Better than d4s. Haven't tried d5.
Early morning changing conditions with light peering through. It nailed it all. The couple wanted to do a running Montage through the field. It was spot on on the lcd when I went back to my car and looked thorough them. Let's say. If you miss a shot, it's your fault.

I normally shoot with a battery grip but I didn't miss it because I used light lenses: Nikon 17-55 2.8 and nikon 85mm 1.8

The back lit button, the quick touch lcd. Great job. Not sure how I feel about the screen flexibility. I prefer it to be fixed.

All in all, this camera redefines DX for me. It is virtually perfect in every way. If the screen was fixed, it would be perfect. I didn't use any WiFi stuff but I'm sure it's nice.

Honestly, I would choose this camera over my d3s and my d700. It's that good.

I think Nikon created a monster for sports and event photographers at a price that's a great entry for someone looking for flagship FX performance in a more affordable package.
I commented yesterday that I am waiting for the price to drop on this camera. But honestly the auto focusing, the quality of images make this a must have for the wedding shooter. It's worth every damn penny Nikon is asking for.

I'm going to order one from my local Henry's store as soon as they get some in.

May 05, 2016 at 10:47 AM
pette87
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

add a 18/35 and 50/100 1.8 sigma and you're good to go.

May 06, 2016 at 12:47 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

The 7DmkII is also great, in this arena. Nothing like a 135L being a 200mm ƒ2 that's lightweight with whip snap AF

May 06, 2016 at 12:55 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

Would love your thoughts after you take a look at the photos on your computer. I'm thinking of getting one and pairing it with a 24-70 for essentially a 36-105 field of view.

May 06, 2016 at 05:06 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

^ what all our 2nd shooters use » 24-70L II on a 7DmkII

May 06, 2016 at 06:57 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

I view the D500 as the perfect APS-C camera for either the D750 or D810 full frame cameras. What most people have missed in commenting about the camera is that it has the quietest shutter of any Nikon camera and on par with that of the D810. If you shoot ceremonies in churches it is a big deal to have a shutter this quiet.

With my other cameras there are times when I do not take shots as the shutter noise would intrude too much. No such worries with the D500 and D810 cameras.

For dimly lit receptions my choice is the D750 for full frame shots as its autofocus is much better in such conditions than that of the D810. It is also my backup for the other two primary cameras.

Nothing matches the D810 with the 14-24mm and 24-70mm lenses and I find the crop camera is perfect to extend the reach of the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens or for an ultralight setup with a 20mm f1.4 prime lens during the dancing.

May 13, 2016 at 04:18 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

Wanted to give you guys an update as I worked on the files last night.

I have virtually no experience with the D750 so I can't compare. I had a D700 and D3s that are my work hoses so I will compare.

The D500 smokes the D700, it's not close. The detail and noise is beyond the D3 sensor. DX has moved past this sensor. It is sharper, more details.

D3s, I have no problems using 12,800 shots. The D500 is very close here. I think they're neck and neck and that says a lot about the D500. My D500 12800 shots look beautiful with minimal noise processing.

One thing I will say, the running montage sequence that I burst shot with group AF on continuous - 22 out of 24 shots are in focus. My D3s would've nailed maybe 5-6 in that light. As I said, this is the best autofocus I've ever experienced.

I would not hesitate for one second to use this for a wedding. In fact, I think I'm going to rent one when it's available for renting in my local store.

Nikon has so many affordable FX options for wedding shooters that the D700, D3, 610 and 750 may take away from this fantastic DX body.

I just want to re-iterate again just how GOOD the body felt in hand. The grip material and overall grip is just fantastic. This is not a camera you get tired of holding. I missed it after I gave it back.

For the portraits, I think I prefer a prime with FX for the look, but for everything else, the D500 is simply perfect.

May 17, 2016 at 10:31 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

This is really good to read. From the specs when it was released, I suspected that the D500 could be a pretty badass wedding camera and it is great to hear that it really performed.

As someone who shoots both FX & DX bodies for all of my work, I think getting over the stigma of a slightly smaller sensor is the first step to appreciating how the camera performs. The additional depth of field can really be useful at some times of the day as well.

