Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

GOVA
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

My vote for FastStone ImageViewer (FREE).

It wins for me as it creates local DB(cache) of images to deal with subsequent reads quicker.

May 05, 2016 at 02:15 PM
mogud
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

dhphoto wrote:
I use BB Pro to check, cull, rename and tag photos, make web galleries, make web sized proofs, print contact sheets, watermark, add copyright info to the Exif, all sorts of things. It's very versatile.

+1

Great software!

May 06, 2016 at 10:08 AM
walts.photo
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

BBPro doesn't seem to convert my Sony RX100m3 files.

May 06, 2016 at 08:04 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

walts.photo wrote:
BBPro doesn't seem to convert my Sony RX100m3 files.

One thing BB doesn't do well is RAW converting. Very basic.

May 07, 2016 at 05:53 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Any of these raw viewer able to use the calibrated profile of the monitor?
Yes, I know that a raw file isn't really in a color space, but the faststone app is ugly oversatured w/ jpgs and tiffs.

May 07, 2016 at 08:44 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Photmecanic is really fast, fastrawviewer is not bad too.

May 07, 2016 at 08:45 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Faststone, Zoner, Geeqie, Nomacs, and Breeze Browser show a wierd color cast when displaying some .psd files. Photomechanic is the only one of them that shows the correct color. FastRawViewer won't even show .psd files (nor tiff, or anything but camera raw files).

There are some good features of all of them, but because of this color issue, Photomechanic is the obvious choice.

May 08, 2016 at 10:49 AM
walts.photo
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Maybe I spoke too soon. Photomechanic is currently bogged down for some reason. So far, my choice is none of the above. I'm stuck with Adobe for the time being.

Maybe its time to revisit the free ones, Xnview, irfanview....

May 08, 2016 at 02:30 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

walts.photo wrote:
Maybe I spoke too soon. Photomechanic is currently bogged down for some reason. So far, my choice is none of the above. I'm stuck with Adobe for the time being.

Maybe its time to revisit the free ones, Xnview, irfanview....

Try Faststone first

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

May 09, 2016 at 01:02 AM
walts.photo
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

I had all 4 running side by side, Faststone, Zoner, Breeze, and Photomechanic. Only Photomechanic showed correct color for .psd files. Maybe there is a setting on the others that changes this, but it would largely tip the balance in making a decision. BTW, my monitor is color calibrated and Lightroom/Bridge/PS CC all show the correct color as well.

The specific color cast was a dull greenish, especially visible on skin tones in .psd files. Photomechanic has a button that turns color management on or off. If I turn it off, then this green cast appears in Photomechanic as well.

Looks like color management is a separate setting that you have to turn on in some of these viewers. For example XNview also showed this color cast. I had to go into Options (F12) and go to color management and select the .icc profile that I had made using my monitor calibration. Lo- and behold, the colors now look correct.

I realize that my initial requirement was to cull raw images in the field. But, since I take so many bracketed photos, many of my "field" photos end up as tiffs or .psd files. So, viewing them side by side with raws is valuable.

Now that I realize I have to add color correction to the software, I'll have to re-evaluate them.

Edited on May 09, 2016 at 12:28 PM · View previous versions

May 09, 2016 at 09:57 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Again, not sure of your OS, but One110.5 (stupid name, often useful product) has announced a RAW import and converter for this "Fall." I use several of their modules, so this sounds promising. Also On1 can run freestanding or as a plugin. I believe they are moving or have moved to a Window's version.

Robert

May 09, 2016 at 10:23 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

OntheRez wrote:
Again, not sure of your OS, but One110.5 (stupid name, often useful product)

Actually, the name of the company is On1. The name of the product is Photo 10.5.

May 09, 2016 at 12:10 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

DanBrown wrote:
Actually, the name of the company is On1. The name of the product is Photo 10.5.

Yeah, you're right. Had to go look at the program. Tried to run together On1 and 10.5. Obviously didn't do a good job

Thx

May 09, 2016 at 02:59 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

buggz2k wrote:
Any of these raw viewer able to use the calibrated profile of the monitor?
Yes, I know that a raw file isn't really in a color space, but the faststone app is ugly oversatured w/ jpgs and tiffs.

XNview was able to accept my custom XRite color munki monitor profile. Thats what corrected the green color cast on skin tones with .psd files.

I'm going to continue playing with XNview. I just viewed and converted a bunch of D500 raw files to tiffs with it. Previews are quick. It accepts custom color calibrations. It runs on linux, mac, and windows. It just isn't raw specific, with the 64,000 level histograms, and what-not.

May 11, 2016 at 11:02 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.