New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Denver and the Rockies

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Denver and the Rockies

If you had one day.....to get into RMNP from Denver

Probably sounds stupid, but it is what it is. I will likely have a half day or two to check out parts of Denver and could use suggested architectural must sees

But I also want to do a day trip into the Rockies. Anyone use a tour? Would I know where to stop, look, shoot if I just rented a car? From what I read this is an approx 300 mile 10-12 hour loop when done by bus. Should I skip it and just hit a few sights?

Thanks
Scott

May 03, 2016 at 10:24 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Denver and the Rockies

San Juans are spectacular, but about the same distance. when are you going? just seems like a lot of driving for one day. just visit the city and breweries and save the mountains for another trip when you have time.

May 03, 2016 at 10:54 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Denver and the Rockies

First, I will qualify what I am saying by telling you I'm from Southern California. A lot of driving doesn't bother me at all.

I'm made a day drive from Denver to RMNP a couple times. I had plenty of time to stop when and where I wanted. Looked a bit around Estes Park and the Stanley. There is a golf course in the area where I found a lot of Elk hanging out. Made the drive through the park loop and ended up with a very satisfying day. Was it rushed a bit, yeah. Did I miss some things? Likely. Would I do it again? Yes.

I also like heading south to Garden of the Gods park, or just head out a bit random out by Red Rocks or one of the many roads that wind through the mountains.

Denver is a great area and a photographers paradise if you open yourself up to a free spirited approach.

May 03, 2016 at 11:18 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Denver and the Rockies

Thanks for the feedback so far.
Going late June.

Scott

May 03, 2016 at 11:30 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Denver and the Rockies

The San Juans are not the same distance from Denver as Rocky Mountain National Park. It's about 5 1/2 hours to Montrose from Denver, another 45 minutes to Ridgeway and you still are not there. Going North, to either Longmont or Loveland, and then on up to Estes Park and then Rocky Mountain National Park is far less time.

May 03, 2016 at 01:06 PM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Denver and the Rockies

Weather is very iffy in the RMNP. I had 3 days + there and had to put up with an awful lot of clouds. See what I mean -

http://needsabeach.com/blog/colorado/

If you rent a car in Denver at least you can try to chase after gaps in the cloud cover. With any tour you would be locked into their route, regardless of weather.

Kelly Cook

May 03, 2016 at 11:35 PM
Darren K
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Denver and the Rockies

I am a Denver native, but can't even offer the first suggestion for the architectural side of things.

A tour? That's what research on the Web is for, like you're doing.

To clarify, Ridgway is right at 5.5 hours from Denver, but that's another topic.

If I had a day out of Denver for RMNP, I'd go the opposite direction, or keep on going into Wyoming. It's basically a suburb of Denver, population-wise, which makes it my least favorite spot in the state. Way too many humans, just like all of the big-name parks. Still, given what you're working with, it would likely be worth it, and it would still be quiet at photographer hours, but anything in between . . .

My main suggestion, though, is for Mt. Evans, out of Idaho Springs, which should be a must-visit given your criteria. From Denver, it's about an hour and forty-five to the summit, which offers photo ops along the way up, and is also a US hotspot for mountain goats. Just after sunrise is the best time for the goats. Anyway, crazy awesome views from the summit, and a June visit would be perfect with all of the snow. Yes, I suppose it can get a little busy there, too, but not RMNP busy. A weekday visit would be ideal.

Regarding a loop scenic drive, I'm not sure if you were referring to RMNP or something else. If you were possibly wanting a scenic drive option, a great drive would take you from Denver to Leadville, then south to Buena Vista, and back via 285. Lots of mountains along that route.

May 04, 2016 at 11:58 PM
barrye
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Denver and the Rockies

A good day trip from Denver is to do Mt. Evans if you can handle the altitude and then take a drive to the "Oh My God" road to see the old abandoned gold mines. They are very photogenic. You pick up the road off of I-70. Be warned that the road is a two lane gravel road that goes through the mountains and through a ghost town called Russel Gulch. I had no problem doing it with a Chevrolet Astro. There are many photo opportunities along the way, and it can easily be done with Mt. Evans in a day. Here is a link to a site that shows you the route. http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/728-oh-my-god-road-usa.html You can undoubtedly google other information on it. Incidentally, it has that name because of the fantastic views including one of Mt. Evens. - Barry

May 05, 2016 at 09:31 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Denver and the Rockies

Erik Stensland has a wonderful e-book on mostly landscape opportunities in RMNP. He does include tips for finding wildlife. It's a great book. Highly recommend. He does not guide.
http://imagesofrmnp.com/product/photographing-rmnp-ebook/

Jared with Yellow Wood guiding is a wonderful guide. I spent a morning with him last year and reserved a date again this year. You can book variable length private tours at a reasonable price for anything you want to do - landscape/wildlife. His schedule does fill up but looks like end of June is still available, so I'd reserve a date once you can commit. I don't always have the chance to scout out a trail for landscape. Heading out by myself at 3-4am on a two hour hike is not a good idea if I've never scouted the area in daylight. I've been lost before in the middle of the night and it is not fun. This is where Jared helps. He can take you hassle free in the dark to your destination, and help you get the shot. He is also great with finding wildlife.

http://www.ywguiding.com/2009_06.html

There are a lifetime of sites to see at RMNP. I'd focus on doing a couple things right rather than "hitting all the highlights" and not seeing much at all. Now if you plan to return for a longer stay and want to scout things out, that's different.

