New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Need recommendations for Oahu Hawaii

OceanView
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need recommendations for Oahu Hawaii

First time going to Oahu and wanted to get some recommendations on where/what to photograph while I'm there.
I would like to shoot mostly landscape and sunset photos weather permitting.

I'll be there for a week so any recommendations would be appreciated.

May 04, 2016 at 04:55 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need recommendations for Oahu Hawaii

north shore - also diamond head.

May 05, 2016 at 01:20 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need recommendations for Oahu Hawaii

I stay at and prefer the North Shore. For sunset, I like Sunset beach and turtle bay. For sunrise, Lanikai beach. Be prepared for traffic to get there. I spent some time shooting Valley of the Temples. For some additional info, there are many sites to review. Here is one for your review. http://improvephotography.com/10094/top-15-photo-locations-in-oahu-hawaii-voted-by-local-photographers/

Cheers, Steve

May 05, 2016 at 02:19 PM
OceanView
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need recommendations for Oahu Hawaii

Thanks for the link Steve.
Looks like a lot of great spots to shoot.
I'm contemplating taking long lenses as I don't want to carry a lot with me but I'm tempted to take some good surfing shots when I go to North Shore.

For now, I'm planning on taking the following Canon lenses:
16-35mm f4,
24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8

I know I'll need 400mm + to get any surfing shots so I'll pass on that for now. Will I regret not taking it?

May 05, 2016 at 07:15 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need recommendations for Oahu Hawaii

It all depends on how much you want to get surfing shots. I go every year for the surfing competitions in December. I don't know when you are going, but you can get closer to the action at pipeline than sunset. You might want to consider taking a 100-400 instead of the 70-200. Same weight, but more versatility. When I go to Hawaii in the summer for landscape (different Islands) I take my 16-35f4, 24-105 or 24-70f2.8v2 and my 70-200f4is. Makes for a nice lightweight kit. If for whatever reason I think I may need more reach, I leave my 70-200 at home and take the 1-4. The other option is to take TC's.
Cheers, Steve

May 05, 2016 at 09:19 PM
CreatorsPixels

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need recommendations for Oahu Hawaii

Anyone been to Laniakea beach for the turtles? Any tips to shoot them?

May 12, 2016 at 07:52 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need recommendations for Oahu Hawaii

Been there. Unfortunately, they bring buses with tourists there and it is usually crowded. In my opinion, the best time to shoot there is dusk and dawn. While shooting in Hawaii, always have a CP with your gear. There are many more secluded beaches to see turtles. Always try to respect them. Just a tip. There are plenty of turtles and less people just west of Haleiwa beach park.

Cheers, Steve

May 12, 2016 at 09:36 PM
CreatorsPixels

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need recommendations for Oahu Hawaii

Steve, thanks for the tips! I'll try to make some early trips and see if I can't hit Haleiwa! I would prefer to avoid people, I just like critters. Thanks!!

May 19, 2016 at 09:12 PM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need recommendations for Oahu Hawaii

different suggestion. USS Missouri. See if you can get the guided tour. USS Arizona memorial is nearby. I found it quite moving.

May 20, 2016 at 09:37 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.