One shortcoming that is not to be overlooked is lens selection. Nikon has a handful of dedicated DX lenses. The 35 f/1.8G DX is a no brainer and there are some third party f/2.8 & 1.8 zooms that work well and give good image quality. Of course you can use your existing stable of FX lenses, but many tend to loose some of their "magic" around the edges, the areas not covered by a smaller sensor. This may be polarizing, but my 35/50/85/105 primes are completely different beasts on FX versus DX. If you shoot stopped down often or don't like any vignetting on your lenses or want completely sharp crisp image from center to the corners, then you'll feel the opposite about using only the sweet spot of the larger glass.

The D500 looks like a pretty stacked camera. I'm excited to try one out sometime.

May 17, 2016 at 10:57 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

BSPhotog wrote:
This is really good to read. From the specs when it was released, I suspected that the D500 could be a pretty badass wedding camera and it is great to hear that it really performed.

As someone who shoots both FX & DX bodies for all of my work, I think getting over the stigma of a slightly smaller sensor is the first step to appreciating how the camera performs. The additional depth of field can really be useful at some times of the day as well.

One shortcoming that is not to be overlooked is lens selection. Nikon has
...Show more

The D500 is also likely going to be Nikon last DX flagship camera for at least the next 5-6 years. Who knows what happens then. So it's stacked probably for that reason.

The specs look outstanding now, but it won't in the next few years when the D6, D900 hits the market. That's life.

Right now, it is a near perfect camera. I take good care of my cameras, but I would be worried about the moving LCD getting caught in something and snapping off. The fact that we've never heard of anyone doing this with the d750 tells me I'm shortchanging how strong it really is.

Again, and I'm going to beat this like a dead horse. The feel you get when holding this camera is PERFECTION. This is easily, not even close, the best feeling non-gripped Nikon body ever made. Period. End thread, no room for discussion. lol.

All the buttons are exactly where you want it to be. Everything feels solid and robust. This is a pro spec camera and it's decisions like this that make me continue to shoot Nikon.

As far as lens. The 10-24 DX is awesome for weddings for those group moments and venue shots. I would follow that up with the Sigma 18-50 1.8.

If I was shooting D500 x 2, one would have the Sigma 18-50 and the other would have the 85mm 1.8 for my telephoto needs.

I think the low light abilities of this camera and that Sigma 1.8 constant aperture 18-50 is going to be a killer wedding combo.

May 17, 2016 at 12:38 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

I haven't snapped off the D750 LCD, but it's the only one I've ever cracked.

May 17, 2016 at 01:10 PM
MrGubrz
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

pette87 wrote:
add a 18/35 and 50/100 1.8 sigma and you're good to go.

played with this combo at a photo expo at local camera store with all the brand reps there with gear goodies laid out on counters.

wow... ridiculously fast
i was going from close focus at the top of an aisle, to infinity focus out the window (so barely had to raise and lower the camera to go from one to the other) and could not get anything other than instant focus. i cant imagine having an out of focus photo with that combo (50-100, didnt try 18-35)

almost ordered 2, one for each sigma zoom... and done. but talked myself out of it as i feel it would be difficult getting second shooter gigs saying you have a crop sensor camera. we have people who spaz out if you use a 6d instead of a 5d3, or a d750 instead of a d810.. so... *eyeroll*

May 20, 2016 at 02:52 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

MrGubrz wrote:
...it would be difficult getting second shooter gigs saying you have a crop sensor camera. we have people who spaz out if you use a 6d instead of a 5d3, or a d750 instead of a d810.. so... *eyeroll*

Well that is just silly.

May 20, 2016 at 10:09 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

As I've said before, I think a hot APS-C body and a modern 24-70 is thee 2nd shooter set-up. 35~110 is a perfect range.

I've handed a 7D2 and 24-70L II combo to people who don't shoot often and they always come back with good stuff.

May 20, 2016 at 12:09 PM
MrGubrz
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

if i was solo shooting, id use the 50-100/1.8 on FF and just do the minimal cropping needed on shots where the framing is bright and thus the corner darkening is actually bothersome. 50-100/1.8 for ff... so lovely!

May 22, 2016 at 12:49 AM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

I'm a Canon guy through and through, but everything I have seen online so far from the D500 has me really thinking about adding it to my kit.

May 27, 2016 at 04:17 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon D500 Engagement Shoot Impressions.

Vancouver47 wrote:
I'm a Canon guy through and through, but everything I have seen online so far from the D500 has me really thinking about adding it to my kit.

As a fellow Canadian it's my duty to warn you. Once you get used to the D500 layout, the flexibility of the high ISO raws, you won't be going back to Canon.

Heed carefully.

May 27, 2016 at 08:12 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.