New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sports monopod ballhead

gazzaf1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sports monopod ballhead

Looking to upgrade from my current less than stellar ballhead I use mostly with a Canon 300L and 400L. I use a Sirui P-236 monopod.

I use the setup exclusively for sports. The Manfrotto I currently use has a tendency to slip which throws off my horizon. Its correctable in post but I'm losing trust in it.

Suggestions? Would like to keep it below $150.

May 03, 2016 at 01:22 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sports monopod ballhead

Probably better to post this in the sports forum, as shooters there will have more experience with longer/heavier glass

We are mostly a handheld or tripod group around here lol

May 03, 2016 at 01:24 PM
markhout
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sports monopod ballhead

As a handheld and tripod person who occasionally (less than 10x / year) uses a monopod for sport (to support a 180mm, or 70-200 zoom), I bought a dirt cheap ballhead for $20 on eBay (new!) 5 or so years ago. It has always served me admirably, particularly in situations where my $$$ Linhof ballhead would start getting loose or fall apart in pieces.

Not sure if it will carry a 400L, but folks in the sports corner of this forum will no doubt have much better alternatives.

A squirt of WD-40 got this guy a new life last year.

And when it breaks, I will get a new one.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/ruby-005h-ball-head-for-camera-tripod_p382221.html

May 03, 2016 at 01:32 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sports monopod ballhead

Are you sure you want a ballhead? I think these monopod heads made by Really Right Stuff are great:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Heads/Monopod-Heads

Kirk also has a similar product:

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Kirk_MPA-2_Monopod_Head.html

I have found that these monopod heads work way better on a monopod than a ballhead, but perhaps for your use a ballhead is needed. I think it is worth considering these monopod heads, however.

May 03, 2016 at 02:45 PM
twoeye
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sports monopod ballhead

+1 for a tilting monopod head instead of a ballhead, Manfrotto has a similar one, works great.

May 03, 2016 at 02:55 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sports monopod ballhead

Steve Spencer wrote:
Are you sure you want a ballhead? I think these monopod heads made by Really Right Stuff are great:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Heads/Monopod-Heads

Kirk also has a similar product:

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Kirk_MPA-2_Monopod_Head.html

I have found that these monopod heads work way better on a monopod than a ballhead, but perhaps for your use a ballhead is needed. I think it is worth considering these monopod heads, however.

I like the Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head.

Rich

May 03, 2016 at 03:19 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sports monopod ballhead

I shoot a 1DmkIIn, 5DMkII or 7DmkII and 300 2.8 vI handheld most days. The monopod is a pain 90% of the time. But, if I feel the need, or after several days of shooting I get a bit tired holding the gear I'll use it.

I use a manfrotto monopod & manfrotto 234RC head locked down. I only really use a head because of the quick release. The head is tilted slightly down (the lens & monopod are not at 90 degrees) because the monopod foot is out in front of me and not straight down.

In my mind having to keep the camera stable in a loose ball head is not much different than handholding, but with less movement. I can almost pan & shoot with one hand with my setup. My off hand is just resting on the mount.

The 234 is $45 at B&H.

Everyone is different though.

Edited on May 03, 2016 at 04:58 PM · View previous versions

May 03, 2016 at 04:55 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sports monopod ballhead

naturephoto1 wrote:
I like the Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head.

Rich

I use the RRS for a 300/2.8 and a 200-400/4.0. Ball head would be a poor choice for big glass IMO.

Andy

May 03, 2016 at 04:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sports monopod ballhead

I use the RRS MH-01 with 300/2.8L IS and 500/4L IS. It's great.

May 03, 2016 at 05:03 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sports monopod ballhead

jcolwell wrote:
I use the RRS MH-01 with 300/2.8L IS and 500/4L IS. It's great.

Hi Jim,

The Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head is very smooth for operation, you can change the direction of the Arca Type QR clamp easily, and by adjusting the the lock of head you can adjust the drag or resistence. My machine shop had to shorten the tripod thread of my RRS MC-34 Carbon Fiber Monopod so that I could attach the head. The RRS thread was too long.

Rich

May 03, 2016 at 05:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sports monopod ballhead

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Jim,

The Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head is very smooth for operation, you can change the direction of the Arca Type QR clamp easily,...

Hi Rich,

That's a nice feature. The newer RRS MH-02 head can adjust clamp direction, too, but my MH-01 pre-dates that. I do sometimes want to change clamp direction when I switch between a long lens and smaller, body-mounted lens that I want to use on the monopod, but I'm resigned to living with it.

May 03, 2016 at 06:02 PM
gazzaf1
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sports monopod ballhead

Sorry meant monopod head. Typing faster than my brain...

Thanks for the great info. The RRS looks like a good choice for me. I currently use the Manfrotto 234rc and it seems loose now. Add slight pressure to it with a 300 and it slips.

May 04, 2016 at 12:30 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sports monopod ballhead

I'v been using mine for almost 10 years with a 300mm lens of various brands and it barely moves at all.

gazzaf1 wrote:
Sorry meant monopod head. Typing faster than my brain...

Thanks for the great info. The RRS looks like a good choice for me. I currently use the Manfrotto 234rc and it seems loose now. Add slight pressure to it with a 300 and it slips.

May 06, 2016 at 09:40 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sports monopod ballhead

I was curious... so I googled "Sports Photographer" images and the vast majority of long lens users don't even use a head with big glass. :-/

May 06, 2016 at 09:47 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.