FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Camera backpack with side access

howard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera backpack with side access

Hi,

My eternal search for the perfect backpack continues ...

I in fact may have asked the same question on this forum before, and indeed I bought one, the Tamrac Mirage 6, which has side-access. This is a good bag, except it is a little small. Now my wife uses it with her Sony A6000 kit.

So, for myself, I need a backpack. I like the side-access feature as I can take out/in the camera without having to take off the backpack.

Mainly I will be using it for a FF DSLR, such as the Canon EOS 5DII, with a medium-range zoom attached, such as the 24-70 f/4 or 24-105 f/4, plus 1 or 2 lenses, flash and accessories. It has to be able to carry a tripod.

Nice to have feature: room to store water bottle & food.

Now my choices are down to:

Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW II

F-Stop Kenti

What do you think? Are there any other choices you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.

May 05, 2016 at 06:52 AM
jaehoppa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera backpack with side access

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/937878-REG/sony_lcsbp3_lcs_bp3_backpack_for_dslrs_nex.html

This is my favorite DSLR backpack. I know it says Sony but who cares.
It's well padded, has chest and waist straps, rain cover built-in, tripod strap, water bottle net, plenty of space for camera and lenses. I think it looks better than most of the other backpacks too.

May 05, 2016 at 07:52 AM
howard
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera backpack with side access

jaehoppa wrote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/937878-REG/sony_lcsbp3_lcs_bp3_backpack_for_dslrs_nex.html

This is my favorite DSLR backpack. I know it says Sony but who cares.
It's well padded, has chest and waist straps, rain cover built-in, tripod strap, water bottle net, plenty of space for camera and lenses. I think it looks better than most of the other backpacks too.

Thanks. Does this have side-access?

May 05, 2016 at 08:13 AM
jaehoppa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera backpack with side access

howard wrote:
Thanks. Does this have side-access?

yes it does as you can see in the 5th picture.

May 05, 2016 at 08:15 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera backpack with side access

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1428300

May 05, 2016 at 09:46 AM
hampchamp
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera backpack with side access

Check out the Low-Pro AW 400, has waist belt and chest belt, access from the back., just undo the chest harness and swing the pack around to the front for easy access. I have a canon 5D MK3 with 24-105 attached, 100-400, 1.4 x converter and room for one or two more lenses.It also has 2 net pockets on the out side and a trip[pod strap, also has a zippered pouch on the outside for more stuff plus a built in rain cover.

May 05, 2016 at 09:58 AM
Pguts
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera backpack with side access

I use to have the Sony backpack and absolutely loved it. Can easily sling it across your shoulder and be able to access your camera quickly with the side slot.

It would be able to carry the gear you want it to. For long hikes it is so-so on the shoulders, talking about 15-20 mile hikes. There is padding on it but can get to your shoulders if carrying a bit of weight and it pulling down on you. Thought I'd share that bit of info.

May 05, 2016 at 10:11 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera backpack with side access

I have and use the Kenti with a light setup - light meaning D800E with either a 24-70 or 24-120/4 mounted, 70-200/2.8, Zeiss 100/2 and either a Sigma 34/1.4 or 14-24. It handles that, along with an SB-900 flash, iPad, and a tripod. I love the setup. The pack itself handles well, the side openings are easy to access as well as easy to secure for use in urban shoots. Solid pack.

Peace,

Todd

May 05, 2016 at 04:07 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera backpack with side access

Todd Warnke wrote:
I have and use the Kenti with a light setup - light meaning D800E with either a 24-70 or 24-120/4 mounted, 70-200/2.8, Zeiss 100/2 and either a Sigma 34/1.4 or 14-24. It handles that, along with an SB-900 flash, iPad, and a tripod. I love the setup. The pack itself handles well, the side openings are easy to access as well as easy to secure for use in urban shoots. Solid pack.

Peace,

Todd

The only thing I don't like about the Kenti is -- the price! It's twice as much as the Sony or Lowepro.

May 05, 2016 at 04:47 PM
Doug C
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera backpack with side access

Look for the Clik Elite Contrejour 35 and 40 backpacks. I have the 40 and can fit a 7D2 with a 100-400 zoom attached in the side access hatch. It is a very well made bag!

May 05, 2016 at 06:06 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera backpack with side access

I too have the Kenti. There are plenty of review videos out there. Do you have any questions?

May 05, 2016 at 06:10 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera backpack with side access

Dj R wrote:
I too have the Kenti. There are plenty of review videos out there. Do you have any questions?

No, I don't. Thanks. It is a little too pricey for me.

May 05, 2016 at 07:10 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera backpack with side access

The Kenti is on sale for $101.40 right now.

Peace,

Todd

May 05, 2016 at 07:34 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera backpack with side access

The Kenti is listed in their 'Clearance' area.

Soon to be discontinued I assume?

May 05, 2016 at 08:42 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camera backpack with side access

Todd Warnke wrote:

Peace,

Todd

Sorry, you are right, I got your message mixed up with the one about Clik Elite Contrejour which is twice as much.

I did some research, for the Kenti, if you carry a tripod, it will block the side access, unless you buy an accessory, I believe.

May 05, 2016 at 08:44 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Camera backpack with side access

I think after much research and forum reading, I may get the Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW II after all.

The Sony and F-Stop are in the same price range, and are well made. But I think that the Lowepro is better designed for carrying tripods -- the other two can carry tripods too, but the Sony is lacking a bottom holder, I believe, and the F-Stop is missing the bottom holder and will block side access (unless you get an additional accessory).

Thanks for the input.

May 05, 2016 at 08:52 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Camera backpack with side access

Your call - but I carry my tripod on the center of the pack without issues. This leaves both side access slots open.

Peace,

Todd

May 05, 2016 at 10:05 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Camera backpack with side access

Todd Warnke wrote:

Peace,

Todd

I got one at this price too
I think it's a decent price for a nice bag.

May 06, 2016 at 07:29 AM
jaehoppa
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Camera backpack with side access

howard wrote:
I think after much research and forum reading, I may get the Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW II after all.

The Sony and F-Stop are in the same price range, and are well made. But I think that the Lowepro is better designed for carrying tripods -- the other two can carry tripods too, but the Sony is lacking a bottom holder, I believe, and the F-Stop is missing the bottom holder and will block side access (unless you get an additional accessory).

Thanks for the input.

the sony has a small pouch on the side where you can stick one leg of the tripod in.

May 06, 2016 at 07:01 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Camera backpack with side access

Get the Kenti while you can if you're interested...................

Thank you for your interest & inquiry.

The Kenti was actually already discontinued. We are just selling what remains of the stocks & then it will be gone for good. There has not been an successor pack announced yet.

Kind regards,
Mirko T.
Customer Service
USA/EMEA Sales Support // f-stop
E: [email protected] | W: fstopgear.com

Note that I actually used their 'online' chat and someone else said 'we have no information as to whether it's discontinued' and I said 'you're the manufacturer, what do you mean you dont know'? Then he said it wasn't discontinued. So I'm sure they are discontinued but this is an great example of them not knowing which end is up.

May 07, 2016 at 11:51 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.