Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Where's the Aerial Cam (Drone) category....

Chris Joyce
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where's the Aerial Cam (Drone) category....

Can't find a category for aerial shots.... landscape maybe.

May 04, 2016 at 03:13 PM
ShutterbugJ
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where's the Aerial Cam (Drone) category....

Definitely weddings.

May 04, 2016 at 10:21 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where's the Aerial Cam (Drone) category....

Been thinking very seriously of getting a Drone recently. A number of people have approached me thinking Automatically I would have one.

There are a couple of things in new technology I am interested in as they open new potential markets that replace a lot of traditional ones that have dried up.
Some of the old school ways are still viable and effective and some is long dead and buried.

This would definitely be a tool not a toy. I think I'd be on tin tacks the whole time I was flying the thing for the fear of loosing it. That would not be fun and I'd be wanting to be making a quid from the thing for the stress and risk.

They also seem like a whole nee learning curve, even from the POV of what features I'd want and which one to get in the first place.

I am hearing more and more reports of them being used for weddings here both for stills and video. I also see a lot of commercial applications however i don't think there would be any shortage of people offering the services of one of these things either.

May 05, 2016 at 01:17 AM
alpinekiwi
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where's the Aerial Cam (Drone) category....

I recently purchased a drone (DJI Phantom 4).

I am no filmer, but I've had some fun with it so far:

I have been using it more and more for just photos though and I think this is where I want to go with it.

As for weddings, I did bring it to my latest wedding. Weddings can be too hectic to use new tools like this, but I managed to grab a couple aerial shots of the venue (it was a mountain restaurant in Chamonix region) and I even tried that all-too-tacky shot of guests forming a heart around the couple, but from a different perspective (it didn't work out that great, but there is scope for this idea...)

I also used it for an engagement shoot recently. We went up to a mountain lake and I flew out over the lake and managed a shot of the couple which I would not have been able to get without the drone.

All in all, it's a tool that I am happy to have and I wish to practice more with and refine a bit. I think it has a lot of potential and if I can get it to a point where I am getting that special shot that others aren't then it may keep me ahead of the pack. Isn't that what we all want?

May 05, 2016 at 02:32 AM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where's the Aerial Cam (Drone) category....

I have a commercial licence to fly drones. And I have three. But recently I've been so busy with other stuff I've hardly had them in the air, let alone made money off them.

Licencing in Oz is changing. Commercial use for small drones (sub 2kg) will be easy and not require licencing but you won't be able to fly my S900 (w' A7R hanging from it) without an RPAS licence and operators certificate.

Getting that part of my business finalised is a major part of my goals for 2016.

To use one at a wedding is not as easy as just charging the batteries. There are laws in place and fines to match if you ignore them. You'd need to inform and have the OK from EVERYONE you're within 30 meters of when in the air. A lot of people aren't doing the right thing and it's only so long until someone drops one into a crowd. My S900 would almost certainly kill you if it fell out of the sky.

Gordon

May 05, 2016 at 02:43 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where's the Aerial Cam (Drone) category....

Not many requests here for that service (in fact, none ), though a friend of mine has all the certifications and licences required and ready to receive a phone call from me, but for what he explained me, the service is very limited for the restrictions !

May 05, 2016 at 04:51 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where's the Aerial Cam (Drone) category....

If you are using them in the US to make money you will need a Section 333 exemption from the FAA. Part of the requirements for that is that the person flying the drone must be a pilot. If you are a pilot then you must fly the drone at least 500' away from anyone NOT part of your photoshoot. That should change later this year as the FAA is working on a new set of guidelines. Having a drone category at FM would be a great place for the FAA to check out who is using drones to make money and then following up to see if they are legal or not.

May 05, 2016 at 06:11 AM
Chris Joyce
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where's the Aerial Cam (Drone) category....

Based on my experience, aerial shots are like fisheyes. One is REALLY cool. Two is too many. We always call the local ATCT to get flight approval, but things are changing in the US. Besides the fact of there are too many to govern, those who follow the rules, get insurance, etc. are never going to be a good cost alternative to NoCost Danny Drone. They are just too much fun. We use the DJI products.

Sooo, about that category, We Need It! Too much activity with no representation. I figured it would most likely appear here in Event Photography.

A good person to follow who keeps serious tabs on the industry is Jeff Foster (google him). It was his guidance and knowledge that really turned on some lights as to how far UAS has come in an extremely short time. It blows away the film to digital curve, and I thought that was effing fast.

Category should be broad in scope until there is enough activity to segregate. I would simply make it AERIAL. How you get it up in the air is your business.
Chris

Edited on May 05, 2016 at 09:10 AM · View previous versions

May 05, 2016 at 09:06 AM
Chris Joyce
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where's the Aerial Cam (Drone) category....

ShutterbugJ wrote:
Definitely weddings.

??

May 05, 2016 at 09:08 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.