Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

walts.photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Sometimes I just want to take a look at a raw image but don't feel like spending the time opening Lightroom or Photoshop. Is there a decent viewer that lets you quickly view a bunch of raw files?

It would be nice to also cull photos that you'd just end up deleting once they got into Lightroom.

Linux usage would be a plus, but I'm not holding my breath.

May 04, 2016 at 10:55 AM
FStrikwerda

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Well, my Windows 10 PC can read my Canon 6D raw files.
But I always load everything in LR and start from there. Quick and reliable.

May 04, 2016 at 11:12 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Don't know your platform, but in the Mac OS, Preview will open any file that the system has a profile for. (Apple always lags a bit in adding new interpreters for new cameras, but normally not real bad. In the words the OS does the RAW conversion.) I've never tired to open more than a couple of dozen at a time. Been so long since I had to futz with Windows that I don't really know how that OS works. I've helped a friend or two with some sort of system viewing program, but their pix were all JPEG which virtually anything can open. Canon's DPP has a fair viewer though I don't use it. (Only for Canon formats of course.)

The absolute king is PhotoMechanic. I've used it and if you are handling lots of files on tight deadlines, it should be looked at. I used it for awhile and found - at least in my current business - it was overkill for what I now needed. There are probably more viewers out there. I know a couple of a couple more for the Mac. Others can speak up on the ones I don't know.

Robert

Re-read you post. I used to use LINUX exclusively for work (mostly statistical analysis) but frankly am now way out of it. Keep toying with partitioning for it, but well - these days I just want the computer to work without me having to tweak it fairly constantly.

May 04, 2016 at 11:17 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

other than those, look into fastrawviewer or xnview

May 04, 2016 at 12:00 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

infranview works well on my 4K monitor with Canon raw files.
I had troubles with a good viewer on a 4K until I found it.

http://www.irfanview.com/

May 04, 2016 at 12:05 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

not technically a RAW viewer but there is an app called INSTANT JPEG FROM RAW that will strip the jpeg from the raw (full res) which will let you quickly view the images . if you delete the ones you don't like then you could delete the raw files that don't have a corresponding JPEG next to them in the folder .

but if its a viewer and culling program your after for more regular use then something like Breeze Browser or Photo Mechanic may be worth looking at

May 04, 2016 at 01:00 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Faststone ImageViewer will let you look at raw files quickly and easily.

May 04, 2016 at 04:49 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Here are the ones that appeal to me so far. I guess the free trial will reveal which one is the best:

http://www.fastrawviewer.com/
http://www.rawdigger.com/
http://www.camerabits.com/learn-more/ ie photomechanic
https://www.zoner.com/

and maybe:
http://www.faststone.org/index.htm

I've also got to check out queegie, since it runs on linux:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/geeqie/

I've had lots of early experience with xnview and irfanview, as well as picasa. Loved them, but think I need a little more of something more polished to be used for various camera raw formats.

I like the idea that something like rawdigger might reveal some hidden secrets in raw files that I normally would not get (like shutter activations, true 14 bit histogram, and other things not reported by Adobe).

May 04, 2016 at 06:26 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

I should probably also mention that Faststone Image Viewer will also let you do some moderate editing to a raw file.

May 04, 2016 at 08:35 PM
DonM2
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

walts.photo

If your system in question is using any versiion of MS Windows from 7 on up and have the matching MS codec for RAW files for that version, you're in business. Without all the diddling with above-mentioned third-party apps.

I have RAW files from a bunch of Canon and Nikon bods from 'flagship' models on down that I can review in Windows Picture Viewer almost as fast as pushing the 'arrow' key for the next pic from a series I've highlighted in a basic hard-drive folder.

Yes, I use Lightroom and PhotoShop and several other useful apps for editing. But like you, I find it a big 'nag' to have to light up a full-blown edit app to quickly cull thru a series of pix for further work!

DonM2

May 04, 2016 at 10:05 PM
DonM2
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

walts.photo

Sorry, forgot to say the CODECs mentioned above come from Microsoft itself.

Have fun!

DonM2

May 04, 2016 at 10:09 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

DPP - Quick Check - Full Screen

May 04, 2016 at 10:29 PM
wtlloyd
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

BreezeBrowser, Photomechanic

May 05, 2016 at 12:46 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

ACDSee isn't bad

May 05, 2016 at 04:05 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Not sure if the OP is on PC or Mac but for PC Faststone Image viewer is good and free, Breezebrowser Pro is very useful (to me) and costs a little, but not much.

May 05, 2016 at 10:14 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

I also use BreezeBrowser Pro to review and cull RAW files. It's very quick to load and can do minor file management. One of it's best fearure is that it can display focus points like DPP. Not free but very worth the $70.

May 05, 2016 at 10:29 AM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

If you have Lightroom and Photoshop, how about Bridge?

May 05, 2016 at 10:54 AM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

pr4photos wrote:
ACDSee isn't bad

I forgot to mention that I had fun with ACDSee once upon a time. Seemed to suffer from a bit of bloat, but haven't tried it recently.

I just tried Geeqie on linux Mint. Snappy and lean viewer similar to Nomacs.

Edited on May 05, 2016 at 12:28 PM · View previous versions

May 05, 2016 at 11:19 AM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

Ryukyu wrote:
If you have Lightroom and Photoshop, how about Bridge?

I did use Bridge for a while. Certainly fast for impromptu viewing. It seemed to build a lot of preview(database?) structure. Not sure if it lagged or got bogged down because of that, but I remember thinking that I might as well just jump into Lightroom.

One constraint / reason I didn't mention is that I've got three computers, one of which doesn't use the active Adobe subscription but would get used in the field for rapid culling and previews. So, I figured that is where this quick raw browser would reside.

May 05, 2016 at 11:27 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Raw viewer when you don't want to open Lightroom?

mogud wrote:
I also use BreezeBrowser Pro to review and cull RAW files. It's very quick to load and can do minor file management. One of it's best fearure is that it can display focus points like DPP. Not free but very worth the $70.

I use BB Pro to check, cull, rename and tag photos, make web galleries, make web sized proofs, print contact sheets, watermark, add copyright info to the Exif, all sorts of things. It's very versatile.

May 05, 2016 at 01:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.