Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2016 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

ElmerD

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Thank you for this info/explanation. I've been shooting M for the past year, then i switched from Sony to Nikon D500 and wasn't sure how to work the new system with my old habits. I'll get back to M-mode then.

Mar 01, 2017 at 01:30 PM
ElmerD

p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Perfect, that's what I'd been shooting in M-mode + Auto-ISO (which i now limit to max of 3200). This D500 is new to me (only my 2nd week with it). Thank you for this feedback.

Mar 01, 2017 at 01:32 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

I would recommend against M with Auto-ISO. It is no different than using Av or Tv. The camera will still change the subject exposure based on the size of the subject in the frame and the colour of the background. The only way to get consistent good exposures is to set all three variables yourself using a couple test frames and checking the histogram....then you can set it and forget it if the light stays constant.

As I mentioned in my previous post there are situations when using Auto-ISO or Av/Tv can be useful but I probably use those 1% of the time.

Mar 01, 2017 at 02:10 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

One of the most useful thread topics I've seen. Appreciate all the contributions.

I have set up my own as kind of a hybrid between Steve's and Thang's.

I keep my own shutter default on AF-C 3D Tracking (because it can't be added as a custom).

AF-ON = Single-Point Focus
FN1 = Group
PV = D25
FN2 = 3D/facial rec.

AF blocked @ 2
Focus Track @ Erratic

Thanks for all the input.

Apr 08, 2017 at 02:49 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Long time Canon user here that finally decided to give the D500 + 200-500 combo a while. I never had any intention of getting the 7D2 and was ready to pull the trigger on the D500 several times over the last year but stopped at the last second. This time a great eBay sale came out where I got wicked good prices for both camera and lens, equalling US prices despite our Aussie dollar being over 30% weaker.

Anyhow, after reading this thread I've adopted something similar to Thang's settings but maybe a little different. I have the following:

a3: blocked response 4 or 5 (still testing)
a8: AF-ON only

I have 4 options for different AF modes
AF-ON set to group
Pv set to AF-ON + area mode d25
Joystick centre push set to AF-ON + single point
Fn1 set to AF-ON + area mode 3D tracking or d72
I wish though they had a second dedicated button aligned horizontally with AF-ON to the left that could be used for AF, as stub makes it easy to move focus point(s) unless you set focus dial to L, but I'd rather not lock that as somethimes you want to quickly move focus points.

I've also set release + focus rather than focus + release or release. Don't trust any camera enough yet to allow it to take photos without confirmed focus, but I do want it to start taking photos immediately I press the shutter. I'm not worried if frame rate slows as I'd rather focus shots at 5fps than oof at 10fps. Maybe as I improve I'll trust it enough to go to focus + release.

Only had the camera a week and only been outside with it once for a bit of birding. Really like the IQ of the camera and nice to have a sensor without an AA filter, the feather detail when you nail focus is excellent and no moire so-far. Loving the camera but it's not as easy to set up the custom/photo modes as on Canon and I find it bizarre a whole mode button is wasted for qual, something I've never changed in my life, once set to RAW. I wish we had a fw update that not only fixes behaviour of dynamic modes but allows us to use qual button to choose different custom settings. I know you can do this with the fn2 button + dial, but would rather it moved to mode dial button.

Aug 04, 2017 at 06:38 AM
Frode
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Yes, according to Nikon, VR is not recommended for faster shutterspeed than 1/500.

Steve Perry wrote:
The first one is a victim of 1/400th of a second - way too slow for flying birds. No AF settings will help, you need more shutter speed. I like 1/3200th on my D500.

The second shot looks sharp, but 1/640th is still slow for birds. It looks like he may have slowed / hovered there for a sec and that's probably why that one is good.

Before you try anything else, pick up the shutter speed and try it (and you can shut off VR well before 1/3200th - I usually try to cut mine down between 1/500th
...Show more

Aug 04, 2017 at 03:16 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Frode wrote:
Yes, according to Nikon, VR is not recommended for faster shutterspeed than 1/500.

Out of curiosity, where did you see that Nikon recommended 1/500th or slower? I've never seen anything to that effect in any lens instructions, it's just something I've seen recommended and that seems to work well. If Nikon actually has something out there, I'd be interested to see what they say. I know I've tested it with stationary subjects, and have found that some lenses don't seem to mind going faster than 1/500th, while others do.

Aug 04, 2017 at 05:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Frode wrote:

Steve Perry wrote:
Out of curiosity, where did you see that Nikon recommended 1/500th or slower? I've never seen anything to that effect in any lens instructions, it's just something I've seen recommended and that seems to work well. If Nikon actually has something out there, I'd be interested to see what they say. I know I've tested it with stationary subjects, and have found that some lenses don't seem to mind going faster than 1/500th, while others do.

Yes, I don't know why people can't be bothered to post a direct link to such info, instead of just posting "according to Nikon".

Aug 04, 2017 at 06:00 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

My settings have changed since the last firmware update. I'm now using group as most do and i'm not as happy as before this upgrade when I was using dynamic 153 point. Still need to fiddle.

Morris

Aug 05, 2017 at 03:25 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Frode wrote:

Steve Perry wrote:

Seems like Frode does not have a reply.

If Nikon makes such a recommendation, it begs the question, "Why does their 300mm f4 PF lens have a VR setting marked SPORT?"

I am pretty sure that the vast majority of images taken of sports are actions shots requiring high shutter speeds.

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:25 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Imagemaster wrote:
Seems like Frode does not have a reply.

If Nikon makes such a recommendation, it begs the question, "Why does their 300mm f4 PF lens have a VR setting marked SPORT?"

I am pretty sure that the vast majority of images taken of sports are actions shots requiring high shutter speeds.

Yeah, no clue.

I think part of the problem is that it seems VR performance varies from lens to lens. For the most part, I can turn on VR with my 600 F4E (and G before that) and everything is fine. However, my 200-500 hates VR after 1/500th BUT seems to to get better around 1/2000th ~1/3200th - at least with the D5 (and it does seem like the body can dictate how well VR works at various shutter speeds).

Heck, with the new AF-P lenses you can't even shut off VR on some cameras and no firmware to fix it. For me, once I think I don't need it anymore - and that usually is at 1/500th - I just try to remember to shut it off.

I guess we can add VR to the list of things Nikon doesn't document well enough

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:41 AM
Mattminter

p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

What a great thread, just upgraded to the D500 and looking forward to getting the best out of my sigma 150-600 with it, this thread has helped no end, thanks all.

Dec 07, 2017 at 04:12 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

morris wrote:
My settings have changed since the last firmware update. I'm now using group as most do and i'm not as happy as before this upgrade when I was using dynamic 153 point. Still need to fiddle.

Morris

I'm back to dynamic 153 point and getting great results. The only thing I changed was my mind.

Morris

Dec 07, 2017 at 11:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password