In summer clouds build up over the day, lead to late pm storms/rain, then often mostly clear up overnight.
My favorite place to sit and have a long lunch? At 12,500 feet on the trail ridge road. It's awesome.

David

May 05, 2016 at 11:44 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Denver and the Rockies

Hey Scott,

To clear up, Ridgway is a very cool place to go and depending where in Denver you are it could easily take you easily 6+ hours. I drive through there all the time, the huge difference maker is the I-70. In the winter its the snow that can turn it into a 9 or 10 hour drive. They seem to constantly be doing construction on it this last year or so that can easily add a 45 min or hour to the drive.

Now if it was me I would go to Garden of the Gods in Colorado Spring. Spend half a day there, and then drive up to Pikes Peak. That will fill out a day, you end up not being too far from Denver but you see some cool stuff.

Jim

May 06, 2016 at 06:39 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Denver and the Rockies

Thanks to all of you so far. I am absorbing......and will check out some maps but Mt Evans is sounding like a no-brainer.

Scott

May 06, 2016 at 07:53 PM
Charlie San
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Denver and the Rockies

A few comments from the southern hinterlands of Colorado. Garden of the Gods is great but it is more a morning place for photography. If you come this way and stay over night, Glen Eyrie Castle is next door and a rather unique place to stay with good landscape and wildlife, A religious retreat that lets out rooms in the castle or cabins. Town of Victor in the foothills above the Springs is photogenic and you can go back to Denver via Hwy 67, through Deckers and the South Platte River.

I like barrye's suggestion since you have so little time, partway up Mt Evens is a stand of Bristlecone Pines and at the top of OMG Road is Central City, another nice place to photograph. In June there is Madam Lou Bunch day with the bed frame races and you can walk the streets there at that time of year and listen to the Opera performers practicing. Kinda nice with the old town in the background. It has a nice cemetery too.

May 14, 2016 at 04:27 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Denver and the Rockies

Thx Charlie!!
Scott

May 17, 2016 at 05:13 PM
guitardirky
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Denver and the Rockies

what exactly do you want to see?

May 22, 2016 at 04:29 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Denver and the Rockies

Ok, for photography, the east side RMNP is an AM thing. An early AM thing. If that works for you, it's worth it as you'll also avoid the tourists.

Fortunately Trail Ridge Road can get you up to territory that works for afternoon/evening pretty quickly, so RMNP can work anytime. I'm about 2 hours away and have no problem getting there for a half day of fun. From Denver it's easy. The west side of the park is not as visited and can connect up with a return trip through Winter Park and back down I-70 for a full day circle.

OTOH, a run up to RMNP on 119 (either from I-70 or up 72) all the way along the edge of the Indian Peaks is pretty special as well with lost of stop off hikes along the way. And it's an 60-90 minutes to the starting point from downtown Denver. It's a morning/early afternoon trip (at least for photography) as well.

A two and a half hour one way drive from Denver gets you to Buena Vista (I-70 to Copper Mt., then to Leadville and on to Buena Vista, or out 285). If you are short of time just complete the loop. It's a neat trip and you will see a lot of different topography. But if you have the time, head over Cottonwood Pass towards Taylor Reservoir. Then, either take the paved to gravel road north along the back side of the Collegiate Peaks shooting as you go (best in the afternoon), or head southeast to the mining/ghost town of Tincup. Last time I was in Tincup there was a small, funky bar/restaurant open. From here you'll likely have to follow your trail out unless you have a lot of time and can head down the paved road (742) that gets you to Altmont and then on to Gunnison and back over Monarch Pass and back to either Buena Vista or on to Canon City and to Colorado Springs and back to Denver. The full loop is an ambitious trip for a full day (~450 miles), but you will see a lot - old mining towns, 14k peaks, the Climax mine super fund site, high lakes, etc. Cutting off Gunnison and just heading back over Cottonwood takes 125 miles off the trip without much scenic loss. BTW, the Casa Del Sol in Buena Vista has an Enchilada Santa Fe that if you order it hot will burn your face off. In a good way.

Oh, if you do go to Buena Vista and are running out of time, a trip up the canyon that has Mt. Princeton hot springs in it will get you to the "Ghost Town" of St. Elmo. It's a fun trip as well.

Peace,

Todd

May 25, 2016 at 01:06 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.