New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Flying into Anchorage, Alaska

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flying into Anchorage, Alaska

Will be in Alaska for 7 days. Will be renting a car so should be mobile. My initial plans are to drive around and do a glacier tour maybe drive to Seward.

Will be with a few other friends.

Would love to do some landscapes.

Current kit is Fuji with:

Samyang/Rokinon 12mm F2
Fuji 55-200mm F3.5-4.8
Fuji 56mm F1.2

Debating whether to get the 23mm F1.4 or 35mm F2 for the normal range.

Any suggestions on where to go?

May 03, 2016 at 05:44 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flying into Anchorage, Alaska

If you go to Seward, try one of the Kenai Fjords National Park boat trips. I prefer the longer trip that goes to Northwestern Fjord. If the waves aren't too bad, then you will have a great trip with views of wildlife, mountains, and glaciers. Another idea is to head the other way - to Talkeetna and Denali NP. If you are near Talkeetna on a really good weather day, then I highly recommend doing a flight seeing tour of Denali. I have used K2 Aviation (out of Talkeetna) several times and been very happy with their pilots. I have come away with several wall hangers from both suggestions. Maybe someone that lives there will give some other suggestions. Good luck! Oh, and post some images here when you get back!
Keith W.

May 03, 2016 at 10:47 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flying into Anchorage, Alaska

Thanks! K2 Aviation sounds like a must do.

May 04, 2016 at 01:02 PM
Argyle Monkey
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flying into Anchorage, Alaska

You can also do the glacier tour while in Seward. Exit Glacier Guides does hiking tours up to Exit Glacier but you have to be in fairly decent shape since there is quite a bit of elevation change getting up to the glacier. It was one of the best things I did up there. I would also suggest heading up to Talkeetna and Denali. I was on the mainland for 7 days before a cruise. Spent a day driving to Denali with a stop in Talkeetna. Two days in Denali NP. One day driving back with a stop in Anchorage for lunch before heading to Seward. Then a couple days in Seward but we were leaving from there and didn't nned to go back to Anchorage. It was a decent amount of driving but I didn't feel too rushed.

May 05, 2016 at 07:19 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flying into Anchorage, Alaska

One thing that I'm wary about is a car rental. I definitely want to rent a car but it's not immediately clear to me from here where I can drive an where I cannot with a rental.

May 05, 2016 at 01:46 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flying into Anchorage, Alaska

Unless you are doing a remote dirt/gravel road (e.g., Dalton Highway, or Denali Highway (between Cantwell and Paxson)), then I doubt you will have a problem. The road down to Seward and the Kenai pennisula are paved and in great shape (watch for Moose early and late, however). Same with the road up to Denali and Talkeetna. Needless to say, you can always check with your car rental company to find out their specific restrictions. Don't worry about road conditions too much. I've done the Dalton and Denali highways, and those are rough and remote, but most highways in Alaska are in surprisingly good shape.
Keith W.

May 05, 2016 at 01:53 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flying into Anchorage, Alaska

For the places you listed there is no issue with a rental car. Alaska does have paved roads.

One thing to keep in mind is the distances. Almost everything there is a day's drive away from the next place you want to go. Also, since there is vast wilderness there be aware there many places with no radio access at all. So if you are used to listening to something on your radio as you drive like most of us, it can get very silent. So pack along a few CD's, etc. or make sure your rental car is equipped with a satellite radio. I forgot my CD's one time and went 3 days with no radio signals and nobody was selling CD's either. Finally I found a place and bought so old CDs of groups I would never normally listen too.

In Denali, even If you use K2, plan a day to take the bus into the heart of Denali. It's a fun all day trip and you will be able to shoot Grizzlies and moose from the comfort of the bus.

Jim

May 05, 2016 at 04:18 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flying into Anchorage, Alaska

Okay thanks, so on my agenda is:

1. Seward Glacier Tours
2. Bus Tours in Denali
3. Potentially do a K2 flight

Any other ideas? Anything to see/do up in Fairbanks?

May 06, 2016 at 02:07 PM
Sierra Hotel
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flying into Anchorage, Alaska

I'm thinking that if you do all three of the things on your agenda, you'll fill the 7 days. JimFox pointed out the geographic distances you're dealing with - from Anchorage to Seward is 126 VERY scenic miles. The Seward highway is designated as an All American road, and let me suggest you will not have a more scenic ride in your life. It takes your breath away . . . .really. I lived just north of Anchorage for more than 16 years, and EVERY trip down to the Kenai peninsula was breathtaking - even in a downpour or a snow storm. It's really not feasible to try and fit in a glacier tour after driving down to Seward, and then trying to drive back to Anchorage. Denali is some 350 miles north of Anchorage, so you can see the challenge there, although you can fit in a flight-seeing with K2 along the way. That's really three days by itself.

You could do a fly in from Anchorage to the Seward Peninsula and fish for a day, or if you choose to drive up to Fairbanks via the Glenn Highway you can hit Talkeetna (cute little town) for your flight seeing, then on to Denali NP. Finish the trip North to Fairbanks and visit Chena Hot Springs, and then drive back down the Richardson Highway to Anchorage - stunning scenery the entire trip. A side trip to the terminus of the Alaska Pipeline system in Valdez is always cool.

The entire loop from Anchorage to Fairbanks, and then back to Anchorage is more than 700 miles, and you can't do Outside highway speeds - plan on averaging 50 mph because it is 2 lane roads, some of it through mountain passes, and a lot of it covered by frost heaves that can launch a Class A motorhome 5 feet in the air (don't ask me how I know . . .).

Enjoy the trip - I miss it every day, and wonder why the hell I left that place for . . . Houston.

May 14, 2016 at 07:20 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.