Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2016 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Thang
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Hope it helps Quang. Yeah i tried single point but so hard to keep it on fast flying falcons. 25/72 af points lock onto the BG too much. W group focus I don't have to do as much focus pump as I did with canon 7d2. Good luck

ShutteredMe wrote:
I was thinking Single Point AF, it would be long if you missed focus and have to wait for it to focus again on the subject, but I guess Group AF will solve that issue. Also I guess you could pump the AF-ON/Shutter button and get it focus faster.
Damn you are GOOD with the D500 and 2-5 combo. I am still learning to use it. I tried setting the AF-ON to Single Point like you said and I actually like it, but I need retrain myself to use the Shutter button again.. .

-Quang

May 10, 2016 at 07:32 PM
mfrank999
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Thang wrote:
Lol for almost two yrs with the 600 is ii and 500 is ii

Chk my posting history and the 7d2 thread

Thanks for the input, by the way the series of shots of the Hawks and rocks background are fantastic!
Marty

May 10, 2016 at 07:49 PM
mfrank999
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Has anyone shot BIF in poor light with the D500 and what was the auto focus accuracy rate?

May 10, 2016 at 09:03 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Can you define poor light in terms of iso and shutter speed for bif and I can look through my files?

May 10, 2016 at 09:15 PM
chatcher
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Thang wrote:
My back "AF-ON" button is set to Single point. My default is set to Group...

That sounds like such a great idea - I set mine up the same. Then I picked up the D810 to do the same with it, and I guess you know the rest of the story - it's not an option.

May 10, 2016 at 10:49 PM
mfrank999
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Thang wrote:
Can you define poor light in terms of iso and shutter speed for bif and I can look through my files?

Close to dusk ( at sundown ) and also on cloudy days.
I do not care about the ISO as much as if the autofocus grabs the bird rapidly in flight.
Also against darker background at dusk.
Boy I am very demanding!!!
Thanks,

On second thought, I guess if it included higher ISO with cloudy or close to dusk photos that would be nice also!

Edited on May 11, 2016 at 11:40 AM · View previous versions

May 10, 2016 at 11:17 PM
marc2307
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

ShutteredMe wrote:
Anyone know how to assign the FN1 + wheel or the PV + wheel to change AF Mode? I hate having to have to use both hands to do it every time.

-Quang

For those that use back button AF, now by setting the sub selector centre button to AF mode with AF ON, one can now have 2 rear AF back buttons.

Eg: I have my designated AF button to AF focus only using Single Pt and my Sub selector (centre press) to Group AF, one can now switch modes on the fly with just a single finger press (& hold). With both buttons so close to each other, it becomes second nature now for me to switch easily when the situation arises.

I have set up both my D5 & D500 with this method, and has made my BIF & general wildlife photography handling even better!

Cheers
Marc

May 11, 2016 at 09:17 AM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Thang wrote:
My back "AF-ON" button is set to Single point. My default is set to Group. I don't use the "AF-ON" button to activate focus. I use the shutter button for that. My Pv button is set for 25 focus points. And the other is set to 72. I may reprogram to use these two latter buttons for something else as I see no use for 25 or 72 focus points for my bird photography. Whenever I need to use Single focus point I just press and hold the "AF-ON" button. I disable AF-S option. I use AF-C 99% of the
...Show more

Thang,
Where can I find the instructions to set AF-ON to Single Point and still keep the shutter release for focusing?
Wayne

May 11, 2016 at 06:11 PM
chatcher
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Wayne Willison wrote:
Thang,
Where can I find the instructions to set AF-ON to Single Point and still keep the shutter release for focusing?
Wayne

Not Thang, but f1 Custom Control Assignment, AF-ON to set Single Point, a8 AF Activation to Shutter/AF-ON to focus with shutter release.

May 11, 2016 at 06:14 PM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Thanks Chuck. Appreciate it.

Wayne

May 11, 2016 at 06:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

architect7
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

mfrank999 wrote:
Close to dusk ( at sundown ) and also on cloudy days.
I do not care about the ISO as much as if the autofocus grabs the bird rapidly in flight.
Also against darker background at dusk.
Boy I am very demanding!!!
Thanks,

On second thought, I guess if it included higher ISO with cloudy or close to dusk photos that would be nice also!

I'll look for examples when I get home from the office but the D500 does extremely well with after dusk. I find myself sticking around for longer after the sun sets than when I shot with my D810 or with my 1D4 or 7D2. Focus tracking is just as fast and high ISO is superb.

May 11, 2016 at 09:07 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

marc2307 wrote:
For those that use back button AF, now by setting the sub selector centre button to AF mode with AF ON, one can now have 2 rear AF back buttons.

Eg: I have my designated AF button to AF focus only using Single Pt and my Sub selector (centre press) to Group AF, one can now switch modes on the fly with just a single finger press (& hold). With both buttons so close to each other, it becomes second nature now for me to switch easily when the situation arises.

I have set up both my D5 & D500 with
...Show more

Thanks Marc. The only problem for with that is I keep accidently moving the focus points around... . I did however assigned it to AF 25 points. So now I have the Shutter button set to Release & Group AF, the AF-On button is assigned Single AF, and the Sub selector assigned 25 points AF. I think I am going to keep it like this and try to get use to this settings.

-Quang

May 11, 2016 at 10:45 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

chatcher wrote:
Not Thang, but f1 Custom Control Assignment, AF-ON to set Single Point, a8 AF Activation to Shutter/AF-ON to focus with shutter release.

And the Sub center selector set to 25 points... for me, thanks to Marc.

-Quang

May 11, 2016 at 10:47 PM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

So now that AF-On is set to Single Point and shutter release is set to focus, how do you move the single point around the frame while pressing/holding the AF-On button?
Wayne

May 12, 2016 at 12:20 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Wayne Willison wrote:
So now that AF-On is set to Single Point and shutter release is set to focus, how do you move the single point around the frame while pressing/holding the AF-On button?
Wayne

99% of the time it is in the center for me. If I need to move it, I use the sub selector to move and then press the AF-On.

-Quang

May 12, 2016 at 12:41 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Agreed as I found that out over the weekend. So I programmed "single focus point" to Fn1 and set "AF-ON" to focus lock. This allows me to move "single focus" point around with sub-selector while Fn1 pressed when group focus is at default.

Wayne Willison wrote:
Wayne

May 12, 2016 at 03:42 PM
surgeon1
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

Just curious, but would Thang's method of shooting BIF also work well for shooting football with D500 or D5?

May 12, 2016 at 06:49 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

I have not been happy with the autofocus of the 200-500mm on my D810 and have been waiting to get a D500 to see whether to keep the lens or not. Judging from the photos posted the D500 makes the 200-500mm lens a winner.

May 13, 2016 at 08:54 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

surgeon1 wrote:
Just curious, but would Thang's method of shooting BIF also work well for shooting football with D500 or D5?

I am not sure. But I did see a tip guide from Nikon USA site that talks about focus setting for sports. I can't seem to locate it now...But it's out there.

May 13, 2016 at 08:56 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D500 Settings for Birds in Flight ?

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d500_tips/

When Nikon introduced a brand new autofocus system with the D3 camera they quickly put out a pro guide as a PDF and it was targeted at sports shooters. Same with these tips for the D500/D5 cameras' new AF system.

Good information for those shooting team sports but of little value for other shooters. Thang's Tips are much better and what works for a BIF is going to work well as a starting point for sports shooters.

May 13, 2016 at 09:33 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password