Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2016 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

My current solution for birding :

AF-ON : Group
PV : Single Point + AF-ON (I no longer need to use the back AF-ON button)
FN1 : Playback (rapid one-handed shot check and zoom in without removing your left hand from the lens. You lose Preview though as there is now nowhere else to assign it)

So I can now quickly switch from Group .... (which is great for a lot of action but not for birds in cover because if one of the 4 Group points touches an object in front of your subject (obviously a bird in this scenario) e.g. a branch or foliage, then focus will switch to that foreground object, even though the other 3 points remain on the bird .... to single point to enable me to focus on the bird in cover without the likelihood of focus accidently switching to a foreground object.

However if the bird takes flight, or I need to switch to another BIF, then simply taking my finger off PV and returning to use AF-ON returns me to Group and the awesome BIF capability of the D500's AF.

PV is a more comfortable position for my fingers than FN1 when in constant use.

May 14, 2016 at 05:30 AM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Because I often shoot birds in close quarters (Everglades) I need the ability to move my single point around, so now I’m going to try leaving the camera on AFC Single Point and Frogfish’s idea of AF-On: Group. That sounds like an immediate remedy in the event of takeoff.

Wayne

May 14, 2016 at 12:46 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

My current configurations:
AF-ON Button: --> AF-area mode + AF-ON --> Group - This will allow the AF-ON button to focus and release using Group.

Shutter-Release Button: --> Shutter/AF-ON --> Single Point - This will allow Shutter-Release button to focus & release using Single Point. No other button is required. Use the Sub Selector stick to move the focus point around.

-Quang

May 14, 2016 at 01:59 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Personally, I still have my AF-On button set to act normally (to use whatever AF mode I've selected) and have the PV button set to switch to single point with a push. I also have my sub selector joystick set to AF-On with a push, making it easy to track / switch AF points.

Although, with all these options I have a feeling that no two cameras are both going to be set up quite the same!

May 14, 2016 at 03:22 PM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Steve Perry wrote:
Personally, I still have my AF-On button set to act normally (to use whatever AF mode I've selected) and have the PV button set to switch to single point with a push. I also have my sub selector joystick set to AF-On with a push, making it easy to track / switch AF points.

Although, with all these options I have a feeling that no two cameras are both going to be set up quite the same!

Will be interesting to see the results of all.

Wayne

May 14, 2016 at 03:30 PM
HotGates

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Steve Perry wrote:
I've been down in FL shooting BIF - mostly smaller wading birds but also some very fast skimmers and terns. My settings were:

AF-C, Back Button AF - Just my normal settings for, well, pretty much everything.

Group AF - I actually liked this better than D25, 72, etc. I normally go for those instead of group, but with this AF system my keeper rate was higher for these types of birds with group AF. I would switch back to D25 with larger birds (great egrets, great blue herons, etc), because group AF was prone to grabbing focus on the
...Show moreJust bought the D500 as well and the 200-500, which settings would you use for Eagles or Hawks?

May 17, 2016 at 09:00 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

HotGates wrote:
Just bought the D500 as well and the 200-500, which settings would you use for Eagles or Hawks?

Pretty much the same as any other birds in flight. I'd probably start with Group AF, maybe D25 but Group has been treating me pretty well for shots like that.

I also have custom function A3 set to "2" and in the middle between "Steady" and "Erratic", but Thang seems to be doing good with 5 and erratic so it depends on your shooting style / environment and the birds themselves of course.

The big thing is that you'll probably need more shutter speed than you think. I like to be 1/3200th or faster with this camera. The high pixel density needs fast shutter speeds if you want tack sharp images at 100%.

May 17, 2016 at 11:09 PM
HotGates

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Steve Perry wrote:
Pretty much the same as any other birds in flight. I'd probably start with Group AF, maybe D25 but Group has been treating me pretty well for shots like that.

I also have custom function A3 set to "2" and in the middle between "Steady" and "Erratic", but Thang seems to be doing good with 5 and erratic so it depends on your shooting style / environment and the birds themselves of course.

The big thing is that you'll probably need more shutter speed than you think. I like to be 1/3200th or faster with this camera. The high
...Show more
Great thank you

May 18, 2016 at 10:51 AM
Keiththom
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

The custom auto focus settings have me a bit befuddled. I was going to try the Group AF and noticed these selections as well:

A6- Number of focus points has 2 choices 55 or 15?

A9 has 6 blocks. Should only one or all be checked

A12- When I turn Dynamic area AF on, I see my focus points in the viewfinder. Should it be in the "OFF" position is I want to use Group Area AF? And Group Area AF give me two choices. I'm not sure what the choices mean. And I notice in Group Area AF, there are no focus points displayed in my viewfinder??

