Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tilt/Shift lenses for architecture: how do you use them?

vagrant10

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tilt/Shift lenses for architecture: how do you use them?

Wondering how best to use a tilt shift lens in different conditions. I'm not sure when to use it short of keeping lines perpendicular. Is it used for enhancing depth of field, reflections... just not sure I've got a grasp of scenarios for using it. If you wouldn't mind giving me a couple pointers, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

May 04, 2016 at 01:59 AM
HelloMrLocust

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tilt/Shift lenses for architecture: how do you use them?

I use the Canon 17TS primarily for architecture. Looking back on it, I wish I would have bought the 24 instead. It would have saved me some money and I think the 17 is too wide most of the time.

I use it for keeping the lines straight. I was shooting a church was a wonderful wood ceiling. It would be impossible to shoot the ceiling and keep the camera level at the same time so I decided to use the tilt shift. I could shoot horizontally and the shift the lens up or I could shoot vertically and shift the lens to the sides.

May 04, 2016 at 09:33 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tilt/Shift lenses for architecture: how do you use them?

The traditional way to use a tilt-shift lens for architecture is to have the camera on a tripod, preferably with a geared head on it, use the geared adjustments to perfectly level the camera, fore to aft and side to side (I prefer using the Clinometer app on my phone to the built in levels in the camera) then use the shift (rise/fall/shift) function to frame the shot. Typically you don't use the tilt function for architecture as you end up throwing things like ceilings out of focus by mistake, so just leave that locked and zeroed. (and of course there are always exceptions to that rule) Focus is best achieved by using Live View and zoomed in. Optimal apertures are usually around f/11, although f/8 to f/16 are all usable.

May 04, 2016 at 02:39 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tilt/Shift lenses for architecture: how do you use them?

I use all 4 of the Canon tilt-shifts.

As you note, keeping lines parallel is the big one. Next one is adjusting the plane of focus to give the appearance of greater depth of field (you're not really enhancing depth of field, just moving it to suit your needs). Next would be changing the virtual camera location; i.e. seeing a room from a higher location than your tripod allows. Final one would be selective focus (the opposite of my second reason).

May 04, 2016 at 03:29 PM
vagrant10

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tilt/Shift lenses for architecture: how do you use them?

Thanks for the replies - some good stuff.
I'm looking forward to playing around with t/s as a way to make my architectural shots better.
The biggest problem I'm having is knowing how far I should adjust the tilt portion to get the DOF as I would want it and to be able to see the result I'm after on the camera's LCD.
I remember photographing some interiors without a t/s and getting the lines to stay vertical often was difficult without standing on a ladder and doing some serious cropping of ceilings. T/S seems like a great tool to have when photographing structures.

May 05, 2016 at 02:36 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tilt/Shift lenses for architecture: how do you use them?

Tilt and DOF: standard response is "understand Scheimpflug well." My advice would be "kinda understand what the focal plane is doing, and lean heavily on Live View for focusing." This assumes that you've got a modern enough body to have good Live View.

May 05, 2016 at 01:44 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.