May 18, 2016 at 02:24 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Keiththom wrote:
The custom auto focus settings have me a bit befuddled. I was going to try the Group AF and noticed these selections as well:

A6- Number of focus points has 2 choices 55 or 15?

A9 has 6 blocks. Should only one or all be checked

A12- When I turn Dynamic area AF on, I see my focus points in the viewfinder. Should it be in the "OFF" position is I want to use Group Area AF? And Group Area AF give me two choices. I'm not sure what the choices mean. And I notice in Group Area AF, there
...Show more

A6 = the number of points you can select with your joystick. Note that not all 153 are selectable. Use 15 if you find getting from one side of the screen to the other is too slow, although I'd recommend leaving it on 55.

A9 = AF options available when you press the AF Options Button and scroll though. If you don't use some of the options (ever), you can uncheck them so you can switch between the AF modes you do use faster.

A12 = Dynamic and Group are two different AF options, so settings for one won't do anything for the other. The Group options are simply how the AF points look in the viewfinder, so it's an aesthetic choice, not a functional one.

For more on Nikon AF Modes, see my video below. It doesn't cover the D500, but the modes work the same.

Hope that helps

May 18, 2016 at 03:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Keiththom
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Thanks Steve! I'm sure that will help. Although I'll probably still have more dumb questions.

May 18, 2016 at 04:22 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Keiththom wrote:
Thanks Steve! I'm sure that will help. Although I'll probably still have more dumb questions.

Glad to help and hey, no one is born knowing this stuff

May 18, 2016 at 04:26 PM
A. Winslow

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Steve, Great video and easy to understand for learning the autofocus settings coming from a 7dm2. Thank you!

May 21, 2016 at 12:34 PM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Awesome thread.
Thanks Steve for the clear and concise vid.
My simple setup:
1. Default: Group-area AF AF-C using AF-On for BIF.
2. Sub-Selector (Joystick): Single Point AF-On for more precise focusing and/or perched small birds.
3. Pv: Auto-area AF for birds taking off unexpectedly or no time to focus properly (worked great with Nikon 1).
I doubt anyone else has this particular setup.

May 26, 2016 at 08:05 PM
Steen DK
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Thank you, Steve Perry, for your excellent "Nikon D500 Video Review from the perspective of a wildlife photographer"

plus the supplement page with tons of additional information

http://www.backcountrygallery.com/ph...n-d500-review/

Jun 02, 2016 at 09:53 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Steen DK wrote:
Thank you, Steve Perry, for your excellent "Nikon D500 Video Review from the perspective of a wildlife photographer"

plus the supplement page with tons of additional information

http://www.backcountrygallery.com/ph...n-d500-review/

Thanks for posting it

Jun 02, 2016 at 12:41 PM
j.curtis
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

WOW! A lot of good info from this thread. Thanks everyone.

Jun 02, 2016 at 01:41 PM
etacarinae

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Thang wrote:
My back "AF-ON" button is set to Single point. My default is set to Group. I don't use the "AF-ON" button to activate focus. I use the shutter button for that. My Pv button is set for 25 focus points. And the other is set to 72. I may reprogram to use these two latter buttons for something else as I see no use for 25 or 72 focus points for my bird photography. Whenever I need to use Single focus point I just press and hold the "AF-ON" button. I disable AF-S option. I use AF-C 99% of the
...Show more

My settings are nearly same as yours Thang.
Great pictures btw

Jun 28, 2016 at 07:58 AM
jtmdmd12
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

I was messing around the other afternoon with the D500 & a 80-200 AF-S trying the camera out on some hummingbirds. I don't normally use the 3D focus setting, but I thought I would give it a try. It hadn't worked with any of my other Nikon bodies, but I focused on a hovering bird & pressed the shutter release as long as he was there (3 trips to the feeder & back out hovering & watching me). Out of the 110 shots I took in that sequence only 12 were out of focus. I didn't move the camera, i just let the tracking follow it. I had the Blocked Shot set to 2 & Subject motion set to Erratic. I normally use 25 (set to shutter release) or Group (set to AF On) but this was interesting- it really tracked a fast-moving subject. The 7D Mark II that I had used for the past year MAY have gotten 10 in focus out of 110.

Jun 28, 2016 at 04:30 PM
D500

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

I have really great success with 153 tracking points.
It is track very accurately all over the viewfinder.

I wish i could show you some of my photos, but i'm not intend to buy or sell anything, and therefor do not see any reason to pay membership here just to show off some photos.

You can see some if you want, here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/d500/

Jun 28, 2016 at 06:42 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password